U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2011, 07:18 AM

156 posts, read 282,844 times

Advertisements

The rent prices are really going up...It is getting crazy these days. I wonder why. I thought the south was for cheap rent, not anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 07:34 AM

6,131 posts, read 6,440,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing1 View Post
The rent prices are really going up...It is getting crazy these days. I wonder why. I thought the south was for cheap rent, not anymore.
Demand, cost of ownership (e.g. repairs, insurance, taxes, maintenance, services, etc.). Also, as inflation increases it affects the owners of rental properties, who will naturally increase their rent prices to offset the inflation increase.

I don't know what your comparison is, but I suspect the price is competitive with 'like' properties in the area. If not, move...

Old 05-20-2011, 07:42 AM

870 posts, read 1,967,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing1 View Post
It's going up a lot of places, it's still reasonable and you can always negotiate if you've been a good tenant. Greensboro was in an article that had a high proportion of renters so that also affects things.

it's not just limited to NC either, many of my friends in NYC have gotten shockingly high increases this year and some will have to switch apartments.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:49 AM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
In general... rent rates are what the market demand will support.
The specific expenses the LL may have are almost immaterial to that.

Competition, demand, convenience, condition... all sorts of other things matter far more.
But whether a rent is high for YOU... is completely about affordability relative to YOUR income.
---

If a "typical" couple living in a given area are both working full-time at $15/hour...
then their net monthly take home ($15 x2 x2080 x 70%... /12months) should be $ 3640.

Depending on what other monthly payments this couple has to make...
the rent portion of their budget still shouldn't exceed 33% of their net take home earnings.
Personally, I wouldn't want to ever go above 25% of net take home.
---

From the example above... $3640 x 25% = $910 for monthly rent (plus utilities)
Applying the affordability limit of 33% to that $3640 means $1212 for rent is the MAXIMUM

There are even more conservative calculators that include the utility bills in those percentages.
At $200 a month for gas/electric/etc... that means our couple should be able to afford $710 for rent...
but still shouldn't go above $1012 per month.
---

Plug in your own numbers and see where YOU fit into the calculation.
Most landlord's will have done similarly.

Last edited by MrRational; 05-20-2011 at 08:54 AM..

Old 05-20-2011, 02:18 PM

156 posts, read 282,844 times
I just never thought I would see the day when rents would be over a grand in NC. When I first came here it seemed like 500 was the norm...

Old 05-20-2011, 02:21 PM

546 posts, read 1,121,999 times
The many foreclosures and poor economy have created demand in the rental market, as people give up their homes to become renters, or homes are vacant and off the market while foreclosures process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point