Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 08:37 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,556,392 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
What about someone who speaks Chinese? They won't know what that Randomly Capitalized Flyer means.

Of course, I was born here and I'm still not sure what "we only speak American" means.
You present a very good point- for someone who doesn't speak/understand english the sign means nothing- if the sign is translated to the langauge(s) of those that won't be served then it becomes hypocritical.
So really all you have is a sign that designed to draw business from bigoted sympathizers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2011, 05:30 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,191,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowbelle View Post
Of course, I was born here and I'm still not sure what "we only speak American" means.
I wonder how he'd react if an old-timer from Ocracoke or Harkers Island came in with their hoi toide accent.

Old 05-21-2011, 08:46 AM

62 posts, read 187,914 times
Spacey1, youre absolutely correct that we are fortunate to live in a country with "free speech" and he has that right. Perhaps I will exercise that right myself and aside from the sign at my house I will place a sign at my office indicating that I do not treat racists and bigots....After all, it's my right and they have the right to see another doctor.

Old 05-21-2011, 02:06 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,722,628 times
I am sure you knee jerkers will go catatonic on me, but why should his staff have to take time (money) to try to understand someone's language that they do not speak?

I have been in line more than once (not there, by the way) and had to wait while some non-English speaker tried to conduct some complex transaction. That is what social services is for to help folks out that don't speak the language.

Why should paying and English speaking customers (and that is what he means, by the way) be delayed/inconvenienced in a purely discretionary spending situation?

I know if you want to you can see the worst in this guy's sign, but if you were as broad minded as you tell yourselves you are, you might be able to see a bit of the forest, instead of the tree.

Bon Appetit!

Old 05-21-2011, 02:22 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I am sure you knee jerkers will go catatonic on me, but why should his staff have to take time (money) to try to understand someone's language that they do not speak?

I have been in line more than once (not there, by the way) and had to wait while some non-English speaker tried to conduct some complex transaction. That is what social services is for to help folks out that don't speak the language.

Why should paying and English speaking customers (and that is what he means, by the way) be delayed/inconvenienced in a purely discretionary spending situation?

I know if you want to you can see the worst in this guy's sign, but if you were as broad minded as you tell yourselves you are, you might be able to see a bit of the forest, instead of the tree.

Bon Appetit!
Im with you on this this guy isnt discriminating in customers he just trying to provide a business that his employees can help majority of his english speaking customers efficient service.

Hits it right on the money which is what any buisness is in it for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
In this case... the small business owners obligation to accommodate the public is limited. He has the right to not be obliged to make special efforts to communicate with with people unable and/or unwilling to communicate with him.

Old 05-21-2011, 03:59 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,556,392 times
Quote:

Bon Appetit!
This is typical American arrogance, waving the constitution when the argument fits and then flogging it when it doesn't. However, it is his business and he can do as he wishes.

Old 05-21-2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:

Bon Appetit!

Fair enough I suppose. My big gripe is a sheet of paper that says Speak English in 24 point font tacked to the door is really lame and not worthy of the all the attention this guy got from the usual suspects.
Now if he pulled something like the Casa D' Ice guy and used his entire marquee to show the world his rear end that's another story. That dude's at least got some testicular fortitude.

The made up story of threats to him and his business further prove he's just a passive-aggressive jerk. If he seriously had a problem with too many non-English speakers coming in, a sign stating that they don't have a bilingual staff and are unable to accommodate non-English speakers without the snark would work. But phrasing it in an intentionally provocative way while also being to afraid to risk further backlash by having it displayed in a prominent spot outside the place, which would more easily identify the feelings of the owner (and in a place where that honestly wouldn't have much repercussions), just makes him a coward.

Old 05-21-2011, 09:13 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,141,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Reedy Creek Diner owner Greg Simons has put a "No Speak English, No Service" sign back up, and he says this time he's keeping it on display. He took it down briefly two months ago after receiving national attention, saying he was concerned about the safety of his staff. But he says he has received support for the message and put it back on display.

read more English-only sign back up to stay, restaurant owner says
I have been to China yet I don't speak Chinese. I have been to France yet I don't speak French. I have been to Italy yet I don't speak Italian. I have been to Mexico but I don't speak Spanish. In each and every country and others, I did my best to communicate with servers in restaurants by pointing to pictures and using my fingers to indicated quantity. In most cases, my server did his/her best to accommodate me with at least broken English. This is the way one should treat a customer....like a human being.
This man's actions disgust me and embarass me as a North Carolinian. Certainly he does not have an obligation to speak a foreign tongue in his establishment but to say that someone cannot receive service if they don't speak English is a repulsive and closed minded action. I can't even imagine what it must feel like for an international visitor to find themself in his restaurant under that sort of "rule". I can't even imagine how I would respond to seeing such a sign in foreign countries that I visit.

In the end, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to understand what the real intent of this sign is. He doesn't want Mexicans in his restaurant. And that, my friends, is just pure racism.

Old 05-21-2011, 10:08 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
Its a communication issue not racism says the owner Greg.

Here a video of him explaining how Spanish speaking customers was frustrated over the communication barrier and they left.
He doesnt want to alienate any customers.

"No Speak English, No Service" from North Carolina Restaurant -

Old 05-22-2011, 03:57 AM

I think the bigger issue is this must be the one restaurant left in America where not a single person on the kitchen staff speaks Spanish. Don't believe I'll be frequenting this establishment any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point