U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2011, 06:58 PM

156 posts, read 283,725 times

Advertisements

I am about to rent a house and it has a gas pack. I wanted to know what would be the difference between that and electric (which is what i have now.) What would be my bills for this thing. Is it better to have a gas pack or all electric.
I need to know so that I can make decision on this house or not.
The house is old and rent is 700. (3bd/1bath, one level, 1200sq ft)
It is between this house and a house that is 850 and all electric. (3 bd/2bath 1400sq ft)

Any advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2011, 08:03 PM

28,596 posts, read 62,421,576 times
I have never heard that expression before this evening.
so I googled it and found this

The difference with almost all HVAC systems still comes down to the install (duct design, equip sizing etc) and insulation.

Old 05-24-2011, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
I have never heard that expression before this evening.
so I googled it and found this

The difference with almost all HVAC systems still comes down to the install (duct design, equip sizing etc) and insulation.
Thanks for quick reply. I just wonder if I should even bother dealing with the extra bill and will gas be higher than electric as far as heating goes. I need to know asap so I can make my decision.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:02 AM

93 posts, read 118,545 times
Is it between the gaspack and a heat pump or between a gaspack and a/c + electric heat? Electric heat can be awfully expensive (note: haven't had it in NC but have had it in NY) and usually makes the house even drier than gas heat does. So if its a/c + electric, I'd prolly go gaspack.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg5green View Post
Is it between the gaspack and a heat pump or between a gaspack and a/c + electric heat? Electric heat can be awfully expensive (note: haven't had it in NC but have had it in NY) and usually makes the house even drier than gas heat does. So if its a/c + electric, I'd prolly go gaspack.
the house has a gas pack, which controls both electric ac and gas heat. I wanted to know if having gas heat will be higher than having electric heat. I have all electric now, and the bills aren't bad. But the landlord quoted me $150 avg in winter for gas bill. And that is not including my electric bill I still have to pay. With all electric now, I pay about 160 in the winter. So I am guessing that electric will be better and just stay away from houses with gas.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:21 AM

870 posts, read 1,972,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishing1 View Post
the house has a gas pack, which controls both electric ac and gas heat. I wanted to know if having gas heat will be higher than having electric heat. I have all electric now, and the bills aren't bad. But the landlord quoted me $150 avg in winter for gas bill. And that is not including my electric bill I still have to pay. With all electric now, I pay about 160 in the winter. So I am guessing that electric will be better and just stay away from houses with gas.
My former home was just under 1300 sqft and my highest gas bill was at $125 but my house was built in 1991 so if the home is older I can certainly see it being higher. I remember one friend whose home was very old and needed updates badly and his ran $400. After two bills like that he decided to just sit and freeze

I'm sure it also depends some on do you lower it during the day while you are gone, are you willing to wear a few more layers etc?

Old 05-26-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncsualum2004 View Post
My former home was just under 1300 sqft and my highest gas bill was at $125 but my house was built in 1991 so if the home is older I can certainly see it being higher. I remember one friend whose home was very old and needed updates badly and his ran $400. After two bills like that he decided to just sit and freeze

I'm sure it also depends some on do you lower it during the day while you are gone, are you willing to wear a few more layers etc?
I'm a stay at home mom, & black lol so in the winter I like it toasty inside.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point