Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2011, 09:33 AM

3 posts, read 6,039 times

Advertisements

I am hopeful that my family will relocate to NC around the Triad area this summer. I immigrated, legally , from the Philippines in 2000 to New Jersey. I have twins, born here, that are going to be in 4th grade in the next school year. We are looking to reside in the Greensboro 27410 area or High Point 27265 area.

Any residents in the areas (or Triad in general) that have any feedback or comments that we should be aware of?

1. Quality of education in the areas I mentioned? - The reason that I picked these areas is that Realtor.com has high ratings for school in these neighborhoods.

2. Taxes? How much tax should I expect for a 3 bedroom single family home?

3. I noticed in city-data.com that there are only a few Asians in the Triad area, is this a problem?

4. Based on city-data.com, crime rate in High Point and Greensboro is showing higher than the State and National average, should I be worried about this?

5. Government service - Is the service (ie. Sewer, garbage, etc) good?

6. Recreation - we are not really fond of nightlife so it does not quite bother us that some around here mentioned the lack of it in the Triad area. We do like Nature activities and already, I like that Hanging Rock - with a lake for swimming is not too far.

Any feedback or comments, pros and cons, are very much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 03:18 PM

3 posts, read 6,039 times
So my family and I went down to NC over the Memorial Day weekend to check out the place. We looked at the office in High Point and it was nice - around the Palladium area of 68.

We also looked at houses for sale around NW and SW of Guilford which corresponds to the school districts and found that the neighborhood is nice.

Then I got to talk to another Filipino whom we met at the church (we attended the Sunday Mass) and he advised me to consider renting an apartment before buying a home. Unfortunately, we did not have the time to check the apartments because we had to come back to NJ.

We have decided to take the advice and we have narrowed down our apartment search online to this one: Allerton Place. Does anyone have any feedback on this apartment?

Also, I am interested in the schools that the apartment is assigned to:
Elementary School: Colfax Elementary School
Junior High School: Northwest Middle School
High School: Northwest High School

All schools have high positive reviews but any personal feedback would be nice. My kids will be in 4th grade this coming school year.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 8,961 times
Default Relocating to GSO

I just move from the 27410 area I loved it and would not have left if not for my job I am from Ireland and was naturalized this year. Taxes we rolled into the mortage
there are all races in our neighbourhood and I have not had any issues being form a different country my neighbours were friendly and helpful they are caring for my garden right now untill the house sells.
There are good public and private schools 15 min from the house
We were afraid of the crime rate too when we moved 6 yrs ago there is none in our area it is east of the city and and some in down town late at night just bar fights btu with work and kids you will not go much if at all in to those areas I have friends in the police force that think the stats are misrepresented for press sales as their jobs are not stressful or dangerous like big cities.
I hope i have helped you you will love GSO a great place to raise a family please consider below looking at my house as a potential home for your family mine was very happy there.

We lived in River Hills plantation off Bryant Blv 10 min form airport in the best school district in GSO friendly neighbut hood all the kids played in the street together with a lake and park at the back of the house.
Moderator cut: tos violation
Quote:
Originally Posted by amilix View Post
I am hopeful that my family will relocate to NC around the Triad area this summer. I immigrated, legally , from the Philippines in 2000 to New Jersey. I have twins, born here, that are going to be in 4th grade in the next school year. We are looking to reside in the Greensboro 27410 area or High Point 27265 area.

Any residents in the areas (or Triad in general) that have any feedback or comments that we should be aware of?

1. Quality of education in the areas I mentioned? - The reason that I picked these areas is that Realtor.com has high ratings for school in these neighborhoods.

2. Taxes? How much tax should I expect for a 3 bedroom single family home?

3. I noticed in city-data.com that there are only a few Asians in the Triad area, is this a problem?

4. Based on city-data.com, crime rate in High Point and Greensboro is showing higher than the State and National average, should I be worried about this?

5. Government service - Is the service (ie. Sewer, garbage, etc) good?

6. Recreation - we are not really fond of nightlife so it does not quite bother us that some around here mentioned the lack of it in the Triad area. We do like Nature activities and already, I like that Hanging Rock - with a lake for swimming is not too far.

Any feedback or comments, pros and cons, are very much appreciated.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-09-2011 at 12:50 AM..

Old 02-22-2012, 04:32 PM

1 posts, read 1,209 times
1) The better school systems near High Point/Greensboro area are either Trinity School District (in Randolph County) or East Davidson School District (in Davidson County). Trinity is a small community with the essentials of Walmart, a variety of restaurants, gas stations and grocery stores. Interstate 85, Hwy 311 and 29/70 are easily accessible and a quick 5-10 minute drive into High Point or Greensboro. We live in Trinity and love the country setting that is so close to the city.
2) Our house is currently on the market in Trinity (in Randolph Co). (We are relocating closer to family.) Our house is appraised at $250,000 (listed for sale for $244,900) and our taxes this year were only $1600.
3) I am white, but have friends from all backgrounds and there doesn't seem to really be a lot of racial issues in the Triad area until you get into certain school districts in Guilford Co (Greensboro & High Point). My brother-in-law is Asian!
4) There are only certain areas in both High Point and Greensboro that I would NEVER travel through b/c of potential crime issues. However, those areas are very few and are confined to their spaces. I'd say that I feel very safe in the Triad.
5) Can't speak to your question you have on sewer/garage pick up other than the rules are very simple. You put your one large trash tote out on the street on your alloted day. This area is very clean and you do not see many areas with lots of pollution. My area is in the county and we pay $45 four times a year for our garage service...we have a septic tank.
6) If you're more into family, outdoor activities, there are lot of very safe parks in Trinity/HP/Greensboro. We are also only 1-2 hour drive from the mountains and 2-3 hours from the beach.

7)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point