U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 07:31 PM

19 posts, read 65,795 times

Advertisements

I moved to Charlotte from Florida and I hate it.I have two children and the schools are horrible and I guess I got use to the slower pace. I am interested in moving to Salisbury or Winston Salem please advise me to which area is nicer and family orientated. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2007, 08:41 PM

Default winston-salem or salisbury?

Thanks for all the information I received about Clemmons I was also interested in another area I heard about it's called Salisbury,NC. Was told it was 45 minutes away from Charlotte or Winston-Salem and very family orientated and relaxed atmosphere please if any one can give additional information it would be appreciated.
Thanks

Old 08-07-2007, 09:18 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,659,860 times
Salisbury is a cute southern city but far as living you are better off in the rural parts of the city than in the downtown area. I notice in prior posts of yours you live in charlotte originally from florida. I highly suggest making a day trip to both cities and get a feel of the area and see if it something you will like.

Winston a little more happening but both are great laid back cities with less hustle and bustle that charlotte offers.

However if you do choose Salisbury you are still within reasonable means to both cities to enjoy their amenities.

Old 08-08-2007, 06:58 AM

Our family really liked Salisbury like you said it seemed very laid back no hustle and bustle just how we like it. Do you know anything about the cancer epedemic in Salisbury?
Thanks

Old 08-08-2007, 07:51 AM

648 posts, read 2,739,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the north View Post
Do you know anything about the cancer epidemic in Salisbury?
???

My wife entire family lives in Salisbury, and I've never heard of this...

FWIW, Commuting from Salisbury to either Winston or Charlotte would NOT be fun. I did Salisbury to Charlotte for a couple of years and I couldn't handle it. And it's getting worse...

Old 08-08-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Salisbury is a cute southern city but far as living you are better off in the rural parts of the city than in the downtown area.
Another . There are very nice neighborhoods, and historic homes, and newly re-done lofts in downtown Salisbury. Plus, I'd rather have my kids in the honors programs at Salisbury High than at any other school in Rowan county.

Please explain...

Old 08-08-2007, 01:54 PM

Found the cancer study, around an asphalt plant on Jake Alexander Blvd.:
http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/document/SALISBURY%20FEB06.pdf (broken link)

Old 08-09-2007, 05:35 AM

2,657 posts, read 7,193,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
???

My wife entire family lives in Salisbury, and I've never heard of this...
If you do a search on this forum for Salisbury, it seems like every time someone asks about the town some hysteric has to bring up the toxic issue. It was fueled by an article in Oprah Winfrey's magazine several years back. I swear, it's become an urban legend

The CDC article is the best cite debunking the issue but do a search for past articles in the Salisbury Post using keyword "Milford Hills". The allegations were taken seriously by the city poobahs; it would certainly have affected the economic development of the town if it had been true.

Quote:
FWIW, Commuting from Salisbury to either Winston or Charlotte would NOT be fun. I did Salisbury to Charlotte for a couple of years and I couldn't handle it. And it's getting worse...
I work [in Salisbury] with someone who lives there and whose spouse works at the Wachovia Campus, there off Harris. It's no fun, that's fer sure. The accident last week that tied up I-85 [tour bus/tractor trailer/multi-car collision] made her over an hour late getting home, and she was heading north I expect that as Concord gets more crowded and expensive, people will be looking at living in the Salisbury area, or at least southern Rowan. There are people moving in who had hours long commutes in California and the NE. To them, commuting from Salisbury to Charlotte will hardly be worth a *piffle* to complain about

Old 08-09-2007, 08:29 AM

Thank you for all the good information.

Old 08-09-2007, 09:27 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,659,860 times
Two cool restaurants you have to try in the downtown area of Salisbury is

La Cava it is located in a historic church. (sounded weird to me when I first went there but it done out nicely. The other is more of place to go for lunch is

Sweet Meadows Cafe -- fancy looking entrees at reasonable prices in a historic building beside this huge Magnoilia tree park. Very friendly staff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point