U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2011, 10:39 AM

5 posts, read 47,994 times

Advertisements

We are in our 30's with 3 children under the age of 8. We are moving to Winston Salem from Atlanta and want to join a country club. The only club I have heard of is Forsyth Country Club. What is its reputation? What other clubs are there around? Cost fortunately for us is not really an issue.

Any and all information is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 01:53 PM

2,647 posts, read 6,081,893 times
What exactly are you looking for? Hard to help much without a little more to go on. Is this primarily for you/your spouse to play golf? Or for the social interaction? Or for the kids to have a swimming pool? Just some or all of the above?

Forsyth CC and Old Town are among the most exclusive, "old money" clubs in town, and they're not the sort that you just walk up and join (you have to know someone and be voted in). But if you have lots of money and want to be in with that crowd, that's where you need to be.

There are many neighborhood pools in the city and surrounding suburbs, so depending on where you live it might make more sense to join the local pool for the kids' convenience, and you play golf at one of the many clubs that cater more to golf. There are many nice public and semi-private courses around. Or you could live in a planned golf community like Salem Glen or Bermuda Run. Lots of choices here.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM

700 posts, read 1,435,703 times
Bermuda Run is more a private live in community. Money works well there. You could always buy the summer home at Pinehurst.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:31 PM

5 posts, read 47,994 times
Dear arbyunc,

My spouse and I play golf, but this is primarily for us to meet people, have a pool to go to for the kids, activities... In short we enjoy the country club lifestyle, but want to make sure that we are someplace with a lot of families. The "money" aspect doesn't matter either way.

I am not concerned right now about being voted in ect... I am just trying to get a lay of the land in W-S, figure out where to look for a house, where to join to meet people ect... After looking at the house prices ect I think our options are wide open...

Thanks again to all for the help!

Old 06-02-2011, 06:20 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,081,893 times
^ Okay, that helps. It is a bit of a quandry, as where you choose to live will affect which club you'd want to join (assuming you want to live reasonably close). Conversely, the club you want to join may affect where you choose to live. And without knowing anyone or anything about the clubs, it will be hard to know which club is right for you.

I would suggest first focusing on whatever factors affect your location decision, then figure out which clubs are reasonably close. Do you need to be close to downtown Winston-Salem? Are Clemmons, Lewisville, Advance, etc. possibilities? I would think somewhere like Salem Glen or Oak Valley would have more younger families than the older, more established clubs. These are both newer "planned golf" neighborhoods. On the other hand you may find that perfect house while househunting that has a neighborhood pool just around the corner. In that case you could join the pool for a year, meet some new people, and play different golf courses to help you decide which club you might want to join.

Good luck!

Old 06-04-2011, 11:15 PM

3 posts, read 20,141 times
Having grown up at Forsyth spending countless hours on the golf course, I can provide a some insight. Forsyth and Old Town have the traditional country club atmospheres with your typical amenities. Forsyth has a much larger membership than Old Town and it seems like there has really been an influx of new, younger members in recent years. The pool is always packed during the summer and both the golf and tennis pro shops offer numerous activities/events for all members of the family. Socially, there are always a number of events going on, especially in the spring and summer. The biggest events is the 4th of July celebration which is always well attended. As for the golf courses, Forsyth just underwent a complete renovation a couple years back but reviews are somewhat mixed. Bottom line is that it's not a terrible course but it's nothing really special either. Old Town is traditionally rated as one of the top 20-25 courses in the state but I personally don't like it that much. You could play that course a million times and never have a flat lie because it's so hilly; also there are a ton of blind shots. I don't think you could go wrong with either club, but if meeting new people/families is the most important aspect, then FCC might be a better choice just because of the larger membership.

Other options:

Bermuda Run - private gated community/country club. 36 holes of golf (18 at BR and 18 at BR West, which is across the street). I think they have a much older membership so probably not as many young families

Pine Brooke - I'd stay away. It's not much and they've been really struggling financially over the past several years. While it's "private" they've basically opened up the golf course to public play so they can make additional revenue.

Salem Glen - newer golf community but not your typical country club. Semi-private. Younger families.

Oak Valley - similar to Salem Glen but I'm not sure if it has a pool. Semi-private.

Meadowlands - similar to Salem Glen and Oak Valley. Not sure if it has a pool. Semi-private.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:01 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,102,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unc15501 View Post
Meadowlands - similar to Salem Glen and Oak Valley. Not sure if it has a pool. Semi-private.
Meadowlands definitely has a pool. We're closing on a home there next week. I don't know if the pool is available to people with golf memberships. I know for residents, there is an annual fee (separate for normal HOA dues) for use of the pool.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point