U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2011, 07:14 AM

164 posts, read 313,205 times

Advertisements

Great Value dry and canned goods can't be beat for price or taste. I have done taste tests and I am pleased to announce they are equal to store bought.

I also love Teeter and Fresh Market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2011, 01:57 PM

676 posts, read 2,803,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwebb81 View Post
I'll second this statement. I was just going to post in regards to Costco as having good produce/cheese/frozen and bulk items. I was surprised at some of their cheese selections being pretty good, however, you have to like cheese since most come in 2lb blocks. For 3 people, 2 being vegetarians, our grocery list is about 40% Costco, 40% Whole Foods and 20% Walmart. Walmart is on the list just because it's the closest thing for the basics.

For the op's list, everything is pretty spot on description wise and I lament as well in not having a Kroger's or Trader Joe's nearby. I know it's a local brand, but if Food Lion were replaced by Kroger's tomorrow I wouldn't shed a tear, and probably jump for joy.

I'll comment on Whole foods and Earth Fare a little more.

Whole Foods: It is the place in WS for Organic produce, bulk grains and canned/boxed goods. The cheese and bakery is also a welcome treat. Their pricing on most other items is a little high, especially frozen items. We use Boca products and actually get them at Walmart because the price is about half what it is at Whole Foods and Earth Fare. They earned the nickname "Whole Paycheck" for a reason, but as a lot of their products become more mainstream, it has brought prices down. It also helps that they have their own "private label", Everyday 365, I think.

Earth Fare: Some may not agree with this statement, but it is essentially just Whole Foods. Just duplicate what I said for Whole Foods and it fits them just the same.
I agree completely with you for my shopping! My first couple of years here I was going through some hard times not having a Trader Joe's. In my old world I did all my shopping at Trader Joe's, Costco and Target. In my W-S world, I have finally managed to get by just fine without Trader Joe's, but have made a few trips out to Charlotte for fun. I am on a tight budget, but have found ways to do a lot of my shopping at Whole Food's. I stock up with coupons/sales and buy their 365 generic brand. I also use the Lowe's Full Circle organic line for some stuff like frozen veggies. I would be screwed without Costco. I try to make Walmart runs now only once a month and I avoid their produce because so much of it tends to go bad. Their meat scares me, probably just psychological. I also tried Aldi's once and noticed all my produce went bad ASAP there. I have never liked Food Lion and only go to them when I am at the beach. For some reason, every beach town I have been to always has Food Lions?! I think the OP summed up the area grocery stores pretty well.

Old 06-07-2011, 09:20 AM

201 posts, read 519,601 times
I hate how our only options are Food Lion, HT and Lowes. I miss Kroger. It's as if other stores are scared to come into the Triad area??? We used to have Bi-Lo too. We lived in SC for a couple of years and I loved the Publix there, like Kroger but a notch better.

I tend to shop Lowes and HT because they do double couponing and I prefer their meats. Though Food Lion has good deals on their store brand, their meats and produce are not great enough to make me shop there-plus they don't double coupons.

As for Aldi's-my husband refuses to shop there because of the average clientele. I am not a snob and I will go there because I think the canned goods, dairy and frozen are great buys usually. But I don't like how the brands are names you have never heard of?

Old 06-07-2011, 07:05 PM

571 posts, read 925,266 times
I could have written this post, except for the Aldi's experience. I haven't been in one yet. I still miss Trader Joe's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I agree completely with you for my shopping! My first couple of years here I was going through some hard times not having a Trader Joe's. In my old world I did all my shopping at Trader Joe's, Costco and Target. In my W-S world, I have finally managed to get by just fine without Trader Joe's, but have made a few trips out to Charlotte for fun. I am on a tight budget, but have found ways to do a lot of my shopping at Whole Food's. I stock up with coupons/sales and buy their 365 generic brand. I also use the Lowe's Full Circle organic line for some stuff like frozen veggies. I would be screwed without Costco. I try to make Walmart runs now only once a month and I avoid their produce because so much of it tends to go bad. Their meat scares me, probably just psychological. I also tried Aldi's once and noticed all my produce went bad ASAP there. I have never liked Food Lion and only go to them when I am at the beach. For some reason, every beach town I have been to always has Food Lions?! I think the OP summed up the area grocery stores pretty well.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,314,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
Kroger cut some deal with Harris Teeter. The store on Robinhood and others have been close for years. The Kroger's in Va. Seem to be these higher end. Not shopped them just a dash inside. Ingle's. There were a few around back in the day in Kins & Walnut Cove. The one in Walnut Cove is still open. The ones near Asheville seem to be nice with a great selection. Deli and meat counter.
Kroger & HT did a store swap. Kroger took over under performing stores in VA and HT did the same in NC. There are still Krogers in the Raleigh area.

Old 06-07-2011, 08:05 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,314,882 times
Whole Foods & Earth Fare are comparitively the same in their offerings with the edge going to WF in size & selection. We shop EF since it is closer & I love the fresh cut deli meats.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point