U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 01:45 PM

21 posts, read 50,397 times

Advertisements

The heading for this forum is Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point.

Can anyone provide overview comparison of the three cities?

Anything you can offer on how the three stack up would be appreciated. Particularly interested in housing prices/market, public schools, shopping/dining, cost of living, overall vibe of each place, night life, kids activities, parks, etc. Really, anything at all you care to comment on in considering the three (or even just two) areas.

It is looking like family and I will be moving to Triad in December, but will pretty much have choice of where we live, with only slight job reason to favor G'boro.

Thank you for whatever input you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 06:18 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
Interesting question! I live in Clemmons and work in Winston-Salem. I have also worked in Greensboro (commuting every day) and spent some time in High Point, but admittedly I'm not as familiar with those areas. With that said, here are my thoughts for what they're worth:

--There are a lot of similarities among the 3 cities. I think there are many neighborhoods that, if plopped down in the middle of them, it would be difficult to tell which city you were in. And although I haven't paid much attention to housing prices lately, I'd guess they are similar among the 3 towns. I'm sure the more desirable areas of Winston and Greensboro would be slightly higher than High Point, but overall I think similar properties would generally be similarly priced.

--Regarding schools, all three areas have very good schools and some that aren't as good. This is a localized issue, and overall I don't think one area has a particular advantage over another with respect to good schools.

--In all three cities you can find great neighborhoods for families. Common amenities include walkable tree-lined streets, neighborhood pools, greenways, kids' sports leagues, lots of city/county parks, etc.

--There will be more and better shopping/dining/nightlife in Winston and Greensboro since they are larger. Winston-Salem has been enjoying a resurgence of its downtown area over the past 10-15 years, and it's now a decent place to hang out. I'm not as familiar with Greensboro's downtown, but I know there are some nice areas (such as S. Elm St.) I don't think there's much night life in downtown High Point, but someone else may have more info on that.

Hope this helps a bit.

Old 06-08-2011, 10:49 AM

6 posts, read 8,287 times
Default triad comparing

Hi I just moved from greensboro after 6 yrs I loved It compared to Boston MA for a young professional looking to raise a familyit was a great place I had to move for a job but would move back in a heart beat
Taxes I rolled inot mortage 2000 a year
Down town GOS soemnice new restraunts a good theathre thegreensboro collesieum has broadway and circus rock concerts etc with a new olympic size pool opening next year
the parks system is great 30 milse of mountain bike trails connecting 5 parks boating fishing running trails
I lived in River Hills plantation 27410 post code good school district
15 min from city center 10 mins from main shopping complex in GSO and 20 mins from winston salem
Moderator cut: tos violation

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-08-2011 at 11:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point