U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2011, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Charlotte again!!
1,037 posts, read 1,744,459 times
Reputation: 511

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
I can tell you this, I live near Greensboro so from firsthand experience, every time you think Greensboro is making progress, it always seems to take several steps backwards! Case in point, they voted for a 70-plus guy who never had any kind of political experience as their mayor! This same person they elected mayor would then re-open a landfill in which the people (the majority of whom lives in that neighborhood are black) who live in the neighborhood near that landfill were strongly opposed to it being re-opened! If that landfill were anywhere near Battleground Avenue or Wendover Avenue (the part near I-40), that would be a non-issue! What's so disappointing about Greensboro is that this city has a lot of potential, however, it has too much of a good ol' boy mentality and until that changes, it will never amount to anything, IMHO!

I totally agree with everything you just said! The problem is that instead of facing the reality that there is actually a severe racial issue in greensboro, residents choose to pretend it doesn't exist and the problem just gets worse! Every city does have some racial issues but not necessarily to the extent seen here in Gboro. As an African- American and Charlotte native i can tell you that racism is not a big deal in Charlotte because a long time ago residents decided to embrace the racial issues and to integrate All neighborhoods in the city and making sure that ALL businesses interact with each other. In fact Charlotte encourages its business owners to interact with business owners of other races
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2011, 01:15 PM
 
Location: Winston-Salem
700 posts, read 1,436,341 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
What if there was a landfill near your home and they had closed it down only to re-open it, would you be singing a different tune? It's easy to say that when it's not affecting you, isn't it?
I have one about 1 mile down the road. Half mile the way the crow flies. I hear the back up alarms of the trucks. So it is fair close. So I think I can speak on this. Everyone is wanting to say it is because of the neighborhood being mostly non-white that know one cares. The fact is ......
1940s: Landfill off White Street and Nealtown Road opens.
1963: Greensboro City Council votes to buy 184 acres off White Street near Huffman Mill Road for landfill and park purposes.
June 1995: Residents of a northeast Greensboro neighborhood protest the citys plan to open a new phase of the White Street Landfill near their five-year-old subdivision. The Greensboro Human Relations Commission investigates claims by Nealtown Farms residents that the city is discriminating against the mostly black community by expanding the landfill across the street from their homes.
November 1995: Residents of Nealtown Farms file suit against the city of Greensboro, charging that municipal officials are guilty of environmental racism.
June 1996: The city reaches a settlement with the residents
of Nealtown Farms. The city agrees to cover losses for residents unable to sell their homes.
2001: The City Council votes to close the White Street Landfill by 2008.
September 2006: Burnt Poplar Road transfer station is completed at a cost of
$8 million.
Jan. 1, 2007: White Street Landfill no longer accepts garbage from homes and businesses. Trash must be taken to Burnt Poplar Road

Please make note of November 1995 and June 1996. These people have an out and for those who bought their house after this should be going after those who sold them their homes. I an tried of it is because of race card. Fact is that NC is one of the hardest states to site a landfill. The hoops that one has to jump though is many. The fact that landfills that are built now and how they are operated are a far cry from years ago. The thing that landfills have to have is land. Look at the location of the landfill. It is on the edge. Homes have built toward it. The land was purchased for the purpose of being a landfill in 1940. I say give them nothing more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Winston-Salem
700 posts, read 1,436,341 times
Reputation: 310
PRW sorry that you fill you must blame the new mayor for this. Fact is this ball started rolling long ago. Before the present mayor was elected. Barber presented it. At that time saving was around 3 million. Guess they raise taxes and everyone would be happy? By the way........

Greensboro gives its mayor little power beyond that held by any other City Council member. The mayor presides at meetings but holds the same vote as others. The job is considered part-time. City codes say the mayor "shall be the official head of the city," but the chief administrative officer is the city manager, a full-time executive who is directed by the council as a whole.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 02:28 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,690,104 times
Reputation: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
PRW sorry that you fill you must blame the new mayor for this. Fact is this ball started rolling long ago. Before the present mayor was elected. Barber presented it. At that time saving was around 3 million. Guess they raise taxes and everyone would be happy? By the way........

Greensboro gives its mayor little power beyond that held by any other City Council member. The mayor presides at meetings but holds the same vote as others. The job is considered part-time. City codes say the mayor "shall be the official head of the city," but the chief administrative officer is the city manager, a full-time executive who is directed by the council as a whole.
But the mayor does present his or her agenda that they want to present and it has to be approved by the majority on council! I do know that the city manager actually runs the show, however, the mayor still carry out an agenda that must be approved by a majority on council, and everyone knows that his top priority was re-opening that landfill! If Keith Holliday, who btw, is a Republican, is also opposed to the re-opening of this landfill, then apparently it has nothing to with what is right for the community as a whole, rather it has more to do with a current crop of Republicans who are governing more on ideology than governing on sound policy! Furthermore, I find it amusing that you would respond to my post 5 days after I've said my piece and moved on from this! Oh, one more thing, I'm glad that you do live not far from a landfill, I guess you can feel the pain of those residents on White Street who are affected by that landfill, way to go!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2011, 02:38 PM
 
1,111 posts, read 1,690,104 times
Reputation: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
I totally agree with everything you just said! The problem is that instead of facing the reality that there is actually a severe racial issue in greensboro, residents choose to pretend it doesn't exist and the problem just gets worse! Every city does have some racial issues but not necessarily to the extent seen here in Gboro. As an African- American and Charlotte native i can tell you that racism is not a big deal in Charlotte because a long time ago residents decided to embrace the racial issues and to integrate All neighborhoods in the city and making sure that ALL businesses interact with each other. In fact Charlotte encourages its business owners to interact with business owners of other races
You are so spot on, qc dreaming! The difference between Charlotte and Greensboro, and the Triad as a whole, couldn't be so apparent! That's why Charlotte is a more forward-moving city, while Greensboro continues to lag behind and reamain a more divided place!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2011, 05:15 AM
 
Location: Winston-Salem
700 posts, read 1,436,341 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by prwfromnc View Post
But the mayor does present his or her agenda that they want to present and it has to be approved by the majority on council! I do know that the city manager actually runs the show, however, the mayor still carry out an agenda that must be approved by a majority on council, and everyone knows that his top priority was re-opening that landfill! If Keith Holliday, who btw, is a Republican, is also opposed to the re-opening of this landfill, then apparently it has nothing to with what is right for the community as a whole, rather it has more to do with a current crop of Republicans who are governing more on ideology than governing on sound policy! Furthermore, I find it amusing that you would respond to my post 5 days after I've said my piece and moved on from this! Oh, one more thing, I'm glad that you do live not far from a landfill, I guess you can feel the pain of those residents on White Street who are affected by that landfill, way to go!
Five days because I decided to speak after reading it a few times. As for the mayor agenda. You are correct. They do try to steer the board the way they would like things to go. Note: Try to steer. It takes other votes to move it forward. I am sure that higher taxes no one wants to pay. Rep or Dem. How does that play into it. The board was presented options on saving money. This would be one way to do so. They could just cut from the social programs that are so loved by the Dems.

Not sure about the living near the landfill comment was meant to be. I know first hand the traffic, smells, noises and the other nasty things that go with a landfill. It is just not the ols school thinking these days. Guidelines for solid waste disposal have changed. You would be surprised of the number of landfills/transfer stations that operate near communities that never have a problem. And most people do not even know there is a landfill there. It is only when those. Many who do not even live near a landfill. Stir the pot.

The landfills in W-S are in areas that are mostly white. They had their struggles also. You will find if you look at landfills it is very, very hard to permit any type. And if you look at the records of disposal by county. NC is more than happy to send their trash to other states. So I guess. We could say that as long as the trash is not in your backyard it is ok to ship it elsewhere. Regardless of the cost in dollars to the taxpayer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2011, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Charlotte again!!
1,037 posts, read 1,744,459 times
Reputation: 511
We actually stay on textile street, less then 5 minutes from the landfill and u can smell the waste EVERY morning!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2011, 06:56 AM
 
22,769 posts, read 26,209,016 times
Reputation: 14558
i lived in greensboro for about a year, in 2006. prior to that i'd lived in a few different places in South Carolina.

the race relations didn't seem bad in greensboro. young whites and blacks would hang out at the same bars, and that's a big step from what i was used to in SC.

but then at the same time, i also noticed that the politically climate there was different. i'm not sure what it is. politically, blacks seemed a little more organized and pissed off than usual. I noticed that they were unusually proud of their history of protesting. I didn't live there long enough to understand the issues at hand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2011, 02:27 PM
 
Location: Winston-Salem
700 posts, read 1,436,341 times
Reputation: 310
There are black and white issues. Just like everywhere else. The landfill is one where someone decided to play the race card.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-13-2011, 02:41 PM
 
Location: Winston-Salem
700 posts, read 1,436,341 times
Reputation: 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
We actually stay on textile street, less then 5 minutes from the landfill and u can smell the waste EVERY morning!
Sure that is not the sewer treatment plant located on White street or Huffin Mill road. The landfill does no accept MSW at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top