Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2011, 02:18 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,316,119 times

Advertisements

You can all tell my by name how much mountains mean to me!

Just thought it is worth mentioning that proximity to the Blue Ridge Mountains is another advantage to living in Winston-Salem.

You can be on the Blue Ridge Parkway in just an hour from WS, and it's an easy drive, not congested or difficult.

We recently had a blast picking cherries at an orchard just north of Mt. Airy, just below the Parkway. It was so much fun that we picked way more cherries than we could eat. Anyone else interested should check out this neat place, I understand they'll have peaches for picking soon:

levering orchard, virginia cherry orchard, apple orchard, sweet cherries, outdoor theater va

In addition, we saw a really nice vacation home for sale near the orchard. The view was spectacular and the home has never been lived in. From what I gather it could be had for a really reduced rate since the real estate market is so bad right now.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2011, 02:40 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,123,965 times
Yes indeed! Been to Levering Orchards several times to pick cherries, but unfortunately we missed this year's crop. Never got peaches from them, as I prefer to get them from the Sandhills (about an hour south of Winston-Salem).

Old 06-27-2011, 05:06 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,464,944 times
That proximity to the Parkway while ALSO being in an actual city with all those other amenities...
is why I came here.

Old 06-27-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That proximity to the Parkway while ALSO being in an actual city with all those other amenities...
is why I came here.

Glad you are happy in your new hometown and hope you are getting up to the mountains whenever you can!

Have you visited some of the winery's yet?

Chteau Morrisette Winery

https://www.roundpeak.com/

Old 06-28-2011, 03:57 AM

2,657 posts, read 8,005,722 times
/cue the Twilight Zone theme/

We were out for breakfast a few weeks back when a group of people at a table were describing that orchard and giving directions to the waitress

When we lived in the Concord area, it seemed that reaching the mountains was harder. The known roads were interstates and a pain to deal with. Since moving to the W-S area back in 1997, it seems like just a hop, with options to take some very scenic backroads. SW Virginia is a favorite area of ours, easily reached by 421 to Boone (gawd, as much as I hate to see major road construction in the mountains, I wish a bypass would be built around that town. talk about a freakin' snarl to get past that area ) staying on that same road to Mountain City, TN and then 91 (a road that has to be seen to be believed. talk about gorgeous!) to Damascus and the Abingdon area. Took us about three hours I guess. 30 minutes of that was trying to get through Boone We rode up to Marion, VA (passing through Glade Springs, a town that was damn near leveled by a tornado at the end of April
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater ) and stayed at the General Francis Marion Hotel, Marion, Va

For those not wanting to go that far, there are still places like Stone Mountain, Shatley Springs, Grayson Highlands .... While we were in the Boone area, we turned on 194 and rode about 10 very twisty miles back to Todd and visited an historic general store Todd General Store. With gas prices prohibiting long trips, there is a lot to see on day trips, you just have to be curious and willing to poke around for the lesser known attractions.

Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 PM

571 posts, read 1,046,699 times
We were lucky to find Levering Orchard last year and have been twice since then to pick cherries. We had a great time each time we have been. It is indeed a beautiful area. We plan to go back to pick peaches.

We live fairly close to Pilot Mountain, and often drive up there to watch the sunset. We have seen some spectacular sunsets...

We are looking forward to exploring more of this beautiful state.

Thank you for the ideas, Silverwing!

Old 06-29-2011, 05:47 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,665,217 times
Three words: Virginia Creeper Trail.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
/cue the Twilight Zone theme/

We were out for breakfast a few weeks back when a group of people at a table were describing that orchard and giving directions to the waitress

When we lived in the Concord area, it seemed that reaching the mountains was harder. The known roads were interstates and a pain to deal with. Since moving to the W-S area back in 1997, it seems like just a hop, with options to take some very scenic backroads. SW Virginia is a favorite area of ours, easily reached by 421 to Boone (gawd, as much as I hate to see major road construction in the mountains, I wish a bypass would be built around that town. talk about a freakin' snarl to get past that area ) staying on that same road to Mountain City, TN and then 91 (a road that has to be seen to be believed. talk about gorgeous!) to Damascus and the Abingdon area. Took us about three hours I guess. 30 minutes of that was trying to get through Boone We rode up to Marion, VA (passing through Glade Springs, a town that was damn near leveled by a tornado at the end of April
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...type=1&theater ) and stayed at the General Francis Marion Hotel, Marion, Va

For those not wanting to go that far, there are still places like Stone Mountain, Shatley Springs, Grayson Highlands .... While we were in the Boone area, we turned on 194 and rode about 10 very twisty miles back to Todd and visited an historic general store Todd General Store. With gas prices prohibiting long trips, there is a lot to see on day trips, you just have to be curious and willing to poke around for the lesser known attractions.

Wow, talk about coincidence!

Have to agree, southwest Virginia is one of my favorite places too! And being in Winston-Salem gives you great access in less than 2 hours to so many beautiful sites!

We were actually at Stone Mt. just last weekend - love that place!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point