U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 7,413 times

Advertisements

Hi! I currently live in Wilmington, NC. Followed a boy, and that didn't quite work out (we are in the middle of a divorce). I am not looking to relocate until the 2012-2013 school year (I am a teacher), but I'm trying to plan ahead and see where I'd love to be.

I'd love to live somewhere that has the amenities of a larger city without the crazy traffic (I went to college in Atlanta). I would LOVE to be able to live somewhere downtown and being able to walk almost anywhere I needed to go. My major "activities" include CrossFit (of which Greensboro already has 2 locations), contra dancing, and hanging out with my dog. I do usually take my dog to daycare while I work, and I've already checked into a few of the dog daycares online.

I would describe myself as "earthy," (I try to eat as healthily/organically as possible, compost, drive a fuel efficient car). I go to a Unitarian Universalist church. I would love to be able to connect with more people with similar interests and people my age. Does Greensboro sound like it would be a good fit?

Finally, this location means I'd be closer to my family. My mom is relocating to Thomson, GA to care for my grandparents, and my aunt lives in Waxhaw, GA. The other NC places I've been considering is somewhere near Charlotte, NC or the Triangle area. Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2011, 10:45 AM

9 posts, read 22,171 times
This is a bit of a long reply, but I used to live in Greensboro and am considering moving back, and some of the things you mentioned are things I'm thinking about as I decide whether to move back. So I thought I'd offer my input.
Greensboro traffic is probably tame compared to Atlanta, but to me traffic inside the city limits is annoyingly slow. Not crazy-packed, but slow. I commute in, and it takes me just as long to get from the edge of town to my workplace as it does to go the first 20 miles on the highway. Parts of I-40 that go through town are really bad at rush hour, but if you're not using the interstate, that won't matter.
A coworker of mine has talked about doing contra dancing locally, so that exists here, though I couldn't tell you where. Greensboro has a lot of dog people, but I don't know if there are dedicated dog parks. There are lots of parks and greenways where you can take your dog on a leash, though.
Parts of Greensboro are walkable and others really aren't; it depends a lot on the neighborhood. Sprawl is a problem here. There's not a lot of housing inside downtown, and there isn't a grocery store or anything there. However, some friends of mine live just outside of downtown in the Aycock Historic District and that's close enough to walk into downtown. They still have to drive to the grocery store, though. The only neighborhoods I have personal experience with where there's a small grocery or corner market in walking distance is the Lindley Park area (around the intersection of Elam Ave. and Walker Ave.) and the student-dominated areas off of Tate Street. If anyone knows of any other areas like that, I'd be interested in their input.
I also want to warn you that the only UU church in Greensboro is waaay out of town on the west side. That's something I'm considering as I try to decide where to move, too. I don't attend the church right now, but it's something I want to do in the future.
You'll find plenty of people in Greensboro who are crunchy, earthy types (which is one of its draws to me). There's an Earth Fare on Battleground Ave, and a couple of Fresh Markets, and some of the Harris Teeters and Food Lions carry a good selection of organic products, but again, that depends a lot on the neighborhood. The biggest stores in the wealthiest areas have the best organic selection. Lots of neighborhoods have community gardens now, and lots of people have gardens in their yards. I drive by a house in the Lindley Park area every day that has a mixed veggie and flower garden taking up their whole front yard, and it makes me smile. Some of the fancier neighborhoods have HOAs with strict rules about things like that, though, so if you move here, keep that in mind.
I'll wrap up this way too long response by saying that Charlotte probably is not what you're looking for, but the Triangle might be. One of the cities I'm considering instead of Greensboro is Durham. It's smaller, and it seems to have lots of the same pros without some of the cons of Greensboro. I've heard good things about it. It also has two UU churches.

Old 07-14-2011, 11:10 PM

21 posts, read 50,386 times
Default helpful

No reason to apologize for lenghty reply, Secondhandmoon. I found information you offered quite useful, as I am in similar circumstances as original poster.

You conclude by saying you are considering move to either Greensboro or Durham. That is exactly the thinking of wife and I at this point.

Wondering if you or others have points of direct comparison to offer concerning schools, kids activities, tennis community (a plus during our previous time in G'boro and I'm not sure about Durham tennis facilities and programs), restaurants, and other factors.

Would also like input as to whether Durham or Greensboro is likely to offer more bang-for-the buck in housing. Looking to keep it under $200,000, either townhouse or single-family home, safe and kid-friendly area with reasonable access to shopping and dining.

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:14 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,300,457 times
Depending on exactly want you want will determine where you will live downtown. If you desire a house you can get as close as the UNCG/College Hill area and be within a few blocks of downtown. If you are looking for an apartment/condo these can get you right on Elm St if you desire. There are 3 grocery stores within biking distance of downtown: Harris Teeter on Friendly, Earth Fare (health food store) on Battleground, and Deep Roots (co-op heath food store) on Spring Garden. From the dowtown area you can get to most destinations within 10-15 min. I don't know when SHM lived in G'boro last but as far as the thoroughfares go motorists tend to drive the speed they think the road will tolerate.

Old 07-23-2011, 11:22 PM

74 posts, read 174,550 times
I'm surprised you did not look for this yourself, it was easy to find a UU church in Greensboro. It's right on Guilford Colllege Rd.

Unitarian Universalist Church of Greensboro

As the last poster mentioned, College Hill is very good. We're getting a Whole Foods soon in Friendly Shopping Center. We have quite a bit of organic places to choose from and most any place will meet your needs, such as the College Hill or area around UNC-G (north of Lee St - as soon as you go south of Lee St the crime rates go up).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point