U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 01:07 PM

7 posts, read 9,304 times

Advertisements

We are relocation from the midwest. I am curious about the school scenario in Clemmons. We are interested in a home in Asbury Place. What grade school would that be? Would you consider the schools in Clemmons to be good? How would they compare to a Catholic school such as Our Lady of Mercy in Winston Salem? What type of impressions do you have of these schools? Is one option better than the other? Thank you so much for any insight! This website has been so helpful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 02:37 PM

700 posts, read 1,440,748 times
Clemmons??? Well Clemmons Elementary is a good choice. Asbury Place is ok. Waterford off peacehaven is a bit better.

Old 07-06-2011, 03:14 PM

7 posts, read 9,304 times
Thanks 72 for the info. We did look through a house in Waterford, but we didn't like it quite as much as one in Asbury Place. It was a fabulous neighborhood though!

Do you know anything about the Catholic schools in the area, particularly Our Lady of Mercy? Do families in Clemmons tend to send their kids to private or perochial schools over public schools? From what I have read, including the state report card, Clemmons Grade School is a great school!?

Thanks!

Old 07-06-2011, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by b6jpick View Post
Thanks 72 for the info. We did look through a house in Waterford, but we didn't like it quite as much as one in Asbury Place. It was a fabulous neighborhood though!

Do you know anything about the Catholic schools in the area, particularly Our Lady of Mercy? Do families in Clemmons tend to send their kids to private or perochial schools over public schools? From what I have read, including the state report card, Clemmons Grade School is a great school!?

Thanks!
It's a mixed choice. Do not know much about Catholic school.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:11 AM

2,655 posts, read 6,109,743 times
Public schools in Clemmons are very good, and most people choose them over private schools. There are a few private school options, but they aren't in Clemmons (Lewisville has Forsyth Country Day, and there are several religious-affiliated schools in Winston-Salem). People typically send their kids to private school either because they have lots of money (FCD, Summit School), or for religious reasons. They don't do so because the public schools are undesirable. In fact, one could argue that the west side public schools offer a better education than the private schools. This is partly because of the salary discrepancy--private schools don't pay as well as public schools, and the local county supplement in Forsyth makes the discrepancy even larger. Also, the public school magnet and Career Center programs offer many subjects and opportunities that private schools don't. Many prominent families send their kids to public schools because they are so good. So there's really no reason to spend money on private schools unless it's a religious preference.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 3,751 times
Thanks arbyunc! I am also looking to relocate to Clemmons and I'm afraid of the schoos
being a problem. I am from NJ and my boys are going to be in H.S. I hope Clemmons' schools prove to be good to great!

Old 08-12-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal Waters View Post
Thanks arbyunc! I am also looking to relocate to Clemmons and I'm afraid of the schoos
being a problem. I am from NJ and my boys are going to be in H.S. I hope Clemmons' schools prove to be good to great!
Why are you afraid of the schools being a problem? Is that from the normal move anxiety, or have you seen/heard something specific that caused you concern?

Old 08-13-2011, 10:32 PM

3 posts, read 3,751 times
Yes, the normal move anxiety and my boys are in a great school system. I moved to my current neighborhood because of the great schools.

Old 08-14-2011, 05:01 AM

^ I think you'll be very impressed with the west side schools. Both West Forsyth and Reagan high schools are considered to be very good by most measures, and with the additional academic and trade courses available at the Career Center they offer a great education for students at all levels.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ I think you'll be very impressed with the west side schools. Both West Forsyth and Reagan high schools are considered to be very good by most measures, and with the additional academic and trade courses available at the Career Center they offer a great education for students at all levels.
One draw back on the Career Center. They had it center to most of the schools. Now, Let's drive to the hood. Poor choice of locations if you ask me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point