Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2011, 12:23 AM

1 posts, read 4,550 times

Advertisements

I was going up to Raleigh from Charlotte on I-85 N a few days ago when I got pulled over at Greensboro for going 83 on a 65. Honestly, I wasn't aware that I was going that fast because I was deep into the drive already. The cop was nice to me and lowered my ticket to 75mph. Since it's my 1st time getting a speeding ticket, he explained to me all the options; pay the fine ($185) before the court date and not go to court, show up to court and try to get them to drop it, if not then I'd have to pay the fine. I know for sure that I'm not paying the fine before the court date because that'll just make my insurance go up. I'm wondering if I should get a lawyer to get it dropped, or can I handle it myself (if you do suggest to hire a lawyer, it'll be great if you can recommend a good lawyer as well). I don't mind driving down to Greensboro and skipping school on my court date. Also, since the cop reduced it to 10mph over, will my insurance go up? I read somewhere, that 10mph over wouldn't affect your insurance, so I just want to make sure that it's true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2011, 08:10 AM

84 posts, read 216,899 times
See if you can get it to under 10. I think that keeps the insurance rate hit down or non-existant.

Do show to court though if possible- I think that helps.

The 15 over is the biggie- because that can lead to a suspension, so you're lucky on that.

Old 07-08-2011, 02:59 PM

700 posts, read 1,646,528 times
Go to court and just tell the truth. If you have a clear record. They might give you a break.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:23 PM

143 posts, read 485,575 times
Default Prayer for Judgement

If you live here - you can pay a lawyer to go to bat for you and if you have a clean record, he or she will get you a "Prayer for Judgement" - which will wipe your slate clean and avoid surcharges.

You must "keep your nose clean" for two years and all will be good.

The down side is you'll have to pay $150 - 200. If you just pay the ticket, it's not much less than that and by hiring the lawyer and getting a PFJ you'll avoid surcharges.

Yeah, it stinks that the system is rigged for lawyers to rake in the dough, but that's the way it is.

If you're from out of state, you really don't have much choice unless you come back and go to court.

Old 07-14-2011, 07:04 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve W View Post
If you live here - you can pay a lawyer to go to bat for you and if you have a clean record, he or she will get you a "Prayer for Judgement" - which will wipe your slate clean and avoid surcharges.

You must "keep your nose clean" for two years and all will be good.

The down side is you'll have to pay $150 - 200. If you just pay the ticket, it's not much less than that and by hiring the lawyer and getting a PFJ you'll avoid surcharges.

Yeah, it stinks that the system is rigged for lawyers to rake in the dough, but that's the way it is.

If you're from out of state, you really don't have much choice unless you come back and go to court.

This has been discussed before on other threads--be careful with the PJC. Your household is allowed only one PJC every three years. If you use it for a minor speeding ticket, it won't be available if you or someone in your household does something more serious. If you have a clean driving record, it's very likely the DA will reduce the charge without needing a lawyer.

And to clarify, if you're out of state you do have the choice of getting a lawyer to handle it for you. In most cases the attorney can get you a reduced charge if not more, and their fee is more than covered by the insurance savings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point