U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 02:13 AM

140 posts, read 279,833 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this thread. I am considering relocating and Greensboro came to mind..UNTIL I read about the whole flash mob thingy. What's up with that? The area still looks appealing but these disturbances are a cause for concern. Aren't there after school programs and activities in the area for teens? What's crime like in general in Greensboro and the rest of the triad? I think they need yo make an example of who ever they caught,send them to like a month long intense bootcamp and then give them a year of hard community service, have them picking up litter cleaning toilets and put it on the news so that these kids and any kid who see's it will think twice before ever creating a flash mob again. I also believe their should be a permanent curfew in every town, no kids under 18 out after dark or at least 10 pm without a parent or adult.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2013, 08:13 AM

7,278 posts, read 13,529,272 times
This is a two-year-old thread. This hasn't been an issue since.

Old 07-09-2013, 04:28 PM

109 posts, read 170,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Last weekend they beefed up patrol and played classical music over a stereo. Seemed to work.
Sorry - and I know this is off topic but this cracked me up - it reminds me of the scene of World War Z (book obviously - not that rip off movie) where they talk about the U.S. military jacking out 'Enter the Sandman" before starting a line of defense on the zack (zombies).

It just gave me a visual of a bunch of old people with walkers putting on Mozart and chasing young kids through the streets!

Old 07-09-2013, 04:56 PM

1,486 posts, read 1,696,911 times
Whippersnappers.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:21 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,311,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLTMark View Post
Sorry - and I know this is off topic but this cracked me up - it reminds me of the scene of World War Z (book obviously - not that rip off movie) where they talk about the U.S. military jacking out 'Enter the Sandman" before starting a line of defense on the zack (zombies).

It just gave me a visual of a bunch of old people with walkers putting on Mozart and chasing young kids through the streets!
On their scooters running over the backs of the kid's heels wacking them with their canes.

Old 07-11-2013, 07:30 PM

24 posts, read 54,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
This is a two-year-old thread. This hasn't been an issue since.
Actually, this is a major issue in Greensboro. Just recently, Greensboro had to implement a curfew in downtown to prevent rowdy teenagers from driving away the little business that is left.

Greensboro approves downtown curfew for teens | MyFOX8.com

The real problem is a lack of parenting here...instead of watching what their kids are doing, some irresponsible parents just turn their kids loose and they end up migrating toward downtown. It's unfortunate that these teenage past times have devolved into quasi-gang turf wars. I hope that Greensboro can get it's downtown back under control...

Old 07-11-2013, 08:28 PM

I was talking about this "flash mob" thing. I wasn't suggesting there was no youth crime in GSO.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deacon Dawg View Post
Actually, this is a major issue in Greensboro. Just recently, Greensboro had to implement a curfew in downtown to prevent rowdy teenagers from driving away the little business that is left.

Greensboro approves downtown curfew for teens | MyFOX8.com

The real problem is a lack of parenting here...instead of watching what their kids are doing, some irresponsible parents just turn their kids loose and they end up migrating toward downtown. It's unfortunate that these teenage past times have devolved into quasi-gang turf wars. I hope that Greensboro can get it's downtown back under control...
Driving the away the little business that is left? You wish. Just like you the media blows this out of proportion.

This activity goes on at every mall in the triad or anywhere else parents can dump off their teens. I've seen it happen at Hanes, Four Seasons, Oak Hallow, and the Palladium; parents drop their kids off (because the parents drove them there), they wander around not buying anything, clogging the aisles, and at some point the bad apples get into trouble. In most cases the respective venues enacted some sort of security measures to curtail the teen loiterers. It's easy to watch and corral teens in a mall, much harder in the expanse of the outdoors. Additionally, unlike being driven to the location, many of the teens hanging out in downtown Greensboro are within walking distance. While poor parenting contributes to the way they act, "turning their kids loose" is an over statement.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:58 AM

Oh, is this one of those dumb Winston vs. Greensboro things? Sheesh. Both cities are nice. Let's move on.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
Oh, is this one of those dumb Winston vs. Greensboro things? Sheesh. Both cities are nice. Let's move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point