U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:47 PM

127 posts, read 148,295 times

Advertisements

There's an article in The Atlantic Cities today about Greensboro's curfew for downtown: With a New Curfew, Is Downtown Greensboro Telling Young Black People to Stay Away?

The author is a bit biased (as you can probably tell by the title), but she raises a good question at the end of the article: How can Greensboro maintain a positive environment where young people can meet up? (And, I might add, is it the city's responsibility in the first place?)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2013, 05:04 PM

5,239 posts, read 6,760,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel8406 View Post
There's an article in The Atlantic Cities today about Greensboro's curfew for downtown: With a New Curfew, Is Downtown Greensboro Telling Young Black People to Stay Away?

The author is a bit biased (as you can probably tell by the title), but she raises a good question at the end of the article: How can Greensboro maintain a positive environment where young people can meet up? (And, I might add, is it the city's responsibility in the first place?)
It's saying to young people, if you can't act like ladies and gentlemen when downtown, you must be treated like children, thus the curfew. Safety and maintaining law and order is the city's responsibility.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:51 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,139,301 times
Just to add my 2 cents worth on this issue. Roanoke had a similar problem with teens congreagating at a local Mall a few years ago. On a Saturday night it was obvious the teens were just coming to the Mall to hang out. It turned out a few of them starting shooting each other. This cannot be accepted anywhere so a curfew was established by the Mall and the teens are no longer there and no problems exist now. We had a problem with a Black club which attracted a rough crowd downtown. After guns were introduced the Club was shut down. Period. No more problem. Good Luck Greensboro on your continued success in improving your downtown!

Old 07-18-2013, 04:26 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,304,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheel8406 View Post

Pretty biased article indeed. It's pretty stupid to call it profiling when, by the writer's own admission, the kids causing trouble were black. Are we supposed to ignore those breaking the law because of the color of their skin?
As far as I'm concerned it's not the city's responsibility to be surrogate parents, but it is the city's responsibility to keep peace and order.
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
Just to add my 2 cents worth on this issue. Roanoke had a similar problem with teens congreagating at a local Mall a few years ago. On a Saturday night it was obvious the teens were just coming to the Mall to hang out. It turned out a few of them starting shooting each other. This cannot be accepted anywhere so a curfew was established by the Mall and the teens are no longer there and no problems exist now. We had a problem with a Black club which attracted a rough crowd downtown. After guns were introduced the Club was shut down. Period. No more problem. Good Luck Greensboro on your continued success in improving your downtown!
As I stated earlier it has also been an issue in the past with local malls in this area, in which people tend to forget. When school starts back the issue will resolve itself.........until next summer.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:48 PM

127 posts, read 148,295 times
Yeah, my take on the whole situation is that it's the city's responsibility to provide law and order but not necessarily to provide a place for young people to meet up/hang out. If they want to do that, that's fine but it's their parents' responsibility to ensure that they're not breaking the law. If the parents can't do that, then throw in a curfew.

Glad that there's mostly good news associated with Greensboro's downtown...I haven't been back in years but it's interesting to read about the changes.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:56 PM

774 posts, read 1,614,760 times
Default the future is here already?

I don't know if many of you see a deeper meaning in this... but it's all apart of the "Designed Frustration" we're all under. Eventually, when you continue to frustrate human beings from reward, they become violent. It's what these mass shootings are about. This is known. It keeps people from working together to improve their lot. It keeps the Status Quo in place.

John Watson, the father of Behaviorism said, "Give me a baby and I'll make you any kind of man." All this goes back to the Norman Conquest ... no ... it actually goes back to Plato.... how the rulers control the masses. Doesn't matter if it's Capitalism or Marxism ... they use the same tactics.

Our schools are products of B.F. Skinner .... and that's why they removed the arts from, "No Child Left Behind." Hope it's clear by now that the super rich don't give a hang about labels like, "Republican" or "Democrat". It's the banks. Ford created the assembly line because he didn't want his workers to think. Standardized test aren't about the love of knowledge... it's about training young minds to study for the test, then regurgitate the answers, and forget the crap they just learned so they'll be good workers and not independent thinkers. (Deep thinkers usually don't do well on those tests. Why study if you've learned the knack of test taking??)

The test is designed not to pick out the smartest students... but instead, the size of the house nearest the school. That's what tracking is all about. The only chance for any self-esteem for kids who are denied pats on the head in school is to become an outlaw. This is known. That's why the Prison Industry was privatized and expanded back in the 80s.

We're living in a time and place that is defined only by war.
America has only had 26 years of peace in its entire history.
All wars are bankers wars... and the bankers bankroll both sides. The men and women who fight come back all screwed up and only 12% of the corporations they fought for even hire vets.

This is what the movie, "The Matrix" was about.

All our opinions... our reactions ... are attached to strings that are being pulled from the 16th Century.
This is what the American Revolution was about... and what the war of 1812 was about. The Bank of England, the Fed and the Rothschild banking family.

Don't take my word for it... pull up YouTube and search for, "Social Engineering."
Fasten your seat belts folks because we're in for a slow decline.
We had a good ride. Next stop, Corporate Totalitarianism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point