U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2011, 05:48 PM

23 posts, read 48,060 times

Advertisements

My husband has two opportunities in the wonderful state of North Carolina we are very very clueless and do not know anything about either area . We have two small children 5 and 6 so schools are huge to us. I am NOT a city person at all. They are both at hospitals at different sides of the state. Could anyone give me any insite on the pros and cons of either ? I would greatly appreciate it!!
Kelli
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 05:56 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,897,864 times
Congratuations on the opportunities.

WSalem: I just left there, moved to the SC coast.

Much larger, some good schools available; as far as I am concerned, there is nothing outstanding about the area. The requisite shopping, mod weather but it does sleet, ice and snow in winter there. They do a good job with the arts for such a town, and if you mean Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center for a job, the institution is highly respected...and I worked there for years.

Wilmington: Smaller, much more geared to tourists due to the beach. Good schools are to be found I am sure. Weather more moderate in winter....much more to do close by...parks, the beach, attractions; fun downtown on the riverfront too, very pretty...a boardwalk along the river, nice restaurants etc. I am not familiar with the hosp there, really, but think it too has a good rep.

Someone else will chime in with more info....I just personally don't care for Winston Salem....and am so glad I moved to the coast.

Good luck~

Old 08-12-2011, 09:02 PM

676 posts, read 2,802,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Congratuations on the opportunities.

WSalem: I just left there, moved to the SC coast.

Much larger, some good schools available; as far as I am concerned, there is nothing outstanding about the area. The requisite shopping, mod weather but it does sleet, ice and snow in winter there. They do a good job with the arts for such a town, and if you mean Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center for a job, the institution is highly respected...and I worked there for years.

Wilmington: Smaller, much more geared to tourists due to the beach. Good schools are to be found I am sure. Weather more moderate in winter....much more to do close by...parks, the beach, attractions; fun downtown on the riverfront too, very pretty...a boardwalk along the river, nice restaurants etc. I am not familiar with the hosp there, really, but think it too has a good rep.

Someone else will chime in with more info....I just personally don't care for Winston Salem....and am so glad I moved to the coast.

Good luck~
I completely agree with your summary! If you are more mountain people than beach types you may like that Winston-Salem is just over a hour from the mountains. Otherwise, most people I know in W-S are always trying to vacation in the Wilmington area!. I personally think the summers SUCK in W-S and if I could spend it at the beach instead of in air conditioning all day, I would in a heartbeat!

Old 08-13-2011, 03:31 AM

23 posts, read 48,060 times
wow thank you so much !! I'm NOT a winter person at all in fact I despise it one of the reasons we are in Florida thats a whole other topic thanks again!

Old 08-13-2011, 05:43 AM

700 posts, read 1,436,551 times
Kelli it does from time to time snow & ice at the coast. And that is it nothing moves till the sun melts it. Summers are a bit rough in the W-S area. It has been hot this year. I just came back from the Wilington area. It was like standing in fron of a hair dryer. Very hot. Weather in NC is an up and down affair. It will vary widely. The great thing about W-S over Wilmington is the fact that you can get away with a small drive for a day, weekend or week. Let's say you want to get away to the Panthers (football) game hour away Charlotte, see the leaves change Asheville 2 hours away, Hurricanes (hockey) 2 hrs in Raleigh. Go to the beach 3.5. The coast you get the beach, along with the high prices of the tourist style of living. During the Hurricane season, which you know is a toss up. Each has their merits. Each has their negatives. Only you can weigh them for yourself.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:48 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,086,746 times
Just a few thoughts, for what they're worth. First of all, both cities are very nice places to live. I think they are similar regarding things to do, shopping, restaurants, etc. Main differences are:

Climate--as others have noted, Winston-Salem is a bit cooler. Yes, it does get hot in the summer, but it usually cools down nicely in the evenings. Not so with Wilmington. It will be hot and muggy into the late night more often than not.

Topography--Winston-Salem has lots of rolling hills, small creeks and ponds, and mountains are visible. Wilmington is mostly flat, with the river and nearby ocean as the primary topological features.

With nearby Greensboro, and Charlotte a relatively short drive away, Winston offers better access to larger-city amenities. Wilmington is at least two hours from a large city. Economic situation is a little better in Winston, too, and Greensboro and High Point jobs are within a short commute.

As I said, both places are great IMO. You'll just have to visit them both to see which one feels right to you.

Old 08-14-2011, 12:40 PM

700 posts, read 1,436,551 times
I like Wilmington downtown a touch more. A touch of night life. Guess that is what you can do if you have the support of the city council. Winston does need to get going on that some. and forget these sidewalks to nowhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point