U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 05:21 PM

275 posts, read 324,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
Why would you want to look for grits or BBQ when you want a pizza??? Pizza is its own food group and now matter where you live, most people want a decent pizza. It has nothing to do with dissing a region, but craving pizza! NY style is a type of pizza - not a way to slam the south. Jeez.
I agree 100 percent! I was born and raised in the South, and while I love Southern dishes I love a good pizza, too. Mainly New York style but I like Chicago style too. I go to the Mario's in Clemmons, just south of 421, all the time. The Venezia Italian family restaurant in Hillsdale, near Bermuda Run has pretty decent pizza, but I think Marios is a bit better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 05:38 PM

2,653 posts, read 6,096,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You do what you gotta do. When I am in NY, I never look for Carolina BBQ, or even SC BBQ. I don't go looking for grits, or Fried Chicken or even ribs.

I am continually surprised how many yankees are always on the lookout for NY or Chicago or Boston or some other cold place style food.

I suggest you immerse yourself in the local fare.

Bon Appetit!
Maybe you can help us out here by telling us where can we find good NC style pizza. Does it have grits, fried chicken, and ribs on it?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:08 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,110,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Maybe you can help us out here by telling us where can we find good NC style pizza. Does it have grits, fried chicken, and ribs on it?
What about collards?

Old 08-21-2011, 10:29 PM

231 posts, read 611,191 times
I don't know about NC-style pizza, but there's a place in Atlanta that claims to sell "Atlanta-style" pizza. I haven't had the courage yet to find out what that means. Peaches and asphalt, on a Coca-Cola crust, perhaps?

Old 08-23-2011, 11:35 AM

275 posts, read 324,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
I don't know about NC-style pizza, but there's a place in Atlanta that claims to sell "Atlanta-style" pizza. I haven't had the courage yet to find out what that means. Peaches and asphalt, on a Coca-Cola crust, perhaps?
Or just burned?

Old 08-23-2011, 06:56 PM

164 posts, read 313,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
! NY style is a type of pizza - not a way to slam the south. Jeez.
I will say it again: Because of my job, I have lived all over this wonderful country of ours.

NEVER in my life have I witnessed a group of people that LOOKED to be offended like those in NC. It's quite strange.

Thank goodness there are natives that don't have this issue. They are the ones I gravitate to

Old 08-23-2011, 07:31 PM

91 posts, read 176,629 times
I know what ny and chicago pizza is. What is north Carolina pizza? What's the difference?

Old 08-29-2011, 09:01 PM

8 posts, read 28,019 times
I think the biggest hurdle in getting NY-style pizza here is the difference in the water. We just can't truck the water down from NY - it's the same thing with bagels. They just cook and taste differently because of the water. I always think Mario's is about the best we can do. Welcome down south!

Old 08-31-2011, 08:59 PM

54 posts, read 115,169 times
It is not the water. My friend makes NY style pizza in his kitchen here in NC with no problem at all!

Old 09-03-2011, 06:21 PM

700 posts, read 1,438,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyloca View Post
i know what ny and chicago pizza is. What is north carolina pizza? What's the difference?
pork!!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point