U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 11:59 PM

8,100 posts, read 5,025,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
You do what you gotta do. When I am in NY, I never look for Carolina BBQ, or even SC BBQ. I don't go looking for grits, or Fried Chicken or even ribs.

I am continually surprised how many yankees are always on the lookout for NY or Chicago or Boston or some other cold place style food.

I suggest you immerse yourself in the local fare.

Bon Appetit!
but the thing that is funny about that...is.. you CAN find legitimate BBQ and Fried Chicken in NYC .... maybe not grits... but what is "authentic" about grits anyway? boiling water, grits, done!

Anyway, I do agree with you... people should embrace the local fare, however, I am sure they DO. But as with any other locale, when the demographic changes, do does the demand. Somebody will furnish the supply. That's what capitalism is about.

Also, it's a totally different dynamic when you are visiting and when you relocate.. If I was visiting Texas... I wouldn't be looking for a pastrami sandwich from a Jewish deli. But when you have relocated x amount of miles away from home you just want a taste of home! Not too serious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
This 100% southerner would perish without at least a close approximation to NY-style pizza (Burke Street doesn't even come close. It's like school cafeteria pizza. And Mario's is good but expensive if you want to feed more than just yourself) and some decent delis.

But I never look for southern BBQ outside of NC. That's a fool's errand.

Yea, Burke looks the part but doesn't come close. I think the closest I have tasted is Bella Napoli in Clemmons and then Mario's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 09:09 PM

676 posts, read 2,809,332 times
[quote=Hot_Handz;20804561Yea, Burke looks the part but doesn't come close. I think the closest I have tasted is Bella Napoli in Clemmons and then Mario's.[/QUOTE]

Are you talking about the Bella Napoli Express on Hwy 150? Do you go there and consider it good pizza? I wasn't sure what to think because of its strange location.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:06 PM

8,100 posts, read 5,025,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
Are you talking about the Bella Napoli Express on Hwy 150? Do you go there and consider it good pizza? I wasn't sure what to think because of its strange location.
Yes, that's the one... very strange location. I was hesitant. But the pizza was VERY good. A little on the smallish side but the best I have had since I've been down here, by a large margin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point