U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2011, 05:06 AM

3,774 posts, read 7,024,246 times

Advertisements

Mt. Airy "scary"? I guess it could be, if small towns and friendly people scare you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2011, 10:41 AM

12,577 posts, read 13,335,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead59 View Post
hippies don't bother me. I've been called one for years. I did get a good laugh from the glass blowing comment. love the little train too. figured that is from mayberry days. I wouldn't mind a couple old hippies to hang out with when we move there. just so they aren't "scary".
I've had to go to Mt. Airy on a few occasions for work and the people I encountered there are genuinely bass-ackwards, hence the glass blowing reference. Reminds me too much of Rockingham county.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:11 PM

35 posts, read 54,436 times
[quote=WFW&P;21026133]I've had to go to Mt. Airy on a few occasions for work and the people I encountered there are genuinely bass-ackwards, hence the glass blowing reference. Reminds me too much of Rockingham county.[/quote
I got a chuckle from the glass blowing comment. I've only been there a few times and the people seemed very friendly but not really back-asswards. I haven't spent much time in rockingham county, so I am not sure what that comment meant.

Old 09-25-2011, 07:37 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,335,864 times
[quote=deadhead59;21031794]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I've had to go to Mt. Airy on a few occasions for work and the people I encountered there are genuinely bass-ackwards, hence the glass blowing reference. Reminds me too much of Rockingham county.[/quote
I got a chuckle from the glass blowing comment. I've only been there a few times and the people seemed very friendly but not really back-asswards. I haven't spent much time in rockingham county, so I am not sure what that comment meant.
Rural counties just aren't my cup of tea. I'll leave it at that as to stay on topic.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native_Son View Post
Mt. Airy "scary"? I guess it could be, if small towns and friendly people scare you...
I guess I might be scared there since I met lots of friendly people during our visits there. we are wanting to find a small town near the mountains that doesn't have the snow of the mountains, that has reasonable rental property, decent weather, proximity to entertainment, and a quiet lifestyle. mt airy seemed to fit these requirements. I'm still trying to figure out who the scary people are. if there really are issues with living there I sure would like to find that out before we move there.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:17 AM

2,655 posts, read 6,102,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadhead59 View Post
I guess I might be scared there since I met lots of friendly people during our visits there. we are wanting to find a small town near the mountains that doesn't have the snow of the mountains, that has reasonable rental property, decent weather, proximity to entertainment, and a quiet lifestyle. mt airy seemed to fit these requirements. I'm still trying to figure out who the scary people are. if there really are issues with living there I sure would like to find that out before we move there.

Who knows, you might be one of the scary ones too, so you can fit right in!

I seriously think you have nothing to worry about. I'm sure if things are that bad someone else would know about it, and so far no one else has said anything about it. I'm guessing the poster above maybe saw someone with piercings, or long hair, or some other ethnicity. I suppose such people are scary to some.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Who knows, you might be one of the scary ones too, so you can fit right in!

I seriously think you have nothing to worry about. I'm sure if things are that bad someone else would know about it, and so far no one else has said anything about it. I'm guessing the poster above maybe saw someone with piercings, or long hair, or some other ethnicity. I suppose such people are scary to some.
the only thing I really don't want to be around are meth or crack heads. I realize they don't announce where they are, but I would like to stay away from them. I haven't heard of any problems like that in mt airy. has anyone else?

Old 09-27-2011, 11:30 AM

2,655 posts, read 6,102,800 times
^ No more than any other small town in America.

Old 09-27-2011, 11:56 AM

700 posts, read 1,439,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I've had to go to Mt. Airy on a few occasions for work and the people I encountered there are genuinely bass-ackwards, hence the glass blowing reference. Reminds me too much of Rockingham county.
General sums it up. I prefer they could not find their way out of a one sided wet paper bag with a map and a guide. to help them. If you are looking for a small town Elkin is pretty good.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:51 PM

272 posts, read 685,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Since72 View Post
If you are looking for a small town Elkin is pretty good.
I recommend Elkin too. It's 30 minutes southwest of Mt. Airy. Hugh Chatham Memorial hospital is there with plenty of good doctors. It's 45 minutes from Winston-Salem and an hour from Charlotte in case you need a break from small town living.

If you come down to visit, be sure to take Highway 21 up into the mountains from Elkin and check out Sparta. Sparta gets lots of snow in the winter, but there are many places to visit along the way - 2nd hand shops, auctions, and an art gallery or two.

Rural living isn't for everyone. I've lived in cities big and small around the world and somehow ended up in Surry County - and couldn't be happier. It wouldn't have worked 10 years ago, and it might not be right for me in 20 - but it's what I need right now. Be sure to visit a few times and drive around to make sure it's right for you (I recommend the Fairfield Inn in Elkin - one of my favorite hotels).

Oh, and be sure to visit Gondola restaurant in Mt. Airy. It has great Italian food.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point