U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2011, 06:16 PM

7 posts, read 47,158 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!!! My husband and I (24 & 28) moved to Greensboro, NC from Connecticut about 2 months ago. We are currently renting a condo off of Wendover, High Point side I guess you'd say, close to the Palladium. Our lease is up next June and when it ends (possibly sooner than that) we'd like to buy a house. We need help in figuring out where to buy! We are a young, white, working couple with 3 indoor cats, and a love for archery, meaning we want some land! We came from up north, so to us anything over 1/2 an acre is good! We have no children, but are hoping to have some very, very soon, so a good school district and safety is a MUST. I prefer an older home, even if it needs some work, and like I said, some land is a must as well. I love the little towns that have a little downtown area, that is my dream. We both work full-time in Greensboro, so we're hoping to stay within 30-40min. We don't need bars or clubs, prefer drinking on a neighbor's porch or going to dinner. We enjoy a small town, neighbors are friends kinda place. We're hoping to stay under $150,000. We enjoy a country setting, but not a everything-abandoned, shut-down setting. If we're asking too much, let me know! LOL. I know next to nothing about the real estate market down here. We're basically just looking for some town suggestions so we can narrow down the search. We're far from buying, but I'm a planner and you can never research too much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 09:19 AM

11,266 posts, read 19,814,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P. View Post
I love the little towns that have a little downtown area, that is my dream.
I was going to suggest Reidsville, which has a couple of lakes nearby, but people say it looks very run-down. I suggest you do some week-end visiting. If you can narrow down your choices, people will be more willing to help.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:29 AM

11,266 posts, read 19,814,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P. View Post
We're basically just looking for some town suggestions so we can narrow down the search.
There have been several similar discussions on this forum. If you do a Google search on "Small town near Greensboro", they will turn up with many suggestions. I also looked on Realtor.com for house under $150K with over 1/2 acre, and within 20 miles of Greensboro, and there were thousands of listings. So, your price range is reasonable.

Old 09-17-2011, 02:07 PM

7 posts, read 47,158 times
So we've tried to do a tiny bit of visiting so far. Randleman we liked. Asheboro seems to have a nice downtown area, but the surrounding areas seemed a little run down. The problem is we don't even know where to look IN these towns. LOL. I want to visit Elon next. I know we do not want to be in Burlington or High Point.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:33 PM

700 posts, read 1,437,866 times
Default Plenty of time

You have months before you need to decided. I would do this. Look for the next few months. See the areas, go by the schools. They are open. Go by the local police, fire, and government agencies. See what is happening in an area.

Old 09-17-2011, 08:58 PM

676 posts, read 2,804,261 times
Another thing, kids totally change things!!! Look for houses with child friendly floor plans, yards, neighborhoods and amenities close by like good parks, swim lessons, soccer, etc. We bought our house before we realized what having kids was really like and now that we have them, we want to move to be closer to all the things we are constantly driving the kids to throughout the day. Think about your location in terms of preschools and not just elementary schools too! We didn't like the ones near our house and now drive a good distance just for preschool. You will probably also want to be in a neighborhood with other young families. We don't have that and I wish we had friends closer by for my children to play with outside our house like so many other neighborhoods. I know it is weird to think about stuff like this before you have them, but it will help to imagine your home with children if you plan on them in your future. I wish we weren't so naive during our home purchase.....

Old 09-19-2011, 06:53 AM

23 posts, read 47,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
Another thing, kids totally change things!!! Look for houses with child friendly floor plans, yards, neighborhoods and amenities close by like good parks, swim lessons, soccer, etc. We bought our house before we realized what having kids was really like and now that we have them, we want to move to be closer to all the things we are constantly driving the kids to throughout the day. Think about your location in terms of preschools and not just elementary schools too! We didn't like the ones near our house and now drive a good distance just for preschool. You will probably also want to be in a neighborhood with other young families. We don't have that and I wish we had friends closer by for my children to play with outside our house like so many other neighborhoods. I know it is weird to think about stuff like this before you have them, but it will help to imagine your home with children if you plan on them in your future. I wish we weren't so naive during our home purchase.....
I'm sorry I'm going to tag along here but I'm moving to Greensboro very soon (first week of Nov) and we have never been there! we have a 2 and 5 years old and what you have quoted is exactely what we are looking for...kid friendly neighborhood! and good daycare and school and not too far from all the kids activities, so does anyone suggest a neighborhood? from google, it seems Guilford is good school district?? any sugestions are welcomed!

Old 09-22-2011, 09:34 PM

479 posts, read 731,649 times
Lots of couples that graduate from colleges in Greensboro do live in neighborhoods around the Palladium area Wendover/Penny Rd/etc. Skeet Club, Williard Dairy, and Clinard Farms Rd. The trend started around 2005 as the area built up with newer developments and businesses/things to do.

I think the attraction of that area is if one wants to remain in the same house; and a job goes "south" you can get to almost any area of the triad reasonably quickly from there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point