Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-01-2011, 10:33 AM

3 posts, read 13,308 times

Advertisements

Hello, we are moving down south in about a month and I am very curious about the Oak Ridge and Summerfield areas. My husband and I will be working in WS so I understand it can be around a 30 minute drive into town from there. What is the area like - is it far off the beaten path? Is it very farmy, is there shopping close by - grocery stores, the basics? Are there nice communities out there - we are looking for a newer home if possible.

We are also looking at homes in WS and a few other areas but I am really trying to get a feel for Summerfield and Oak Ridge. We are early 30's, no kids yet, we like to go out to eat, spend time outdoors, etc. We currently live in NY but are looking for a more relaxed pace and having a some space!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 08:33 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
I believe those are a couple of the most desirable areas in the Triad. I'm new to the area, and considered the Harvest Ridge subdivision - it has a Kernersville address but Oak Ridge schools (part of the subdivision at least - it straddles the Forsyth/Guilford County line so the Guilford side goes to Oak Ridge schools). You can still find 1 acre lots in Oak Ridge; many Harvest Ridge lots are about an acre, too. It seems that just about everyone that I've run into that lives in Oak Ridge loves it. Not much shopping, but Greensboro isn't far.

We bought in Meadowlands, southeast of W-S - had to settle for less than 1/2 acre, but we love the area. About 15 minutes to Hanes Mall area, which has the indoor mall, just about all the big box stores, etc.

And if you find good NY style pizza in the Triad, let me know.
I grew up in NY s tate (northern Westchester)...so far, the best NY style pizza I've had in NC is in Wake Forest - need something close to the new home!

Old 08-02-2011, 02:05 AM

3 posts, read 13,308 times
we are looking at some homes in Meadowlands! Those are some of our favorites! How do you like it?

Thx for your help!

Old 08-02-2011, 05:55 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
We love the Meadowlands subdivision. We wouldn't mind being a little closer to more services, but we're about 15-20 minutes from just about anywhere in the Triad. Low taxes, good schools, quite area, great neighbors (so far - we're new lol). One issue with Meadowlands is the Highway 109 project - some of the corridors NCDOT is considering run partially through the subdivision. Personally, I'd prefer they just widen the existing road - that's one option; the others being considered involve re-routing Hwy 109.

Old 08-07-2011, 08:55 PM

14 posts, read 33,514 times
Is the Oakridge area open to "outsiders"?

Old 08-25-2011, 07:30 PM

1 posts, read 5,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenJen63 View Post
Is the Oakridge area open to "outsiders"?
Yes, Oak Ridge area is open to (outsiders.) There are probably more (outsiders) than people who were born in the area. OR has grown tremendously in the past 16 years I've been here. The only bad thing is traffic on HWY 68 during rush hour. Greensboro, High Point, Winston Salem, and Kernersville are all within a 30 minute drive or less.

Sidetrack here, but if you choose a sub-division in Oak Ridge, which there are many, wave back to your neighbors. Three new families moved into our sub-division, there's one way in and one way out, maybe 15 houses total. Two of those families do not wave back when I pass by, ever. I just assume they are yankee's and aren't used to waving, but a lot of times I want to end up waving with only one finger. Maybe they'll wave back then

Old 08-26-2011, 04:44 AM

14 posts, read 33,514 times
Thanks silverfire: We drove around the area a few weeks ago and I love the "waving" It always puts a smile on my face to give and receive waves.

Old 08-27-2011, 10:46 AM

1 posts, read 5,768 times
Not everyone is a waver and my knowing some of these non-wavers you shouldn't infer anything by them not waving. some of the wavers I know are down right jerks and some of the non-wavers are quite nice people. I always wave, like to think I am a nice person but my waving doesn't prove or disprove that. With that said Oak Ridge is a great place to live, very easy to get involved in the town or if you like just be left alone.

Old 09-17-2011, 11:22 PM

479 posts, read 835,419 times
If working in W-S, you might want to take a look at Clemmons, NC. There's a ton of local resturants; for such a small place and it's a short hop to one of the biggest shopping areas in the Triad. Hanes Mall, etc.

Summerfield and Oak Ridge/Greensboro I lived in that area for many years and liked it a lot. NW Greensboro, Quaker Village/Guilford College area, Summerfield, Oak Ridge and Clemmons are the only areas of the Triad I'd personally want to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point