U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-19-2011, 10:13 AM

23 posts, read 47,475 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting transfered first week of Nov to Winston-salem and we think we would rather live in Greensboro as it is a bigger city. We've never been there and not sure we have time to go visit, so we might try to get a house to rent at first 'really quickly'! we have a 2 and 5 years old and we are looking for a kid friendly neighborhood where they can play outside and us meet others parents/neighbors! the most important thing for us is a good daycare and a good school...if there are parks or playgrounds for kids activities and shopping (groceries) not too far would be great plus, so does anyone suggest a neighborhood? from google, it seems Guilford is good school district?? any sugestions are welcomed! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2011, 02:59 PM

So I just spent the whole day looking for houses for rent next to EP elem and it seems very rural...may be I should be looking into Winston-Salem instead...
Please any advice is welcomed

Old 09-22-2011, 08:48 PM

479 posts, read 730,710 times
Ep Pearce Elementary School? NW Guildford and Ep Pearce is overall best district for Greensboro.

Erwin Montessori off E. Bessemer is a 10 where Ep Pearce is a 9. Parents rate both schools very highly. Erwin Montessori is more "city" flavor.

Pleasant Ridge Rd is a beautiful area. If you can't find a house to rent around there; Allerton Place apartments have very large two and three bedroom units; many with a golf course view. They're "kid" friendly, have several outdoor play areas, and a nice walking path around the whole complex. Large groups of kids often gather and play, etc. Lots of transfer families live there initially while waiting to buy a house or for their next employers transfer.

If you do look at Winston-Salem; Meadowlark is the highest rated Elementary school. It rates a 10 in scoring, but parents only rate it 4 stars. Where the two examples for Greensboro Parents give both schools 5 stars.

Right now, I live in Clemmons, NC because I work in W-S. If I had kids, I'd be commuting from Greensboro in a heartbeat...so that they could go to school there. Greensboro's got a lot of beautiful parks, the nature science center...the water park, etc. Gosh knows I drive over there every weekend when I want for people to be around and/or something to do.

I've heard that the Ardmore section of Winston around Baptist Hospital area is enjoyable for people with younger children. Adam's Farm and New Garden Road areas of Greensboro are also nice. Greensboro's structured differently vs. Winston. Like it's basically "nine small towns" that interconnect to form the whole. Takes less than twenty minutes to get from one side of Greensboro to the other even from Pleasant Ridge Rd.

Last edited by tegota; 09-22-2011 at 09:00 PM..

Old 09-23-2011, 06:08 AM

Thank you so much for the response that is really helpfull! I was giving up on Greensboro and only focused on W-S but after reading your comments, I will keep a more open mind to Greensboro and I also did not realize that Montessori was a public school... Will look into the apt complex too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point