U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2011, 06:29 AM

23 posts, read 47,484 times

Advertisements

I found a condo for rent that seems in the middle of downtown which looks great and walking distance to almost everything but wanted to know if it is safe (we have 2 small kids)
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2011, 08:35 AM

700 posts, read 1,436,341 times
Safer than other cities. Start with the neighbors who live there. They would know first hand.

Old 09-22-2011, 09:42 AM

Thanks, unfortunately I'm in NY and will not be able to go there until I move next month! I lived in atlanta before and I know downtown is not the place to live but only work during the day...

Old 09-22-2011, 01:21 PM

23 posts, read 46,327 times
Default Downtown Living

I have lived in the downtown area for 10+ years and have never had any problems. With that being said, I would suggest that you take the typical precautions that you would in living/working in any downtown area. Good luck with your move and welcome!

EB

Old 09-22-2011, 02:12 PM

700 posts, read 1,436,341 times
With NY & Atlanta. Be ready for a shock. Downtown Winston is pretty tamed compared to those two. Here your car might get stolen "IF" you leave the keys and a note saying take it. LOL It does has it's minor problems from time to time.

Old 09-22-2011, 03:44 PM

great it sounds exciting to be able to walk to almost everything...lets hope the townhouse doesnt get rented in the next two weeks!
Thanks for the replies!

Old 09-26-2011, 10:01 AM

35 posts, read 69,600 times
I work downtown in the evenings, and I will tell you it's pretty quiet overall - there is a section near Trade/Cherry/4th/Vine Streets where there are quite a few restaurants/bar/shops, but it is a small area, however, growing fairly quickly with that sort of thing......that said, there are also old tobacco warehouses that are currently being converted to lofts and some other stores, etc., being built that should be completed by 2014/2015 - a little ways away yes, but something to look forward to......it is very quiet downtown, but yes, don't be totally naive - since you know big-city life, then this will be a snap, but I am from other larger towns, and realize that if you leave something open to grab, then someone probably will take advantage of it............all that being said, this is a lovely little city, and all the best to you!

Old 09-27-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meloyler View Post
......all that being said, this is a lovely little city, and all the best to you!
Cool thanks for the reply!

Old 09-28-2011, 12:08 PM

7,378 posts, read 6,730,396 times
I live just outside of Winston-Salem, but my wife and I like to go downtown, grab a cup of coffee or some wine and just sit. Its a nice area. I believe that some magazine rated W-S as the 10th most "fun" and "inexpensive" city. Good luck on the move.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:57 PM

729 posts, read 1,469,486 times
I am so glad to hear positive things about downtown W-Salem. I grew up in Winston and lived there several years after college. I have many friends and great memories of downtown and the area... so much so that I am trying to talk my husband into moving back to NC in the near future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point