Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 08:24 PM

22 posts, read 91,525 times

Advertisements

I spent some time in NC this past week and fell in love with a floorplan and model from Pierce Homes. They are building it at The Reserve in Whitsett. The first time I ever heard of the town was this past Friday.

I have done some research online and really can't find too much about it. Not even the builder rep had much to say. It looks like it is extremely rural and they are starting to build it up NOW, which is exactly what I am looking for. Super low taxes, beautiful house, slow and quiet area. Is this the ground floor opportunity I have been looking for??

I see they have an industrial park called Rock Creek Center that has been there for a while and is not living up to its potential. It almost got the big Dell deal which they lost to Kernersville. However, a smaller computer company named Lenovo went with the Whitsett area. Is that a first step towards more companies that will put this place on the map?

The housing development will be 1 mile from the interstate and a couple of exits from Burlington. There is more shopping and restaurants than I would know what to do with. The strip looked like Vegas! This is a plus.

But then... what to do about a job? I am a software manager. The location is very close to Greensboro and Burlington. Chapel Hill is about 40 mins away, Winston Salem about 45 mins and RTP pushing about a 55 min commute. I would probably have to work in Greensboro or Burlington and I don't see much out there in my field.

Any insight would be most welcomed. Thanks for reading!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2007, 07:38 AM

57 posts, read 198,148 times
In my opinion your best bet for jobs in your career area is in RTP/Durham/Raleigh. I work in RTP, but live in Burlington. My commute is only 45 minutes from my house to my office. You may want to see if Pierce Homes has any developments in Burlington or on the Eastern side of Alamance County. You would position yourself for a closer commute to the Triangle, still have a reasonable commute to Greensboro (there are probably some software-related job there, but not as many) and you could still enjoy the low taxes.To have really low taxes, try to stay out of any city limits.

I'm actually selling my home to move closer to the Raleigh area for family reasons, but I haven't minded the commute that much. I've been driving it for 2.5 years. The low taxes have been nice too!

I don't know much about Whitsett. I get the impression it is more of a bedroom community to Greensboro and Burlington. I know there are lots of new developments going up in that area, but I think you have to drive into Burlington or Greensboro for shopping, etc.

Old 09-19-2007, 12:37 PM

15 posts, read 58,985 times
Default Whitsett - Reserve at the Rock

Would appreciate if anyone had information on the Reserve at the Rock in Whitsett. Visited the area a few week ago , but have been unable to
locate information on this development or the builder- Pierce Builders.
I am primarily interested in the townhomes - no more yard work for me.
Thanks

Old 09-21-2007, 09:15 AM

525 posts, read 2,123,397 times
Whitsett is part of a rapidly growing area near the Stoney Creek development- huge homes with golf course. The whole area is booming, and you are 10 mins from Greensboro and 5 mins to the new shopping center (target, best buy, etc) in Burlington, tho you are in Guilford County. Whitsett has a bunch of folks who live there but work in either Greensboro or Raleigh (just sold a house to someone who commutes to Durham from there) so it is kind of a bedroom community. That being said, there are plenty of great homes there. What info would you like to know? I can call Carol and dig up a package of info for you. Just email me.

remember, always have a buyer's agent (those community and builder reps work for the seller, NOT YOU- they are NOT looking out for your best interest) and always get a home inspection, even on a brand new home.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:44 PM

Default Whitsett-Reserve at the Rock

Thanks for the info. on Whitsett. Primarily interested in townhomes &
liked the Reserve at the Rock. I know the market is slow, but these
TH have been on the market for a while ....just wondering if they are
overpriced or builder problems ( poor construction ).
Have time to look around because I need to sell my condo in Sunset Beach
first.
Thanks

Old 09-22-2007, 11:48 AM

92 posts, read 297,575 times
I hope this helps you out. Pierce Homes Greensboro NC , Burlington NC , Winston-Salem NC new home builders (broken link) it wasnt easy to find

Old 10-16-2007, 03:29 PM

Thanks for the link, however this is th Pierce Home link with information
put out by them.
Was trying to learn a rating on this builder.

Old 10-16-2007, 05:49 PM

Pierce homes builds a nice home. It will depend on the project manager for that location. Seriously, no matter what builder you buy, get a home inspection... EVEN IF the home is brand new. I can't stress that enough.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:03 AM

Why do you need an inspection on a new townhome when all exterior maintenance,
including the roof is covered in the HOA, and for the interior there is a walk through
inspection at closing, one at 60 days and 12 months. A few years ago we had a custom home built... never had a final inspection....never had problems.
My last purchase I paid for an inspection & after moving in discovered outlets not
working & a few other minor issues.... so it was a waste of money.... could have done
a better job myself.

Old 10-17-2007, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afterhours View Post
Why do you need an inspection on a new townhome when all exterior maintenance,
including the roof is covered in the HOA, and for the interior there is a walk through
inspection at closing, one at 60 days and 12 months. A few years ago we had a custom home built... never had a final inspection....never had problems.
My last purchase I paid for an inspection & after moving in discovered outlets not
working & a few other minor issues.... so it was a waste of money.... could have done
a better job myself.
Because even code enforcement officials can overlook stuff. I have seen even the most basic things not done properly and were caught because of a home inspector. Things like outlets not working (where the fridge would be plugged in), gas logs not installed properly (dangerous!), and even structural issues.

It sounds like you got an inspector that wasn't worth his salt- did you check his references? Was he a member of ASHI (American Society of Home Inspectors)? In NC you only have to pass the test to call yourself a home inspector- you do not have to have any experience (much like the real estate licensing used to be). I know a member of ASHI who is working to change this- always make sure they are a quality inspector.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point