Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2009, 01:36 PM

118 posts, read 371,909 times

Advertisements

Still don't know if we will move to Mocksville or Kernersville. Will by land to build a house, so I'm looking for atlest between 8 - 12 acres. Please can someone in here give me some information's on both towns . Also the land should not be in a subdivison, I have dogs and I don't want my neighbores to complain.
One more question;I was wondering if there are more Germans out there, I am originally frm Germany.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 06:06 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,137,379 times
Hi Daggi,

Here are my random thoughts and opinions about the two, for what it's worth. First let me say they are both great places to live, and I don't think you'd go wrong either way. But there are some differences:

Kernersville, being between two large cities that are growing towards each other, will generally have higher land prices than Mocksville, which is still very rural. This is bad when you're buying, of course, but it's good when you're selling.

Kernersville has the advantage of being central to the Triad, and thus a relatively quick trip to anywhere else you may want to go (like shopping, restaurants, events, etc.). Mocksville has the advantage of being on the edge of the Triad, so it's a little slower paced and it has more of a "hometown" feel.

While I don't have any hard data to back me up on this, my perception is that Mocksville is more politically conservative and less progressive than Kernersville. Whether that's a good or bad thing depends on your own personal views.

Hope this helps.

Old 06-30-2009, 06:57 AM

Thank you for you input,end of August I'm driving to both cities and see also will check out other areas.Maybe a rural area will be better for me becuase of my dogs. Mocksville I believe is still close to bigger cities so my family could go and shop. My daughter of cource needs to find a job, she don't mind driving 30 miles

Old 06-30-2009, 09:56 AM

72 posts, read 184,297 times
We just took a vacation to NC and drove through Mocksville. We are also wanting to move there. We really did love the look and feel of the town. After talking to a few more people we realized we did not even see the best parts and really liked what we saw. We were in and around the "downtown" area and LOVED how quaint it felt and got a real sense of community. We too are looking to purchase land or house with land for privacy and animal reasons. It felt like we were finding some of the rural areas, but it was really only 15 minutes or so to get back to the Wal-Mart or Food Lion and I-40. Drive down Country Lane. It is beautiful. I would love to score some property off of that road. Enjoy your trip!! The magnolia trees are the biggest and most beautiful we have ever seen!!

Old 06-30-2009, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasparker View Post
We just took a vacation to NC and drove through Mocksville. We are also wanting to move there. We really did love the look and feel of the town. After talking to a few more people we realized we did not even see the best parts and really liked what we saw. We were in and around the "downtown" area and LOVED how quaint it felt and got a real sense of community. We too are looking to purchase land or house with land for privacy and animal reasons. It felt like we were finding some of the rural areas, but it was really only 15 minutes or so to get back to the Wal-Mart or Food Lion and I-40. Drive down Country Lane. It is beautiful. I would love to score some property off of that road. Enjoy your trip!! The magnolia trees are the biggest and most beautiful we have ever seen!!
Hi, I assume you from TX....
driving 15 minutes to WalMart and food Lion is not bad at all, did you saw an Target,if not winstom salem most lilely has a Target Store?
I do have an Realator he is looking for land for me, I told him how much I would like to spend. I also told him I need someone to build my house, he knows people .
Have a wonderful day and thanks for contacting me

Old 06-30-2009, 04:03 PM

2,657 posts, read 8,016,070 times
Like a lot of small, rural-ish communities, Davie has drug problems. You don't hear much about them unless you live there because it's not a "known" area with a news source. And it is a conservative area. When a county board member was recently replaced, the news hounds made sure to let everyone know that he is a Republican. That same town board recently passed a resolution supporting the "one man-one woman" marriage act. My thought was "oookay ..... I voted for a council to oversee issues like economic development and see to the advancement of necessary things like water and sewers. If they're piddling with issues like that, I'll remember when I next go to vote." Personal opinion: I want these people to actually work for the benefit of the county. Spending their time yarning about gay marriage isn't going to replace jobs recently lost in this area

Old 06-30-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwing View Post
Like a lot of small, rural-ish communities, Davie has drug problems. You don't hear much about them unless you live there because it's not a "known" area with a news source. And it is a conservative area. When a county board member was recently replaced, the news hounds made sure to let everyone know that he is a Republican. That same town board recently passed a resolution supporting the "one man-one woman" marriage act. My thought was "oookay ..... I voted for a council to oversee issues like economic development and see to the advancement of necessary things like water and sewers. If they're piddling with issues like that, I'll remember when I next go to vote." Personal opinion: I want these people to actually work for the benefit of the county. Spending their time yarning about gay marriage isn't going to replace jobs recently lost in this area
I love all people straight's and gay's. America shouldfocus how to get out the Recession's not gay marriage. I'm completly argee with you. I'm not a Republican or Democrat, I voted forthe best man. I will make sure when I come to NC to ask a lot of questions.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:20 AM

3 posts, read 9,003 times
Default Info. on Evan. Bapt. churches etc. in Mocksville

Hi:
I am moving to Mocksville mid Oct. Widow no kids, just dogs. Helpful info.
Thanks,
Non-denom. or Baptist churches over 400 people.

Thanks,

I already have bought a home. Found a great Real Esate agent who has been very helpful.

Sarah

Old 09-29-2009, 12:48 PM

2 posts, read 4,486 times
I haven't been to Mocksville so I can't compare, but I have lived in Kernersville for 3 years now (2 years in an apt and 1 year in a new home). I like Kernersville a lot, other than it's a little dull. But it's 20 minutes from Winston-Salem, Greensboro, and High Point so I can always drive out to find something to do. Also as has been said, with the encroaching cities the house prices are doing well even in the bad market.

I give "k-vegas" 4/5 stars.

Old 10-02-2009, 01:09 PM

123 posts, read 354,416 times
Default mocksville

I think Mocksville is a good choice because it is still rural and kind of homey. I think your chances of getting land at a reasonable price would be better out there than Kernersville, I just don't know where you would go in Kernersville, not much room anymore...LOL

Kernersville is a nice town also, but is getting the big squeeze from w/s, hp, and gsbo. Alot of people moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point