U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 PM

4 posts, read 9,206 times

Advertisements

Hi there,

I'm a late-20s single professional male who may soon have the opportunity to relocate to Winston-Salem. I attended school in L.A., and have worked now for two years in NYC, but am originally from Oregon and am ready for downsizing (in city-size) and change of pace, at least for a couple years. New York has drained me, I miss driving, grass, space, and privacy, and the relative income boost will be nice right now too. Plus, I've always been enamored by NC, and have visited Raleigh/Greensboro/Charlotte often, but never W-S.

My main concern is: does a single young professional have ANY business in W-S? Again, I don't need a lot to do, but am worried about the social scene. How easy is it to meet other mid- to late-20s somethings and other singles? Does anyone have any personal experience?

I've been able to find a lot of information on Research Triangle, Greensboro and Charlotte, but practically nothing on Winston-Salem. Hoping someone has lived it and can share.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2011, 01:48 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,103,476 times
I grew up in the NYC suburbs (18 years in Westchester Co.), went to college in San Diego (lived there for 12 years), and also lived in Portland OR (5.5 years)...so I'm fairly familiar with the areas you've lived. I'm married, 46 with one child, so that's certainly a lot different. But we love NC. My first boss was concerned that I'd get bored with the slower pace, but I've adjusted fairly well I think.

Our first choice was the Triangle, but the Triad was our second choice. We settled here because that's where the job is, after about two years of a national search. The Triad isn't that much smaller than the Triangle; it's definitely more "progressive" than the Triad IMO.

As far as the social scene for you, my gut would say Greensboro would be a better fit than Winston-Salem, but I've only lived her for 3 months, so it's just from my very limited experience.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:29 PM

1 posts, read 3,345 times
I was browsing this website for a new hairstyist and I saw your post. I am also a young single male in the area. The night life is very laid back but fun in the area. I think that you should be fine in W/S. If we decide that we need a big city night we just decide to go out to RDU or charlotte for the night.

Old 10-17-2011, 02:35 PM

1,969 posts, read 3,072,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I grew up in the NYC suburbs (18 years in Westchester Co.), went to college in San Diego (lived there for 12 years), and also lived in Portland OR (5.5 years)...so I'm fairly familiar with the areas you've lived. I'm married, 46 with one child, so that's certainly a lot different. But we love NC. My first boss was concerned that I'd get bored with the slower pace, but I've adjusted fairly well I think.

Our first choice was the Triangle, but the Triad was our second choice. We settled here because that's where the job is, after about two years of a national search. The Triad isn't that much smaller than the Triangle; it's definitely more "progressive" than the Triad IMO.

As far as the social scene for you, my gut would say Greensboro would be a better fit than Winston-Salem, but I've only lived her for 3 months, so it's just from my very limited experience.
They let you out of the Lounge??

Old 10-17-2011, 06:11 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,103,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topchief1 View Post
They let you out of the Lounge??

Old 10-17-2011, 07:28 PM

28,487 posts, read 62,101,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
W-S offers the best access for weekend and vacation recreational opportunities up on the the Blue Ridge parkway... while still being in actual City with all that infrastructure and amenities.

Old 10-18-2011, 05:51 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
-Two large hospitals and a major medical school/research facility with lots of doctors and nurses
-Two large universities, a women-only college, and a large technical school with lots of students
-A large banking presence with lots of young interns and management trainees
-Access to even more of the above in nearby Greensboro and High Point

I'd say your odds are pretty good here.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:35 AM

4 posts, read 9,206 times
Thanks everyone, this is all very helpful! Definitely restoring some of my faith!

Old 10-18-2011, 09:38 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,654,997 times
Check out www.smittysnotes.com. You might be pleasantly surprised.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point