U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2011, 02:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,056 times

Advertisements

I am a divorced mom of 4 looking to move to North Carolina in January. I am looking for a nice area to raise my children. I work from home so I can live anywhere. I am looking for a good school system. Looking to pay no more than $900 per month in rent. I would love to live outside of the city, but not to far away. I was looking at Winston-Salem or Greensboro. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2011, 06:55 AM

28,496 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Michigan View Post
I am looking for a good school system.
Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks
North Carolina State High Schools - NC School Rankings

Odds are that everything else you're looking for...
(well, except for cheap rent) will be found near the best performing high schools.

hth

Old 11-06-2011, 07:55 AM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,746,889 times
Try New Bern, near the coast.

Old 11-06-2011, 12:15 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,420,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. Michigan View Post
I am a divorced mom of 4 looking to move to North Carolina in January. I am looking for a nice area to raise my children. I work from home so I can live anywhere. I am looking for a good school system. Looking to pay no more than $900 per month in rent. I would love to live outside of the city, but not to far away. I was looking at Winston-Salem or Greensboro. Any advice would be appreciated!! Thanks
How is it that you have decided on NC, but don't know what specific part of NC? It's a very diverse state? What is it that specifically has put "NC" on your radar but no one particular area? Usually people pick a city/area based on what they like about it, not an entire state. People could answer your question better if you could define what it is about NC that you are looking for.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:25 AM

7,088 posts, read 13,043,269 times
I suspect the best schools in the state are in Orange County, in or around the towns of Hillsborough, Chapel Hill, Mebane- although Mebane and Hillsborough share the same schools for the most part. Some of Mebane, the southern part, is in Alamance County and has different schools.

Old 11-08-2011, 12:22 PM

42 posts, read 61,903 times
Greensboro is a great place to raise your kids and I think you may be able to find a rental to suit your needs. The communties that skirt greensboro are very family friendly.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:16 PM

84 posts, read 125,379 times
The Triangle is a better choice (Apex, Cary, N. Raleigh, W. Raleigh, Chapel Hill). Trust me, I know the Triangle and the Triad.

Old 12-14-2011, 07:03 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,086,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankInEurope View Post
The Triangle is a better choice (Apex, Cary, N. Raleigh, W. Raleigh, Chapel Hill). Trust me, I know the Triangle and the Triad.
A better choice for what? More traffic congestion? Trust me, I know the Triangle and the Triad too. I do like the Triangle area, but the Triad has just as much to offer.

Old 12-15-2011, 12:23 PM

84 posts, read 125,379 times
No, it does not. You are misleading people by saying that.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:46 PM

870 posts, read 1,967,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YankInEurope View Post
No, it does not. You are misleading people by saying that.
You've posted in numerous threads and have implied time and time again that Raleigh is answer to where everyone should live... The OP requirements are very broad and there is nothing to indicate she should NOT consider the triad. If anything as single mom of four her money may stretch a little further esp. in terms of housing in the triad compared to the triangle.

I lived in Winston Salem for 5 years and no I personally did not like it but I can recognize it can be a great option for many people. Instead of going around saying "trust me" and acting as if no one else here could possibly know what they are talking about provide information that can actually facilitate a discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point