U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 12:00 AM

479 posts, read 733,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
To me there is little difference between the two. I have been up here 6 years and I have yet to find this vibrant nightlife and fast-paceness that some of you are describing....
Greensboring was on the interational Rave circuit for a couple of decades. Back in the 1990's people would fly in from London, Miami and NYC, just to attend.

For the 00's elements still existed with DJ's coming in from major cities to play various clubs. Here's a sampling as recent as 2008 from Greene Street.

The glow sticks are fun to watch. Fast paced? and vibrant? well, more like an oasis in the middle of a cow pasture. Does W-S have anything like this?

Episode 2 - Filo and Peri in Greensboro 2008 - YouTube

What about a Dueling Piano bar?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N6cIuhYExdQ

Last edited by tegota; 12-05-2011 at 01:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 01:23 PM

1,037 posts, read 1,749,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
Greensboring was on the interational Rave circuit for a couple of decades. Back in the 1990's people would fly in from London, Miami and NYC, just to attend.

For the 00's elements still existed with DJ's coming in from major cities to play various clubs. Here's a sampling as recent as 2008 from Greene Street.

The glow sticks are fun to watch. Fast paced? and vibrant? well, more like an oasis in the middle of a cow pasture. Does W-S have anything like this?

Episode 2 - Filo and Peri in Greensboro 2008 - YouTube

What about a Dueling Piano bar?

Coyote's Dueling Pianos - Greensboro, NC - YouTube

I think you misunderstood me, i an not defending either city. As someone who moved from Charlotte i have no particular bias. To me NEITHER city offers significantly more than the other.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:21 PM

231 posts, read 612,354 times
Do we really need another one of these threads popping up every few months?
Cities are old-school thinking. Regions matter now, and Gboro & W-S are essentially similar cities in a single region. It takes less time to drive from central Greensboro to central W-S than it does to drive from Central Raleigh to the Raleigh suburbs.
There are so few real differences between these two cities, and most you find will be based fully upon anecdotal evidence. For me, Greensboro is much less conservative as a whole than Winston and I don't feel like I'm being stalked by meth addicts or thugs everywhere I go. Plus, Winston has virtually no decent restaurants, especially of the authentic ethnic variety, whereas Gboro is full of them. But again, that's just me. It's 100% possible for another person to have the exact opposite impression.
Being so close together, it really doesn't matter which you prefer, because it's a quick drive between them to do anything (I do wish we'd have better transit connectivity between the two). This intra-regional bickering at a micro scale is the same macro-scale behavior among our "leaders" that ends in this great region losing out to inferior areas like Columbia, Greenville-Spartanburg, Mississippi, Alabama, etc.

Old 12-05-2011, 06:26 PM

2,655 posts, read 6,108,806 times
olrac, maybe I misread your meaning, but are you saying you are stalked by meth addicts and thugs in Winston-Salem? If so, that's ridiculous, unless you are intentionally seeking them out. Sure there are bad areas in Winston, but they are off the beaten path for most people. I rarely ever see any of that and I spend quite a bit of time downtown. Also, saying "Winston-Salem has virtually no decent restaurants" is equally ridiculous. Perhaps you need to take your own advice and do the short drive over here to learn more about what you're missing.

But I do agree with your basic premise--the two cities complement each other well, and it's nice to be close enough to take easy advantage of what both have to offer.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:23 PM

302 posts, read 539,240 times
tegota....I'm not here to go tit for tat in defense of either Winston-Salem or Greensboro, since I live in neither. We all have our preferences of things to do and places to go, but since you have such a long list of things that you 'can think of', let's add: the Winston Cup Museum, Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts, Bethabara Park, Magnolia Baroque festival, Summer of Trade, the National Black Theatre Festival, Fiesta Hispanic Festival, Rock the Block, the shops at Reynolda Village, the Yadkin River, Salem Lake, Bethabara Greenway, Piedmont Bible College, Hope du Jour, Salute, Celtic Festival, the Indian Festival, and the Steeplechase. These are some that I can sit here and 'think of' right now. Thanks

Old 12-06-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Perhaps you need to take your own advice and do the short drive over here to learn more about what you're missing.
Actually, I live in Winston, and have for several years. And no, in my experience such things are not "off the beaten path." Walking along Peters Creek or University (major thoroughfares), or downtown along Trade or 6th, or on the way to the ballpark, or at the mall, such "colorful" folks are impossible to avoid. These are hardly out-of-the-way areas. But, as was the premise of my previous post, it's possible other people don't have such experiences, and maybe they even think the same way about Greensboro. My friends and I have discussed such things frequently, with all of us having differing impressions of different cities. I just know that I lived in and around downtown Greensboro for most of my life and rarely had such experiences with people.

But I certainly stand by the restaurant claim! Winston has a couple of decent Mexican restaurants, one OK Chinese place and one good Indian place, but no good NY deli, Vietnamese, Thai, Italian or French. Also, it lacks a decent international market, a la Super G.
I'm certain it will get more in time, though. At least I'm hoping!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Actually, I live in Winston, and have for several years. And no, in my experience such things are not "off the beaten path." Walking along Peters Creek or University (major thoroughfares), or downtown along Trade or 6th, or on the way to the ballpark, or at the mall, such "colorful" folks are impossible to avoid. These are hardly out-of-the-way areas. But, as was the premise of my previous post, it's possible other people don't have such experiences, and maybe they even think the same way about Greensboro. My friends and I have discussed such things frequently, with all of us having differing impressions of different cities. I just know that I lived in and around downtown Greensboro for most of my life and rarely had such experiences with people.

But I certainly stand by the restaurant claim! Winston has a couple of decent Mexican restaurants, one OK Chinese place and one good Indian place, but no good NY deli, Vietnamese, Thai, Italian or French. Also, it lacks a decent international market, a la Super G.
I'm certain it will get more in time, though. At least I'm hoping!
Okay, thanks for your reply. I don't ever walk along Peters Creek or University (nor do most people I know), so to me that's off the beaten path. And yes, you may see homeless/down and out people in the Trade/6th St. area, but I really don't think it's any worse than any other similar sized city, including Greensboro.

I will concede that there could be more ethnic choices, but even so Winston has a dynamic restaurant scene. Quite a few new restaurants have opened downtown just in the last few months. For Mexican, we have Senor Bravo, Las Estrellas, La Botana, and a number of small taquerias, all of which offer very authentic Mexican dishes. I find that Chang Thai in Clemmons, Cha Da Thai, and Thai Sawatdee are very good, among several other good Asian/Chinese choices (only one good Chinese place? Come on...). There are also several very good Italian choices, including Paul's, Francesco's, Dioli's, and Bambino in Clemmons. We have Turmeric and Nawab for Indian food, the Celtic Cafe for Irish food, Athena for Greek, and fine dining places like Christopher's, Noble's Grill, and Bernardin's that would hold their own against most big-city restaurants.

I suppose we could always use more choices, but there are definitely plenty of excellent restaurants here.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:01 PM

off-subject
Sawatdee is good. I'll grant you that, but really all of those places are Laotian variations of Thai, as far as I can tell, and don't quite stand up to Singha, Bangkok or Taste of Thai. Winston may have some decent Americanized Chinese food, such as at Oriental Cafe and Szechuan Palace, but Sampan is the only decent Chinese restaurant in the city.
Being Italian, I think our preferences on that front might differ. I've tried all of those and found them all too American.
Turmeric is great. Nawab is garbage.
And you failed to mention Milner's and Meridian, which are far better than any of the other fine dining spots you named.
/off-subject

Old 12-06-2011, 07:58 PM

^ Well, everyone has their own opinions; that's what makes life interesting I suppose.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:25 PM

676 posts, read 2,807,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
off-subject
Sawatdee is good. I'll grant you that, but really all of those places are Laotian variations of Thai, as far as I can tell, and don't quite stand up to Singha, Bangkok or Taste of Thai. Winston may have some decent Americanized Chinese food, such as at Oriental Cafe and Szechuan Palace, but Sampan is the only decent Chinese restaurant in the city.
Being Italian, I think our preferences on that front might differ. I've tried all of those and found them all too American.
Turmeric is great. Nawab is garbage.
And you failed to mention Milner's and Meridian, which are far better than any of the other fine dining spots you named.
/off-subject
What about Sweet Potatoes??? In my opinion, they are the best restaurant. The main reason being they make regional food to their region! I have also not found decent Italian, Sampan is the only decent Chinese, La Botana for most authentic Mexican (the others are terrible versions of Mexican), Sawatdee and Chang Thai, are decent for Thai. Still looking for above average sushi. I am happy Mooney's Mediterranean cafe is here and love their baba ganoush. I think if you grew up in the Triad you are use to eating more American versions of ethnic food. I am impressed with the growth of downtown Winston-Salem in the last couple of years, especially considering the economy. I am always driving down Peter's Creek, so I definitely see the shady element and wish Sampan was in a better location! I am so glad they finally tore down the crack houses across the street from the ball park. I would never say move to W-S for the culinary experience, but it has been improving and I feel like I am seeing it happen before my eyes. I am more of a W-S person than Greensboro, but I can see why others may not agree. It really is subjective. If I had my way, I probably wouldn't even be in the piedmont! I can't stand the summer weather. We just go to Greensboro when W-S is feeling stale. If only the ocean was closer....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point