U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2011, 03:16 PM
 
479 posts, read 730,710 times
Reputation: 444

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
tegota....I'm not here to go tit for tat in defense of either Winston-Salem or Greensboro, since I live in neither. We all have our preferences of things to do and places to go, but since you have such a long list of things that you 'can think of', let's add: the Winston Cup Museum, Museum of Early Southern Decorative Arts, Bethabara Park, Magnolia Baroque festival, Summer of Trade, the National Black Theatre Festival, Fiesta Hispanic Festival, Rock the Block, the shops at Reynolda Village, the Yadkin River, Salem Lake, Bethabara Greenway, Piedmont Bible College, Hope du Jour, Salute, Celtic Festival, the Indian Festival, and the Steeplechase. These are some that I can sit here and 'think of' right now. Thanks
Those are some good additions to the "lists."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2011, 09:25 PM
 
2 posts, read 12,257 times
Reputation: 23
If you don't mind a short drive (15 minutes), why not look at Kernersville. Kernersville is located in the center of the Winston Salem - Greensboro - High Point triangle. You could be in either city within just a few minutes. Kernersville is a growing bedroom community for the Winston Salem - Greensboro area. As far as night life in K-viile, there isn't much. They do however have a country music bar called The Bucked Up Saloon which has hosted some well known country acts over the past few months.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2011, 12:23 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
Winston has more museums than Greensboro?

Yes W-S has SECCA, Reynolda House and Old Salem. Greensboro has the Weatherspoon Museum of Modern Art, Blandwood Mansion and Gardens, Greensboro Historical Museum, Guilford Batteground National Military Park.

Yes W-S has the Wake Forest Museum of Anthropology and SciWorks. Greensboro has the International Civil Rights Center and Museum, and the Natural Science Center of Greensboro, and the Greensboro Childrens Museum.

Winston has Ziggy's, The Garage, and Stevens Center. Greensboro has The Underground, Greene Street, Somewhere Else Tavern, The Blind Tiger, The Clubhouse, The Brass Taps, Carolina Theatre.

Greensboro has 416 Resturants, Winston-Salem 268. What Winston-Salem lacks is a broad range of ethnic and international flavors. Sure, there is an abundance of Mexican, sushi and Chinese takeout. But if you want Middle Eastern, El Salvadoran, Cuban or Vietnamese, you have about one choice in town. Interested in Korean, Jamaican, Brazilian or African? You'll need to get in the car and drive to Greensboro or the Triangle.

Want to go Mountain Biking? There's Hobby Park in W-S. Tanglewood if you drive to Clemmons. Horizon Park if you drive to Kernersville.

Greensboro? You've got Bald Eagle Trail, Country Park, Hagen Stone, Owl's Roost, Reedy Fork, and Wild Turkey.

Yes, Greensboro has Wet and Wild Emerald Point Water Park. A state of the art, Aquatics Center also just recently opened next to the Coliseum. Speaking of? I wonder where the Red Hot Chilli Peppers are playing in January? Could it be Winston-Salem? uh, no. That's right, Greensboring!

Then Greensboro has an International Airport, and a professional Soccer Team, that actually won it's division.

Triad Farmers Market? oh, no that's in Guilford County right next to? Greensboro. Deep Roots, uh Greensboro. EarthFare? Greensboro. Fresh Market and Whole Foods, Winston-Salem and Greensboro; along with Harris Teeter, Lowes, Food Lion, etc. Let's not forget the International Food Markets in Greensboro. Do they have any in Winston-Salem?

Last time I checked Winston-Salem didn't have anything comparable to Friendly Center in Greensboro. Or even New Garden Crossing... Both cities have fine Malls, and Thruway in Winston-Salem is nice; it's just a heck of a lot smaller with no major Anchor retailers.

Want to play pool? Winston-Salem has three places that I know of that are nice. Greensboro has nine.

Want to go to the movies? Winston-Salem has four theatres that I can think of. Greensboro has eight.

Golf? Winston-Salem has two public courses I can think of. Greensboro has five. Plus two driving ranges. I think they're tied for private clubs.

Roof top bars? Greensboro has four. Winston-Salem has one.

Places to go dancing? I can think of ten in Greensboro I'd be willing to go to. Winston-Salem? There's only one.

Microbrewery/Pub/Ale Houses? Greensboro has Natty Greene's, and Winston-Salem has Foothills. There's Liberty Steakhouse Brewery in High Point. Red Oak Brewery was founded in Greensboro. Big Dan's Brew Shed is also in Greensboro.

McCoul's, Cooper's Ale House, J.P. Looney's, Ham's, Olde Towne Draught House, College Hill Sundries, GW Walkers, Chumley's, the Flat Iron provide an interesting variety of bars. Indeed there are more. Big Shotz' in Clemmons is "ok." I'd love to hear some suggestions for Winston-Salem?

Crime rate? All one has to do is look at the Crime Index posted on City Data for Greensboro and Winston Salem. Greensboro's crime index has always been less, inclusive of 2010.

Both cities have minor league baseball teams. Sadly, minor league hockey in the Triad is no more. Greensboro however does have an ice rink downtown, and a youth hockey league that is active.

Want to go boating or fishing? Belews and Randleman Lake are close to Greensboro. The NC Zoo is also very close.

Universities? Wake Forest, NCSA, and W-S State. Salem College, Forsyth Tech. I can't think of any more for W-S?

Greensboro has UNC-G, NC A&T, Guilford College, Greensboro College, Bennett College, Guilford Tech, Strayer University and ECPI.

So indeed there are some things to do in Winston-Salem. Fortunately, there are three weekly Triad publications that list "things to do" for both W-S and Greensboro. Let's see there's Yes! Weekly, Go Triad!, and the Rhinocerous Times. All three of those publications are based in Greensboro. I wonder if that's why there's always more for Greensboro listed as being available to do?

Barn Dinner Theatre? Does Winston-Salem have anything like that? What about the Eastern Music Festival? Both cities have awesome Greek Festivals.

Winston does have the Dixie Classic Fair, I don't think Greensboro has one on that size or scale...if at all.

Comedy Clubs? Greensboro has The Idiot Box and The Comedy Zone. Winston-Salem, there used to be one, but I think it closed?

I hope someone who says there's more or just as much in Winston-Salem will come along. And point out things I have missed or should try?

You bring up excellent points. There are more things to do in Greensboro. Clearly there are more entertainment, shopping, recreational and restaurant options in Greensboro. When major music stars come to the area, they perform at the Greensboro Coliseum. My preference is Greensboro for those reason. However some think Winston-Salem is a much better city just because it has a bigger downtown skyline. The "appearance" of a city's skyline doesn't make the city better or bigger. If it were not for Wachovia and BB&T, Winston-Salem's skyline would be much smaller. Despite that, there is more activity in downtown Greensboro at night than Winston-Salem. Outside of the downtown area in W-S, there nothing much else other than a few retail strips in the city. When driving through the city on I-40, you see mainly trees and some cows on a mainly 4 lane highway. I may have seen a scarecrow along the way. In Greensboro, you drive on a 10 to 12 lane freeway on I-40 where options are visible everywhere.

Greensboro has Brooks Brothers, PF Changs, Ruth Chris Steakhouse, an Apple Store other upscale establishments. Greensboro hosts a number of nationally televised sporting events such as the ACC Tournament, PGA Wyndham Championship, NCAA tournament basketball, the 2011 U.S. Figure Skating Championships and a number of national swim championships at the aquatic center, one of which will be on national tv.

Don't take it the wrong way, Winston-Salem is a beautiful city but it just lacks the options Greensboro has. Just a few days ago the local news announced that Trader Joe's is looking to open a store in Greensboro.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-15-2011 at 12:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2011, 05:23 PM
 
479 posts, read 730,710 times
Reputation: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
You bring up excellent points. There are more things to do in Greensboro. Clearly there are more entertainment, shopping, recreational and restaurant options in Greensboro. When major music stars come to the area, they perform at the Greensboro Coliseum. My preference is Greensboro for those reason. However some think Winston-Salem is a much better city just because it has a bigger downtown skyline. The "appearance" of a city's skyline doesn't make the city better or bigger. If it were not for Wachovia and BB&T, Winston-Salem's skyline would be much smaller. Despite that, there is more activity in downtown Greensboro at night than Winston-Salem. Outside of the downtown area in W-S, there nothing much else other than a few retail strips in the city. When driving through the city on I-40, you see mainly trees and some cows on a mainly 4 lane highway. I may have seen a scarecrow along the way. In Greensboro, you drive on a 10 to 12 lane freeway on I-40 where options are visible everywhere.

Greensboro has Brooks Brothers, PF Changs, Ruth Chris Steakhouse, an Apple Store other upscale establishments. Greensboro hosts a number of nationally televised sporting events such as the ACC Tournament, PGA Wyndham Championship, NCAA tournament basketball, the 2011 U.S. Figure Skating Championships and a number of national swim championships at the aquatic center, one of which will be on national tv.

Don't take it the wrong way, Winston-Salem is a beautiful city but it just lacks the options Greensboro has. Just a few days ago the local news announced that Trader Joe's is looking to open a store in Greensboro.
Nice additions to the variety list. I also like the "loops" put in as part of the Fed Ex projects. Even though I am still a little miffed they took out one of my favorite places to play golf in the process.

I see it the same way. We're lucky in the Triad to have nice places to visit and drive around to. Each city has it's own unique personality.

There are also social and cultural differences; that one might not readily notice. Unless they'd lived in both cities; or worked in the other for a while. Differing "vibes" as they say.

So would definitely suggest newcomers dedicate time to checking out the area to determine which "vibe" fits their individual way of being best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2011, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Charlotte
302 posts, read 536,849 times
Reputation: 268
Cows, and scarecrows? Now I'm really laughing and shaking my head at the comments. I'd love to know where the cows are in the Winston-Salem city limits, unless they are roaming the grounds of the Methodist Children's Home along Reynolda Road. Perhaps gsoboi, you're referring to some cows out near Union Cross Road, in the county, about as close to Greensboro as Winston-Salem, or one of those hilarious Chick Fil A billboards. The scarecrows are maybe imaginative.

I will give the multi-lane roads to Greensboro, if in your way of thinking that's what makes a city better. That's about all that Greensboro has going for it....more four-lane thoroughfares per square inch, and a beltway about half complete, with enough concrete to radiate heat into the ozone to choke everyone in the whole city, much less those downwind to Burlington, Mebane, and the "Triangle." No matter how many lanes it takes to make options visible for you, you still have to exit the 10 or 12 lanes and drive thru the projects up South Elm-Eugene, then cross over or under all those RR tracks to get to downtown. Winston-Salem has been accessible immediately from the first NC interstate since the 1950's.

And it's not a matter of whether a city has 400-some whatever restaurants, and one has less, that makes it a better city. Or one city has three Fortune500 companies, and one has one. Or one city has more chain shopping, or more golf courses. Here in Charlotte, we have Tiffany's, Hermes, Nordstroms, and Neiman Marcus (none of which are in the Triad), and whether or not I can afford to shop them, I'm still not impressed. Times are hard lately even in Charlotte with the lingering banking turmoil, and these toney retailers are hardly drawing in the glitterati to reverse their need to reduce inventory.
One would wonder how Winston-Salem could lure retailer H & M over Greensboro, since it is stated that Greensboro has a larger college population. Or that Winston-Salem had a Whole Foods in 1999 years before Greensboro. Could it be Winston-Salem has better healthcare facilities, a medical school, and a medical research park? Charlotte is just now getting Whole Foods in 2011, so go crunch.

Perhaps the Triad will forever remain disjointed, and rightfully so, as the metropolitan statistical areas were split several years back. And as long as there is an unhealthy competitiveness, unwillingness for cooperation and collaboration, and ongoing attitudes like those that one city is superior to the other, the Triad will never be a cohesive area.

One city seemingly stealing the glory only dilutes the strengths of the entire region. Case in point would be the sudden 'aerotropolis' Greensboro has touted of late. Winston-Salem had at one time the first airfield in NC, the largest airport in the region, was home to the state's first and foremost airline, Piedmont, and has been home to BEAerospace for years. All of a sudden, Greensboro recruits HondaJet and claims it is the 'aerotropolis.'

Or Winston-Salem has had for decades a world class medical school, starts a medical research park, and ultimately lands such tenants as regenerative scientist Dr. Anthony Atala from Harvard Univ. as an anchor. Before you know it, Greensboro is touting its own "research park" and nanotechnology. There seems to be no slack to cut or credit to give....what you have, I'm gonna have too!

I believe there is more real regional cooperation between High Point and Winston-Salem than there is between Gso & W-S. High Point's news station FoxNews8 has a studio in downtown Winston-Salem. For years, the North Carolina Shakespeare Theatre could justify performances in Winston-Salem as well as High Point because there was the sufficient demand for performance in Winston-Salem. These links between Winston-Salem and the other Guilford county city have never come across as so odd, as rather seemingly natural. No wonder the "Triad Park" straddling both Forsyth and Guilford counties near Kernersville, and mostly funded by Forsyth, has never really gone anywhere. I don't think it ever will until there is equal interest and funding supported by both city/county governments. Winston-Salem has always been a cut above in wealth, giving, endowments to it's foundations, number of foundations, per capita giving to the arts and United Way, and per capita income.

If you're enamoured by the fact that Greensboro is getting the Red Hot Chili Peppers, well, Winston-Salem is hosting Paul Anka with the symphony this month. Last year Tony Bennett performed to christen the new Sawtooth Center for the Arts, followed by soprano Renee Fleming at Reynolds Auditorium in Oct. Two years ago, Patti Austin played the city twice, once with the symphony at Reynolds, once with WSSU. Winston has been resident home to the Mendelssohn String Quartet, saxophonist Jim Houlik, director Peter Bogdonivich, has hosted in concert Tina Turner, Elton John, Itzhak Perlman, Isaac Stern, Chaka Kahn, Leontyne Price, has been host to Leonard Bernstein, actor Gregory Peck, Oprah, choreographer Agnes de Mille (UNCSA), actress Kathy Bates, Helen Hayes (good friend to Dewitt Chatham Hanes), Andres Segovia.

Since we're name dropping, Winston-Salem is home to Mountcastles, Millhouses, de Braganzas, an Austrian count and countess (Christoph von Nostitz and Drewry Hanes Nostitz), acclaimed British actress Rosemary Harris (Spiderman) who is married to writer John Ehle, artist & WFU poet/ professor Maya Angelo, conductor John Mauceri (Hollywood Bowl Symphony), director Gerald Freedman (first director to direct at the Globe Theatre), is second home to Tony winning actress Jennifer Ehle (Pride & Predudice, Sunshine, The King's Speech), and has trained the likes of dancer Mel Tomlinson, actress Mary Louise Parker, and Tom Hulce (Amadeus).

Winston-Salem was the birthplace and brainchild of the North Carolina Dance Theatre, now in Charlotte. Winston-Salem has long been a major organ center, with some of the oldest and finest types of organs in the country. It is home to the first college for women in America, the largest collection of music in America, the oldest brass band in America, and where the first classical music in America was composed (in 1789 by John Frederich Peter). No wonder Winston-Salem is called the city of the arts. All this happens under the radar because it comes natural, and Winston-Salem does not beat it's chest. No wonder it has been referred to decades ago as the "culturopolis of the South" by futurist Alvin Toffler, and again by Selwa "Lucky" Roosevelt, who was at one time chief of protocol for the White House. Look it up.....Town & Country magazine, March 1981, "Bravo Winston-Salem!."

It's not that Winston-Salem goes for roaming acts like Red Hot Chili Peppers. It creates them. All the while drawing in supporters nationwide over the years from artists like Aaron Copland, Marcel Marceau, Eugene Ormandy, Andres Segovia to Blanchette Rockefeller, Joseph Hirshorn, and Seymour Knox. And instate supporters as Mary Duke Biddle Seamans from Durham, or Thomas Kenan of Chapel Hill. Winston-Salem fostered dance at UNCSA before Charlotte knew anything about or could support the likes of NC Dance Theatre. UNCSA had sent it's Nutcracker on tours at Christmas to Charlotte and Raleigh long before both cities had legit dance troups.

So Greensboro hosts the ACC tournament once a year on TV. Winston-Salem is home to one of the ACC's oldest universities that plays an entire season of games that are televised. Greensboro has a golf tournament, NCAA regional basketball (perennially, NOT annually) or figure skating. Winston-Salem also has NCAA tournament games (perennially), has hosted the Davis Cup, the new Winston-Salem Open, and NCHSAA football championships at BB&T Field. When Kathryn Crosby moved the Crosby Celebrity Golf Tournament from Pebble Beach, California back in the 80's, she moved it to Winston-Salem. (OK, so the Wyndham is played in Pleasant Garden, not in Gso, the Crosby in Bermuda Run.....both suburbs).

Equal. Better. Best. Less. Take them how you want them, but call out all the shots when you're comparing apples. Both have shiny spots, and some slightly dull spots. I have lived in both Greensboro, and Winston-Salem, and now Charlotte. In many ways, little old High Point is more international than either Greensboro or Winston-Salem with the people who visit from around the world for the semi-annual furniture market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-15-2011, 09:58 PM
 
Location: Greensboro, NC USA
4,580 posts, read 4,395,902 times
Reputation: 1488
Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
Cows, and scarecrows? Now I'm really laughing and shaking my head at the comments. I'd love to know where the cows are in the Winston-Salem city limits, unless they are roaming the grounds of the Methodist Children's Home along Reynolda Road. Perhaps gsoboi, you're referring to some cows out near Union Cross Road, in the county, about as close to Greensboro as Winston-Salem, or one of those hilarious Chick Fil A billboards. The scarecrows are maybe imaginative.

I will give the multi-lane roads to Greensboro, if in your way of thinking that's what makes a city better. That's about all that Greensboro has going for it....more four-lane thoroughfares per square inch, and a beltway about half complete, with enough concrete to radiate heat into the ozone to choke everyone in the whole city, much less those downwind to Burlington, Mebane, and the "Triangle." No matter how many lanes it takes to make options visible for you, you still have to exit the 10 or 12 lanes and drive thru the projects up South Elm-Eugene, then cross over or under all those RR tracks to get to downtown. Winston-Salem has been accessible immediately from the first NC interstate since the 1950's.

And it's not a matter of whether a city has 400-some whatever restaurants, and one has less, that makes it a better city. Or one city has three Fortune500 companies, and one has one. Or one city has more chain shopping, or more golf courses. Here in Charlotte, we have Tiffany's, Hermes, Nordstroms, and Neiman Marcus (none of which are in the Triad), and whether or not I can afford to shop them, I'm still not impressed. Times are hard lately even in Charlotte with the lingering banking turmoil, and these toney retailers are hardly drawing in the glitterati to reverse their need to reduce inventory.
One would wonder how Winston-Salem could lure retailer H & M over Greensboro, since it is stated that Greensboro has a larger college population. Or that Winston-Salem had a Whole Foods in 1999 years before Greensboro. Could it be Winston-Salem has better healthcare facilities, a medical school, and a medical research park? Charlotte is just now getting Whole Foods in 2011, so go crunch.

Perhaps the Triad will forever remain disjointed, and rightfully so, as the metropolitan statistical areas were split several years back. And as long as there is an unhealthy competitiveness, unwillingness for cooperation and collaboration, and ongoing attitudes like those that one city is superior to the other, the Triad will never be a cohesive area.

One city seemingly stealing the glory only dilutes the strengths of the entire region. Case in point would be the sudden 'aerotropolis' Greensboro has touted of late. Winston-Salem had at one time the first airfield in NC, the largest airport in the region, was home to the state's first and foremost airline, Piedmont, and has been home to BEAerospace for years. All of a sudden, Greensboro recruits HondaJet and claims it is the 'aerotropolis.'

Or Winston-Salem has had for decades a world class medical school, starts a medical research park, and ultimately lands such tenants as regenerative scientist Dr. Anthony Atala from Harvard Univ. as an anchor. Before you know it, Greensboro is touting its own "research park" and nanotechnology. There seems to be no slack to cut or credit to give....what you have, I'm gonna have too!

I believe there is more real regional cooperation between High Point and Winston-Salem than there is between Gso & W-S. High Point's news station FoxNews8 has a studio in downtown Winston-Salem. For years, the North Carolina Shakespeare Theatre could justify performances in Winston-Salem as well as High Point because there was the sufficient demand for performance in Winston-Salem. These links between Winston-Salem and the other Guilford county city have never come across as so odd, as rather seemingly natural. No wonder the "Triad Park" straddling both Forsyth and Guilford counties near Kernersville, and mostly funded by Forsyth, has never really gone anywhere. I don't think it ever will until there is equal interest and funding supported by both city/county governments. Winston-Salem has always been a cut above in wealth, giving, endowments to it's foundations, number of foundations, per capita giving to the arts and United Way, and per capita income.

If you're enamoured by the fact that Greensboro is getting the Red Hot Chili Peppers, well, Winston-Salem is hosting Paul Anka with the symphony this month. Last year Tony Bennett performed to christen the new Sawtooth Center for the Arts, followed by soprano Renee Fleming at Reynolds Auditorium in Oct. Two years ago, Patti Austin played the city twice, once with the symphony at Reynolds, once with WSSU. Winston has been resident home to the Mendelssohn String Quartet, saxophonist Jim Houlik, director Peter Bogdonivich, has hosted in concert Tina Turner, Elton John, Itzhak Perlman, Isaac Stern, Chaka Kahn, Leontyne Price, has been host to Leonard Bernstein, actor Gregory Peck, Oprah, choreographer Agnes de Mille (UNCSA), actress Kathy Bates, Helen Hayes (good friend to Dewitt Chatham Hanes), Andres Segovia.

Since we're name dropping, Winston-Salem is home to Mountcastles, Millhouses, de Braganzas, an Austrian count and countess (Christoph von Nostitz and Drewry Hanes Nostitz), acclaimed British actress Rosemary Harris (Spiderman) who is married to writer John Ehle, artist & WFU poet/ professor Maya Angelo, conductor John Mauceri (Hollywood Bowl Symphony), director Gerald Freedman (first director to direct at the Globe Theatre), is second home to Tony winning actress Jennifer Ehle (Pride & Predudice, Sunshine, The King's Speech), and has trained the likes of dancer Mel Tomlinson, actress Mary Louise Parker, and Tom Hulce (Amadeus).

Winston-Salem was the birthplace and brainchild of the North Carolina Dance Theatre, now in Charlotte. Winston-Salem has long been a major organ center, with some of the oldest and finest types of organs in the country. It is home to the first college for women in America, the largest collection of music in America, the oldest brass band in America, and where the first classical music in America was composed (in 1789 by John Frederich Peter). No wonder Winston-Salem is called the city of the arts. All this happens under the radar because it comes natural, and Winston-Salem does not beat it's chest. No wonder it has been referred to decades ago as the "culturopolis of the South" by futurist Alvin Toffler, and again by Selwa "Lucky" Roosevelt, who was at one time chief of protocol for the White House. Look it up.....Town & Country magazine, March 1981, "Bravo Winston-Salem!."

It's not that Winston-Salem goes for roaming acts like Red Hot Chili Peppers. It creates them. All the while drawing in supporters nationwide over the years from artists like Aaron Copland, Marcel Marceau, Eugene Ormandy, Andres Segovia to Blanchette Rockefeller, Joseph Hirshorn, and Seymour Knox. And instate supporters as Mary Duke Biddle Seamans from Durham, or Thomas Kenan of Chapel Hill. Winston-Salem fostered dance at UNCSA before Charlotte knew anything about or could support the likes of NC Dance Theatre. UNCSA had sent it's Nutcracker on tours at Christmas to Charlotte and Raleigh long before both cities had legit dance troups.

So Greensboro hosts the ACC tournament once a year on TV. Winston-Salem is home to one of the ACC's oldest universities that plays an entire season of games that are televised. Greensboro has a golf tournament, NCAA regional basketball (perennially, NOT annually) or figure skating. Winston-Salem also has NCAA tournament games (perennially), has hosted the Davis Cup, the new Winston-Salem Open, and NCHSAA football championships at BB&T Field. When Kathryn Crosby moved the Crosby Celebrity Golf Tournament from Pebble Beach, California back in the 80's, she moved it to Winston-Salem. (OK, so the Wyndham is played in Pleasant Garden, not in Gso, the Crosby in Bermuda Run.....both suburbs).

Equal. Better. Best. Less. Take them how you want them, but call out all the shots when you're comparing apples. Both have shiny spots, and some slightly dull spots. I have lived in both Greensboro, and Winston-Salem, and now Charlotte. In many ways, little old High Point is more international than either Greensboro or Winston-Salem with the people who visit from around the world for the semi-annual furniture market.
Baptist hospital just got some bad rankings recently. Greensboro also has a research park where a joint nanoschool opened. W-S is copycat too. Greensboro built its downtown ballpark, W-S got envious and had to have one too

I'm not talking about historical figures coming from each city. I'm talking about what the two cities have to offer, and its a fact Greensboro offers more. Yes Winston-Salem is an artsy community and thats great. It shows the city has some culture. The problem I have is people claiming Winston-Salem is a better city because of its skyline. I just don't see any thing about the city that makes it better than Greensboro. BTW the cow was on the forsyth county side

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-15-2011 at 10:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 12:52 AM
 
31 posts, read 39,917 times
Reputation: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
Baptist hospital just got some bad rankings recently. Greensboro also has a research park where a joint nanoschool opened. W-S is copycat too. Greensboro built its downtown ballpark, W-S got envious and had to have one too

I'm not talking about historical figures coming from each city. I'm talking about what the two cities have to offer, and its a fact Greensboro offers more. Yes Winston-Salem is an artsy community and thats great. It shows the city has some culture. The problem I have is people claiming Winston-Salem is a better city because of its skyline. I just don't see any thing about the city that makes it better than Greensboro. BTW the cow was on the forsyth county side
Winston-Salem is much more than a skyline and gsoboi78 knows that. You say Wachovia and BB&T built our skyline. Well I say UNCG, NCA&T, Bennett, Guilford and Greensboro College opened your clubs and bars. Sprawl built your numerous roadside hotels and drive-thrus.


And why have a problem with someone's opinion? I dont get that statement. Your opinion is that Greensboro is King, and thats fine. Im sure many would disagree, but hey, its YOUR opinion. That Trader Joes announcement has you feeling good.


1. W-S proposed a downtown sports facility in the Downtown Plan-2002. Plans called for either a soccer or baseball stadium at Bus40 and 52. This is around the same time of GSO's proposal.


2. New I-40 (bypass 40) is a new construction bypass while I-40 through GSO was a widening project. GSO's 40 runs through developed parts of the county, while Winston's skirts the south. Lack of development is on the eastern half. Drive past 52 and its just as developed as King Greensboro.


3. Like the capital Beltway in DC, W-S banned billboards on I-40 bypass...a wise decision IMO. This may add to your interpretation of a lesser city by seeing so much more green. I would not be surprised if they did the same for the northern beltway. If you wanna compare highways, I'd put our 4 lane Bus. 40 up against your 12 lane I-40. Which do you think is more enjoyable?


As if the size of a highway adds to the vibrancy of a city anyways. If thats the case, then Greensboro, Mebane and Burlington are the metropolises of central NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 03:00 AM
 
31 posts, read 39,917 times
Reputation: 29
Yes W-S has SECCA, Reynolda House and Old Salem. Greensboro has the Weatherspoon Museum of Modern Art, Blandwood Mansion and Gardens, Greensboro Historical Museum, Guilford Batteground National Military Park.
Delta Fine Arts
Diggs Gallery
www.bethabarapark.org
www.graylyn.com


Yes W-S has the Wake Forest Museum of Anthropology and SciWorks. Greensboro has the International Civil Rights Center and Museum, and the Natural Science Center of Greensboro, and the Greensboro Childrens Museum.
Also, a Childern's Museum of W-S
Winston Cup Museum, (as mentioned before)
COMING SOON
http://www.newwinston.org/


Winston has Ziggy's, The Garage, and Stevens Center. Greensboro has The Underground, Greene Street, Somewhere Else Tavern, The Blind Tiger, The Clubhouse, The Brass Taps, Carolina Theatre.
Hanesbrands Theater, Elliotts Review(for now), Krankies, Millineum Center

Greensboro has 416 Resturants, Winston-Salem 268.
hmm. my source says 1108 for GSO and 994 for W-S

Want to go Mountain Biking? There's Hobby Park in W-S. Tanglewood if you drive to Clemmons. Horizon Park if you drive to Kernersville.
Horizon(s) Park is in Rural Hall, not Kernersville. How could you not include Salem Lake and Winston Lake parks

Then Greensboro has an International Airport
Its called Piedmont Triad International Airport on land outside the Greensboro city limits.

Triad Farmers Market? oh, no that's in Guilford County right next to? Greensboro.
Visit the Dixie Classic Fairgrounds every Saturday. In fact, here is a list of Triad Farmer's Markets. Many of you may find this helpful.
3 in W-S
2 in GSO


Let's not forget the International Food Markets in Greensboro. Do they have any in Winston-Salem?
Asia Grocery Store
880 Peters Creek Pkwy, Winston Salem, NC.
Phone: 336-725-5889


International Food Market
635 Peters Creek Parkway, Winston-Salem, NC 27103-3851
(336) 722-7386

Last time I checked Winston-Salem didn't have anything comparable to Friendly Center in Greensboro. Or even New Garden Crossing... Both cities have fine Malls, and Thruway in Winston-Salem is nice; it's just a heck of a lot smaller with no major Anchor retailers.
IMO, Four Seasons is no longer a fine mall. Hanes Mall is the by far the best enclosed mall in the region. If the latest site plan Ive seen is built, Hanes will be the Triad's shopping destination. Another 1 million sf of mixed-use space is proposed connecting to the JCPenny wing.

Want to play pool? Winston-Salem has three places that I know of that are nice. Greensboro has nine.
W-S has 7. Try Google

Want to go to the movies? Winston-Salem has four theatres that I can think of. Greensboro has eight.
W-S has 5.

McCoul's, Cooper's Ale House, J.P. Looney's, Ham's, Olde Towne Draught House, College Hill Sundries, GW Walkers, Chumley's, the Flat Iron provide an interesting variety of bars. Indeed there are more. Big Shotz' in Clemmons is "ok." I'd love to hear some suggestions for Winston-Salem?
Fox & Hound
6th and Vine
NOMA
The District
1st Street
Gatsby's
Mod
Buena Vista Grille


Crime rate? All one has to do is look at the Crime Index posted on City Data for Greensboro and Winston Salem. Greensboro's crime index has always been less, inclusive of 2010.
Greensboro Annual Crimes
Both cities have a crime index of 4



Both cities have minor league baseball teams. Sadly, minor league hockey in the Triad is no more. Greensboro however does have an ice rink downtown, and a youth hockey league that is active.
Iceskating as well at the LJVM Annex

Golf? Winston-Salem has two public courses I can think of. Greensboro has five. Plus two driving ranges. I think they're tied for private clubs.
Reynolds Park Golf Course (city)
Winston Lake (city)

public:
Meadowlands
Heather Hills
Willshire
Olde HomePlace


Want to go boating or fishing? Belews and Randleman Lake are close to Greensboro. The NC Zoo is also very close.
Again, Salem Lake and Winston Lake. Also the Yadkin River for recreation and Dan River in Stokes County for tubing.

Universities? Wake Forest, NCSA, and W-S State. Salem College, Forsyth Tech. I can't think of any more for W-S?

Greensboro has UNC-G, NC A&T, Guilford College, Greensboro College, Bennett College, Guilford Tech, Strayer University and ECPI.
Did you really include Strayer and ECPI? Oh well...High Point University W-S campus and Piedmont Bible College.

So indeed there are some things to do in Winston-Salem. Fortunately, there are three weekly Triad publications that list "things to do" for both W-S and Greensboro. Let's see there's Yes! Weekly, Go Triad!, and the Rhinocerous Times. All three of those publications are based in Greensboro. I wonder if that's why there's always more for Greensboro listed as being available to do?

Barn Dinner Theatre? Does Winston-Salem have anything like that? What about the Eastern Music Festival? Both cities have awesome Greek Festivals.
Dont try to compete. read up on "Festival City, USA"
Winston-Salem Monthly Festival City, USA

Winston does have the Dixie Classic Fair, I don't think Greensboro has one on that size or scale...if at all.
True.

Comedy Clubs? Greensboro has The Idiot Box and The Comedy Zone. Winston-Salem, there used to be one, but I think it closed?
True.

I hope someone who says there's more or just as much in Winston-Salem will come along. And point out things I have missed or should try?

You missed plenty. please have your facts ready before you post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 04:52 AM
 
2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
Reputation: 3408
Great info above. As wsnc62 says, we in Winston-Salem have no need to beat our chests. We're quite comfortable with what we have here, and we can enjoy a high quality of life without the need to put down other places. There are many great things about this place, and some not-so-great, but Winston-Salem clearly holds its own against any city in the state. The historic character, the arts, the beautiful architecture, the medical facilities, parks, restaurants, schools, and many other things make this a special place. Sure some may not like it here, but there's no denying what it has to offer those who do.

But all this G'boro vs. Winston stuff is really silly IMO. It's like arguing which is better--the upstairs or downstairs of your own home. The footprint of the Triad is pretty close to that of Charlotte, and it's a heck of a lot easier to get around so you can take advantage of what all three cities have to offer. Instead of sitting around criticizing, why not get off the couch and take it all in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-16-2011, 05:48 AM
 
Location: Charlotte again!!
1,037 posts, read 1,744,006 times
Reputation: 511
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Great info above. As wsnc62 says, we in Winston-Salem have no need to beat our chests. We're quite comfortable with what we have here, and we can enjoy a high quality of life without the need to put down other places. There are many great things about this place, and some not-so-great, but Winston-Salem clearly holds its own against any city in the state. The historic character, the arts, the beautiful architecture, the medical facilities, parks, restaurants, schools, and many other things make this a special place. Sure some may not like it here, but there's no denying what it has to offer those who do.

But all this G'boro vs. Winston stuff is really silly IMO. It's like arguing which is better--the upstairs or downstairs of your own home. The footprint of the Triad is pretty close to that of Charlotte, and it's a heck of a lot easier to get around so you can take advantage of what all three cities have to offer. Instead of sitting around criticizing, why not get off the couch and take it all in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top