U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-18-2011, 06:45 PM

231 posts, read 610,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
Raleigh is a 3 city metro(in reality).
And the "Triangle" should really be reclassified after the growth Cary's experienced these past 40 years (the Census Bureau has already done so). All of Orange County's not even 200k, so I wouldn't count Chapel Hill on the level of Raleigh and Durham, but Cary's now larger than High Point. Impressive for a town that barely existed when I was born (and I'm a young'un).
Durham is roughly equally the size of Winston, and you can look to that city as an example of what a city this size can do to turn itself around. There are still pits of horror there, but nothing like there were 15 years ago.

Now, if only our local leaders could focus on things that bring jobs to the area, rather than fight about prayer before public meetings and indoctrinated nationalism in school (fights that basically tell potential investors, "Don't come here. We like things just the way they are... in 1950. Just keep laughing at us and calling us hillbillies, because we're doing little to dispel that image."), well, then we might get taken a bit more seriously.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2011, 07:24 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,305,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
And the "Triangle" should really be reclassified after the growth Cary's experienced these past 40 years (the Census Bureau has already done so). All of Orange County's not even 200k, so I wouldn't count Chapel Hill on the level of Raleigh and Durham, but Cary's now larger than High Point. Impressive for a town that barely existed when I was born (and I'm a young'un).
Durham is roughly equally the size of Winston, and you can look to that city as an example of what a city this size can do to turn itself around. There are still pits of horror there, but nothing like there were 15 years ago.

Now, if only our local leaders could focus on things that bring jobs to the area, rather than fight about prayer before public meetings and indoctrinated nationalism in school (fights that basically tell potential investors, "Don't come here. We like things just the way they are... in 1950. Just keep laughing at us and calling us hillbillies, because we're doing little to dispel that image."), well, then we might get taken a bit more seriously.
High Point was supposed to lose it's "Piedmont" designation when it crossed the 95k(?) mark as a technicality stated two metro cities could not be inside one county. Never heard what came of it.

Old 12-19-2011, 05:56 AM

5 posts, read 4,231 times
I have lived in this Triad area all of my 60 years. Spent 9 miserable years in W-S and the rest in G'boro.
Greensboro has a MUCH better road and street system, parks, sidewalks and easier access to shopping, and other services. W-S roads have led to massive traffic congestion you won't find in the Big G.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDean View Post
I have lived in this Triad area all of my 60 years. Spent 9 miserable years in W-S and the rest in G'boro.
Greensboro has a MUCH better road and street system, parks, sidewalks and easier access to shopping, and other services. W-S roads have led to massive traffic congestion you won't find in the Big G.
This is absolutely true, but look at what poor planning over the past 20 years has done to traffic in Greensboro. If they don't plan better for the future, then they'll be no better off than W-S, and on the road to constant gridlock like Charlotte and Raleigh. In the '90s, Greensboro still had the least stressful driving experience of any 150k+ city I'd ever been in. It's still much better than any others its size, but drastically worse than before.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:55 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,085,655 times
I'm LOL'ing at anyone who complains about traffic in W-S. Seriously? I'll concede the Hanes Mall Blvd area is quite often congested (especially this time of year), but it's no worse than Wendover Ave. near I-40 in G'boro. And it's only about 1 mile out of the many roads in town. US 52 often backs up during the (15 minute) rush "hour", but otherwise I'm really baffled where all this congestion is. I suppose it's all relative--having lived in Charlotte I can't see that I would ever complain about traffic here, but if you're from a very small town I suppose even Winston can be frustrating.

Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
I'm LOL'ing at anyone who complains about traffic in W-S. Seriously? I'll concede the Hanes Mall Blvd area is quite often congested (especially this time of year), but it's no worse than Wendover Ave. near I-40 in G'boro. And it's only about 1 mile out of the many roads in town. US 52 often backs up during the (15 minute) rush "hour", but otherwise I'm really baffled where all this congestion is. I suppose it's all relative--having lived in Charlotte I can't see that I would ever complain about traffic here, but if you're from a very small town I suppose even Winston can be frustrating.
Wendover traffic is only a problem during expected rush hours, though - after 5 on weekdays and lunchtime on weekends. Rarely mornings. Rarely weekday lunch. Hanes Mall Blvd. and Stratford rush hour lasts for hours every day. Morning, lunch, evening, and (dear God!!) weekends. US 52 is a nightmare during rush hours, as is Business 40 in the mornings heading from K'ville. And it's certainly not 15 minutes. When I used to take 52 north in the mornings, I was stuck in congestion for 15-30 minutes at least 6 days per month and at least 10 minutes in the afternoons nearly every day.
The interstates in Greensboro are pretty fluid these days (even with construction continuing), but it's the city streets that have been the real advantage there for so many years. Downtown Greensboro to the airport, regardless of whether you take Friendly/Market or Bryan, will take you no more than 16 minutes, regardless of day or time. That's maybe 10 miles. Downtown W-S to, let's say the Lowes Foods on Robinhood, will average roughly 12-15 minutes (I make that trip often), and that's only about 8 miles. I say 12-15 because it's utterly unpredictable, as is nearly any trip in W-S, and that's what most irks me about the traffic here - you can't estimate how long your trip will take. Some mornings, my commute from near the Davidson line to downtown takes 20 minutes. Others, it takes 45. On average, it's 35. Once or twice a month, it takes 50.
Though these two cities don't differ so much in most respects, it's certainly not valid to say there's not a pretty big difference with regard to traffic congestion, especially considering how few people live in this region.
When the new journey-to-work numbers come out soon, I expect we'll see this in hard stats, rather than anecdotal information. I hope our transportation planning folks (W-S and G'boro) will really look at those numbers and get on the ball.

Old 12-19-2011, 10:22 AM

302 posts, read 537,098 times
Arby...I'm LOLing too. I'd invite any one of you to come to Charlotte, any time of the day....and pick a street. Commute into or out of downtown (excuse me, that's Uptown here) on Providence Road, Park Road, Sharon Road, Brookshire....name one. Getting out of town on I77 to Lake Norman after work....forget a planned time. Give me a gun. Traffic in the Triad is silly in comparison. 12-15 minutes for a commute sounds like a dream.

Old 12-19-2011, 11:13 AM

I truly hope we've not reached a point where “We're not as bad as Charlotte” is the highest praise we can muster for our area.

Old 12-19-2011, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twincityobserver View Post
The posters on here have some warped sense of what real traffic is like.
There's a difference between terrible congestion and terrible congestion for a city's size. It's silly to say that one shouldn't complain about Winston or Greensboro traffic just because it's not as bad as LA or Atlanta or some other metro that's many times larger in area, population and density. Greenville, NC is a small city. It has terrible traffic. Is it as bad as Winston? Of course not. Likewise, Winston's traffic is terrible, as well, and if the planners in Greensboro don't get their act together soon, then they'll be right there with W-S. It needn't reach the magnitude of Charlotte to be unacceptable. Charlotte (city) is 3 times larger than Winston.

Old 12-19-2011, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twincityobserver View Post
OK, I'll state it this way. For a city of Winston's size the traffic is not all that terrible, feel better now?
Well, no. For a city so small in a metro so small, there's really no valid explanation for the level of traffic here. If we were a city of 230k in the heart of a sprawling megalopolis, then it would make sense. But small city in small county, surrounded by tiny counties and adjacent to just one other small/mid-sized county? No, it doesn't compute.

And building highways/adding lanes is about the least effective means of controlling traffic (just below adding toll roads/lanes). Planners have known this for decades but still fall back on those options because they require the least effort (though I do support the particular example of having a circumferential highway... just wish W-S would hurry with its).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point