U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:01 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,318,529 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by olrac View Post
Well, no. For a city so small in a metro so small, there's really no valid explanation for the level of traffic here. If we were a city of 230k in the heart of a sprawling megalopolis, then it would make sense. But small city in small county, surrounded by tiny counties and adjacent to just one other small/mid-sized county? No, it doesn't compute.

And building highways/adding lanes is about the least effective means of controlling traffic (just below adding toll roads/lanes). Planners have known this for decades but still fall back on those options because they require the least effort (though I do support the particular example of having a circumferential highway... just wish W-S would hurry with its).
Winston is a city of 230k.
Oh, nevermind I see you were speaking of Greeenville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 06:30 PM

479 posts, read 731,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
^ tegota, I worked at Wachovia during the time the building was designed and built. Believe me, there were plenty of jokes to go around. We were all baffled that during the process apparently no one ever said "Hey, you know, this thing looks like a giant ****", but I guess there were too many "yes men" at the top that no one had the balls to say it (pun intended). One of my co-workers had a classic--he said they should install one of those outside-the-building elevators, shaped like a hand.
Holy crap! I'm sure I wasn't the only person in the building to say those words. When they brought the model up from the Board Room to the floor I worked on. At the moment I was standing in the middle of a small group of SVP's; among other staff. Facial expressions were rather entertaining. No one said a word.

Just shook my head and walked off muttering they're going to spend $120 Million cash on that?

Gotta say the lobby and other elements turned out very nice. But they should have installed automatic window shades on the Piedmont Club side.

Hope life's being good to a fellow Wachovia ex-patriot. Summer of 1992 was definitely entertaining.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
Here! Here! I'll drink to that!
This certainly turned into a major pissing contest.
In all sincerity it is nice to see people be passionate about where they live. We don't get the perk of being a one city metro like Charlotte & Raleigh but that spirited competition between WS & GSO can be channeled in a positive way that benefits all.
Triad offers a great way of life. It's like having three flavors of ice cream in one bucket. Someone might prefer more of one flavor over the other, but they all make it into the bowl.

I don't think of W-S, GSO, or High Point are one better than the other. But I do believe it's disengenous to say they're all the same. Just as surely as Dallas, Ft. Worth are different. It's like Deep Ellum vs. the Stockyards. And I hope and pray this area never gets that large...

What the Triad offers, is just big enough to find something to do. Small enough not to have to sit forever in traffic.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:09 PM

Just thought of something others might find interesting... Forsyth and Guilford Counties were settled differently. Forsyth was initially settled by individuals of Germanic origin along the Wachovia tract.

Guilford, completely different. Scotch-Irish Presbytarians in the Middle. British Quakers to the West and South. Reformed Germans and Lutherans to the East.

Notice the counties developed commercially differently too.

RJR, and the other famous names. Hanes, etc. Were more "concentrated" within a given geographical proxemity.

Guilford County around Greensboro developed differently. A lot of that has to do with Cone Mills, choosing to build communities around factories dispersed throughout the area.

Ethic diversity has most certainly increased over time for both counties.

Last edited by tegota; 12-19-2011 at 08:32 PM..

Old 12-20-2011, 09:50 AM

4,598 posts, read 4,414,501 times
Greensboro shouldn't have to worry about traffic for many years because the new freeways were overbuilt...and thats a good thing. At least Greensboro won't have to worry about expanding its highways with more lanes in another 10 years or so wondering when it will get the next round of DOT funds. There is a short section of I-40 in Greensboro that has 12 lanes (14 if you count exit ramp lanes). Its the widest segment of freeway in North Carolina.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:39 AM

231 posts, read 610,946 times
The portion of I-40 at Wendover had exceeded its design capacity before construction had been completed.

Old 12-20-2011, 06:22 PM

Notice how the geniuses at NCDOT posted signs telling everyone heading eastward/northward to keep using the old interstate through town instead of the new bypass. Makes sense, right?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:14 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,318,529 times
Quote:
Notice how the geniuses at NCDOT posted signs telling everyone heading eastward/northward to keep using the old interstate through town instead of the new bypass. Makes sense, right?
That's because you have dumb-dumbs who are too busy listening to their dumb-dumbs telling them which direction to go.
They did change it briefly and rumor has it someone raised a stink about the extra by-pass traffic so it was changed back..........to the tune of 300k.

Old 12-21-2011, 06:50 AM

2,650 posts, read 6,093,311 times
Quote:
Wendover traffic is only a problem during expected rush hours, though - after 5 on weekdays and lunchtime on weekends. Rarely mornings. Rarely weekday lunch. My experience is very different. Admittedly it's been a while, but when I worked in G'boro this area was very congested during weekday lunchtime.

Hanes Mall Blvd. and Stratford rush hour lasts for hours every day. Morning, lunch, evening, and (dear God!!) weekends. This is quite an exaggeration IMO. Mornings are not a problem in this area, as most retail establishments aren't open yet. Other than lunchtime and 5:00, you can usually move through here quickly enough during the week. And yes, weekends can be crowded with all the shoppers, and it's ridiculous this time of year.

US 52 is a nightmare during rush hours, as is Business 40 in the mornings heading from K'ville. And it's certainly not 15 minutes. When I used to take 52 north in the mornings, I was stuck in congestion for 15-30 minutes at least 6 days per month and at least 10 minutes in the afternoons nearly every day. Yes, 52 is probably the biggest problem area. But at least they're making improvements to bring it up to interstate standards which should help.

The interstates in Greensboro are pretty fluid these days (even with construction continuing), but it's the city streets that have been the real advantage there for so many years. Downtown Greensboro to the airport, regardless of whether you take Friendly/Market or Bryan, will take you no more than 16 minutes, regardless of day or time. That's maybe 10 miles. Downtown W-S to, let's say the Lowes Foods on Robinhood, will average roughly 12-15 minutes (I make that trip often), and that's only about 8 miles. I say 12-15 because it's utterly unpredictable, as is nearly any trip in W-S, and that's what most irks me about the traffic here - you can't estimate how long your trip will take. About the Robinhood/Lowes Food from downtown trip--it's 8 miles, and most all of the trip is on 35 mph residential streets. So the simple math says it should take about 14 minutes. I assume you'd rather be traveling on a highway so you can get there faster? But I much prefer the nice tree-lined streets and beautiful old houses, which is one of the things that makes Winston a great place to live, IMO. Also, I don't see what's so unpredictable about this, unless there's an accident. I frequent these roads and neighborhoods, and accidents are rare. Other than the occasional stoplights, there's not much to slow you down. I'd much rather drive on nice residential streets than have ugly freeways running through town.

Some mornings, my commute from near the Davidson line to downtown takes 20 minutes. Others, it takes 45. On average, it's 35. Once or twice a month, it takes 50. I've never done this commute--but if you're coming up US 52 then yes, as I said earlier it's about the worst area in town. There are frequent accidents which would explain the variability, but accidents happen in any city. I don't see how Winston is any worse in that regard.

Though these two cities don't differ so much in most respects, it's certainly not valid to say there's not a pretty big difference with regard to traffic congestion, especially considering how few people live in this region. Sorry, I just disagree.
When the new journey-to-work numbers come out soon, I expect we'll see this in hard stats, rather than anecdotal information. I hope our transportation planning folks (W-S and G'boro) will really look at those numbers and get on the ball.
Olrac, not to beat a dead horse, but I wanted to comment on this post last week and didn't have time. See my comments above in blue.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
About the Robinhood/Lowes Food from downtown trip--it's 8 miles, and most all of the trip is on 35 mph residential streets. So the simple math says it should take about 14 minutes. I assume you'd rather be traveling on a highway so you can get there faster? But I much prefer the nice tree-lined streets and beautiful old houses, which is one of the things that makes Winston a great place to live, IMO. Also, I don't see what's so unpredictable about this, unless there's an accident. I frequent these roads and neighborhoods, and accidents are rare. Other than the occasional stoplights, there's not much to slow you down. I'd much rather drive on nice residential streets than have ugly freeways running through town.
No, I don't take the highways. City streets all the way. First, Stratford, Buena Vista, Robinhood (or sometimes First, Country Club, Silas Creek, Robinhood). Good luck doing 35 on those crowded streets for more than a few blocks. And un-synched lights mean being stopped at every controlled intersection.

I've never done this commute--but if you're coming up US 52 then yes, as I said earlier it's about the worst area in town. There are frequent accidents which would explain the variability, but accidents happen in any city. I don't see how Winston is any worse in that regard.
No, I don't take 52. It's 150 most of the way. The traffic lights are never timed correctly. If you're stopped at one, then you'll be stopped at all of them (for 1-3 minutes each). I dread the day when they close Clemmonsville to widen and add traffic circles. Guess where all those cars will go...
Fair enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point