Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 07:39 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,506,349 times

Advertisements

I'll give you a royal pain in the butt stretch of road; hwy 68 going into High Point. I don't know what happened but once you pass Piedmont Parkway traffice will slow 10-15 mph below the speed limit. Typically it is caused by old farts clogging both lanes or some jackass on the phone. It seems like you exit I-40, go south on 68 and suddenly you're in freaking Florida.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2011, 09:04 PM

479 posts, read 833,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I'll give you a royal pain in the butt stretch of road; hwy 68 going into High Point. I don't know what happened but once you pass Piedmont Parkway traffice will slow 10-15 mph below the speed limit. Typically it is caused by old farts clogging both lanes or some jackass on the phone. It seems like you exit I-40, go south on 68 and suddenly you're in freaking Florida.
Ah, that's just the cluster of traffic uckus High Point is... Indeed it's as annoying as I-275, but at least High Point residents are a little less armed and obnoxious vs. the "Gunshine" state.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:16 AM

231 posts, read 709,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twincityobserver View Post
Well, here's a suggestion Olrac. How about taking Broad St. down to Reynolda Rd left on Robinhood out to Sherwood Plz Your current preferred routes are pretty bass ackwards, IMHO.

On a side note, on Tuesday at 5:15 p.m. I was crossing over the new bridge u/c on 52 at Smith Reynolds southbound and pulled up to the light on the offramp to Jonestown Road at 5:30 p.m. a distance of almost 8 miles
Because dealing with Broad/Reynolda traffic adds at least a minute or two to the commute. You suggest it as though I haven't been trying every option available for the past 5 years. Just getting out of downtown takes no fewer than 4 minutes if it's between 7:40 and 9:15 or 5 and 5:45. Apparently there's some aversion to properly timing traffic signals. As an example, the DOT should look at Friendly Ave. If one heads westward from the CBD on Friendly at 5 pm, no more than one red light will be encountered all the way to the end at Market St.

Old 12-27-2011, 04:24 PM

It used to amaze me how quickly 5PM traffic out of downtown GSO could flow. Not sure what it's like now. Haven't worked downtown in quite some time.

Old 12-27-2011, 05:07 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,506,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
It used to amaze me how quickly 5PM traffic out of downtown GSO could flow. Not sure what it's like now. Haven't worked downtown in quite some time.
Still moves fairly well if you stay off Elm St.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Olrac, I guess you've moved to the Winston area from a ghost town. Seriously, 4 minutes??? Also, I cannot believe that you've only caught one traffic light from DT GSO to the airport at 5:00.
For three years I commuted from Autumn Park off W. Friendly Ave near the airport; to an employer downtown. Most days it only took me twenty minutes. Even at 5PM, and it was rare to catch more than one traffic light. The interval is such you can learn to anticipate by adjusting one's speed.

Old 12-30-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Still trying to figure out why someone living in NoDav is shopping at Sherwood Plz?
My apologies.
Next time, I'll ask your permission before venturing more than 500 yards from my home.
Please don't report me to the authorities.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:11 PM

97 posts, read 226,254 times
Maybe it is out there somewhere someday...but I have never ever seen any traffic in Greensboro or Winston-Salem. If I had to rate traffic in the Triad on a 1 - 10 scale (10 being the worst)...I would give it a 1...maybe a 2. That is why so many people live in Winston-Salem and work in Greensboro and vice versa...you can drive 30 miles in 30-45 min rush hr...I drove 15mi from Ballantyne (South Charlotte) to Uptown and on a good day it took 1hr. The day we had 11 in of snow a few years back...took 3 hrs to get home.

My neighbor here in Bermuda Run drives 42 mi to downtown Greensboro in rush hour mon-fri and takes 50 min. People from larger cities are use to a 1hr commute...people here thinks that is horrible.

Old 01-03-2012, 07:38 AM

5 posts, read 4,806 times
I have grown up in Greensboro, and spent seven miserable years in Winston-Salem with an ex wife.
Greensboro is larger, but the roads are not nearly as congested. Who ever set up the roads in WS was smacked with a Stupid Stick. Also, GSO has nicer parks, bike ways, walking trails etc. Restaurants are all about the same. GSO has a bigger coleseum and more high profile shows. Having said all this, the commute between the cities is a daily, miserable experience. Find work in GSO if you want to live here.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGDean View Post
Find work in GSO if you want to live here.
That's hardly under the control of job-seekers in most cases. One works where one finds work and lives where one can afford to live. This is why it's in the region's best interest NOT to become comparable to Raleigh or Charlotte in terms of traffic. At the rate we're going, when we reach the current population of the Triangle (adding about 200k residents), our traffic congestion won't be much better than what they have now.

Feeling content in not having the level of congestion of Charlotte is like being happy to have herpes instead of AIDS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point