Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2012, 09:54 AM

13 posts, read 18,307 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
My fiance and I will be staying in CT for the foreseeable future r/t job obligations, but we'd like to buy some property in the next year in NC, and eventually build on it, be able to vacation there, and then retire in NC.
I was initially looking at the coastal area but it's seeming quite out of budget at the moment. I'd like something there is at least a lake beach nearby since we can't have the ocean. We'd like to get a minimum of 5 acres, but closer to 12. My fiance is a fan of target shooting, and we'd also like the land to have some peace and quiet and space, that we do not have up here. Our budget is about 30,000. I've done a few searches on LandWatch, but I still know nothing about the towns/counties to be able to pick one over another.
Any input is greatly appreciated!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2012, 11:12 AM

13,372 posts, read 27,044,128 times
My husband went through a similar search looking for lake-front. I'd suggest, first, get a large map of the state and look for lakes with public access.

Some possiblitites include around Salisbury, in Davidson and Rowan Counties, where High Rock Lake is. I found a few 5-acres lots under $30K around Denton. Also look around Albemarle and Badin (Stanly and Montgomery Counties). They have Badin lake, Lake Tillery and the Uwharrie National Forest.

FWIW we looked at Kerr Lake and Lake Gaston on the NC/VA border and found them too built up, and with limited public access. However, you might find land a bit further away in Granville or Person County or in Virginia. Happy Hunting!

Old 02-07-2012, 11:15 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times
I'm guessing 5 to 12 acres for $30,000 is going to be tough in NC, but maybe you can in remote areas - which I assume you're considering. Personally, I wouldn't want to be too isolated in retirement.

We bought a home in Lake Royale in Franklin County, NC, with the goal of hanging onto it long term (I'm 20+ years from retirement). But it's a subdivision with restrictions, so it might not work for you. You'd have to buy a few adjacent lots to come up with even an acre (some people have combined multiple lots into ~2 acres) as lots are generally 1/3 acre.

edit: perhaps I'm wrong, if you can get 5 acres in Denton for $30k...at least it's a great time to be buying!

Old 02-07-2012, 12:40 PM

13,372 posts, read 27,044,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
edit: perhaps I'm wrong, if you can get 5 acres in Denton for $30k...at least it's a great time to be buying!
The moderators don't let us post listings but on Flat Swamp Road in Denton, there's a bit over 5 acres for $23,000. It looks pretty, with trees and a gently rolling road. It reminded me of parts of Connecticut, so I thought the OP might like it. There might be a stream, but I don't think there's a swamp on it.

In addition, High Rock Lake nearby is very pretty.

Last edited by goldenage1; 02-07-2012 at 12:54 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 02:54 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
The moderators don't let us post listings but on Flat Swamp Road in Denton, there's a bit over 5 acres for $23,000. It looks pretty, with trees and a gently rolling road. It reminded me of parts of Connecticut, so I thought the OP might like it. There might be a stream, but I don't think there's a swamp on it.

In addition, High Rock Lake nearby is very pretty.
I see the property...looks nice. Within "city" limits of Denton.

Wish I was looking for property.

Old 02-07-2012, 04:25 PM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
If your main reason for going inland was to get a little more land for your money you should seriously look those land options I posted in your previous thread. Though the land is beautiful in Triad, as it is almost all of NC, it's still not quite the Mountains, and not the Coast and still a bit of a trek to either. Longer to the Coast, which it seems where you truly wanted to be on your previous thread.

The 7 Acre lot just above your price range at 33.9 is at thsi address:
127 baytree ln,havelock nc - Google Maps

The lot also backs up to open land, making the effect size of it much larger for shooting. The Map view shows the lots, the satelite view will give you a good look at the area. ALso, RE prices aren't frim, you may be able to talk down the price into your range.

This 5 acre lot at 33.5 is on the same road. You should defnitley be able to negotiate this price lower considere a lot that's almost 2 acres larger is only $400 more.
115 baytree landing,havelock nc - Google Maps

The one lot that was actually in your price range, 5.34 acres at 29.9, actually backs up to a stream.
1450 Blades Road, Havelock, NC - Google Maps

If you zoom out from the maps, you'll notice this land is in the Croatan National Forest and outside the city limits so I doubt you'll have too much concern about the area being built up around you. You're also only 25 minutes from the Beaufort Waterfront.

1450 Blades Rd, Havelock, NC 28532 to Front St, Beaufort, NC 28516 - Google Maps

You'd also be about 30 minutes from the hospital in Morehead City, versus 50 minutes to a hospital in Greensboro or Davie County.

1450 Blades Rd, Havelock, NC 28532 to Carteret General Hospital: Duda John R MD - Google Maps

Last edited by macjr82; 02-07-2012 at 04:34 PM..

Old 02-07-2012, 09:15 PM

Thanks for all the input. I'm planning our preliminary itinerary for our trip down in 2 weeks and we'll be starting at the border in Vance county by Kerr lake and then head towards Denton. Then we'll swing out to check out some of these spots in Havelock before heading north again. Thanks again!

Old 02-08-2012, 03:53 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,899,273 times
When you go to Havelock be sure to check out Beaufort and Morehead City. Those plots are actually closer to Beaufort than Havelock, though they have Havelock addresses.

Old 02-08-2012, 11:57 AM

Will do. We contacted a realtor to get as much info as possible before heading down. The 2 Baytree landing plots are in a subdivision, so we're wondering if there are a lot of restrictions or HOA fees associated with that.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:02 PM

5 posts, read 5,536 times
check out belews lake in the stokesdale area, baiden lake which is south of lexington
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point