U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 10:33 PM

10 posts, read 29,469 times

Advertisements

We are a fam of five and I'll be working in statesville. With one quick drive through there I can tell you we wont be living there. I've looked at school data 'till my eyes go blurry and numbers can only get you so far. Does anyone have any advise on great schools within say 45 minutes of Statesville?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 09:20 AM

219 posts, read 896,106 times
We moved into Alexander Cty and really love it here
The schools are great
Melissa

Old 09-08-2007, 11:36 AM

What do you like about it, and what town are you in...we are looking for a small town that is self sufficient. Somewhere that the homes in town are nice and kept up, where you can walk around the town. In other words, not run down, things to do, has some life to it with great schools. Maybe some new subdivisions and positive signs of growth...you know, Mayberry...

Old 09-08-2007, 12:19 PM

1,472 posts, read 3,674,624 times
Taylorsville is the most populous town in Alexander county I beleive. It is also in good driving distance of Hickory. What turned you off to Statesville?

Old 09-08-2007, 02:03 PM

2 posts, read 4,691 times
I am originally from Morganton but lived away for awhile. It is a nice place. check it out but avoid my sister and her husband..they in secret for 12 years used a power of attorney to steal all mother had and no one gave a happy darn because some of the goodies came their way..watch out for certain realtors there too..feel free to let me know if you are interested in details...my opinions ..I was just there recently.

Last edited by mary frances hoyle; 09-08-2007 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: thought about removing my name but I have a right to personal opinions , dont I ?

Old 09-08-2007, 02:18 PM

2 posts, read 4,691 times
I want to ask question about what a realtor can or ethically should not do in western NC. Realtor and my sister are big buddies. I live out of state and have been kept out of information loop during the time Mother was dying. These two use a power of attorney to take all the houses and properties 12 years BEFORE mother died. Mother left the four of us an equal part of one of the properties. My doctor told me to look into relocating for health reasons. I asked realtor for the key so I could see the house, I used to own it. She e-mailed that she would not give me a key so I could see the house I was brought up in and owned one fourth of. I traveled from Alaska to NC to see the property for myself. It did not meet my needs but I had to ask a non-involved realtor to get access to the house for me, and I owned part of it!!The realtor said the executor told her not to let me in. Realtor, sister, in-law used the cousin in many ways..he is a passive guy, lonely ,etc as executor..he said he did not know what he was doing but would not be sending any info to me because my sister told him she was representing the family..nope, never has and never will..realtor told my brother who lives there and has houses to sell,etc that she would not send me any info..and she did not or when she did, it was an e-mail saying "the family did this or that" but I never heard about things until ipso facto...it has been past the time limits the board has but was any of this realtor's behavior ethical? she hung around my aging mother until she finally got the business she was after, made low $$transactions with sister..refused to give info on five houses that money cannot be accounted for..thanks

Old 09-08-2007, 02:46 PM

3,574 posts, read 13,141,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highandfast View Post
We are a fam of five and I'll be working in statesville. With one quick drive through there I can tell you we wont be living there. I've looked at school data 'till my eyes go blurry and numbers can only get you so far. Does anyone have any advise on great schools within say 45 minutes of Statesville?
What can you tell on "one quick drive through...."

Old 09-08-2007, 06:23 PM

Maybe I judge too quickly...don't mean to offend. Maybe I drove in the wrong parts but it look like many business were boarded up (or on the verge of being boarded up). I didn't see anything new, not that I need "new" but that at least in some form means that people are moving there which in turn usually means it is a desirable area. It just looked run down. I realize that I am coming from a very affluent area (I am not affluent, just the area) so I cannot expect everywhere to look like here. (Alpharetta, GA)

I am simply looking for a nice area where we are comfortable with our children in school...low crime, accelerated programs...and a little town with some things to do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point