Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2012, 06:03 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,557,269 times

Advertisements

If you don't like 4 Seasons you may not like Hanes either, then again malls are all the same to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2012, 03:38 PM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoga4life View Post
it doesn't have stores like the following

FENDI
Kenneth Cole
Louis Vuitton
Henri Bendel
Free People
Kate Spade
Montblanc
Prada
Salvatore Ferragamo
A|X Armani Exchange
Papyrus
Hermes
Lululemon
St john
Nicole Miller
Cartier
BVLGARI

Which is all in one mall in bigger cities ..
Also with a bigger mall means better place to eat then MCFat
90% of the major cities in the US don't have these stores. How is this a particular short-coming of the Triad?

Old 04-13-2012, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
There is a Pottery Barn in Hanes Mall, just another Kirklands/Pier 1 IMO.
Except with far better made merchandise, but yep otherwise exactly the same.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
90% of the major cities in the US don't have these stores. How is this a particular short-coming of the Triad?
Good point Kyle, and to be honest these names mean nothing to me. Most I've never heard of.

Old 04-14-2012, 05:31 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
How is this a particular short-coming of the Triad?
That wasn't the point being made.
The point (made by me) was toning down an assessment of "good" shopping in the Triad to "adequate".
The shopping in the Triad is adequate.

Old 04-14-2012, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The point (made by me) was toning down an assessment of "good" shopping in the Triad to "adequate".
The shopping in the Triad is adequate.
Define "adequate," I call it good as I can get everything thing I need within 10 minutes from where I live and it is not a necessity for me to drive to a neighboring city/area.

Old 04-16-2012, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The point (made by me) was toning down an assessment of "good" shopping in the Triad to "adequate". The shopping in the Triad is adequate.
And the point I was making is that it's above just adequate. For example, how many cities have a Whole Foods Market and a Trader Joe's? The answer is not that many because it requires a specific demographic. The many other metro areas the same size or larger that lack both stores would be deemed "adequate" in my opinion as they surely have grocery options otherwise. The Triad would be considered at least "good" since they have not only the usual options but also the upgraded options. The Triad also has Apple Store, Anthropologie, Aveda, Birkenstock, JCrew, Pottery Barn, REI, Sur La Table, and Williams Sonoma...which are more exclusive retailers that aren't in just any mall in the US. I have been in the Retail industry for over 10 years and can tell you it's well beyond "adequate".

Old 01-02-2013, 03:20 PM

12 posts, read 26,888 times
Thank you for the responses. I originally posed this question nearly a year ago and now the opportunity has come up again.
Has anything changed drastically in Greensboro in the past year?

Do kids play sports through the local rec centers or are there private sports teams? Do most people belong to pools or tennis clubs?
Are there any neighborhoods one would strongly recommend?
Our community in Denver offers so much for families and kids that we're really scared to give it up. We hope we could find something like that in the GSO/Winston Salem area.

Old 01-02-2013, 03:28 PM

12 posts, read 26,888 times
Another follow up question- also considering living in Winston Salem- any comments or feedback about that too?

Old 01-02-2013, 04:18 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
There's one very simple answer: Plan a visit and spend a few days checking out the Triad, looking at it from a "resident's" POV, not a "tourist's".

I am from NC (not the Triad, but have spent a lot of time there, including this past weekend) and I spent a week in Denver this summer. I love both places, but it is hard to make a blanket statement about how a move will affect you without knowing you. Denver is a really cool place with almost unlimited outdoor recreation, so if that aspect of Denver is important to you, you'll be disappointed, but undoubtedly you would find things about the Southeast you would like, too.

Greensboro and Winston-Salem are so close together, you'd end up doing things in both, no matter which one you lived in. W-S has a renowned medical center at Wake Forest U, plus a cool and growing Arts scene, helped by NC School of the Arts, but Greensboro is no slouch in the "culture" department, either. Plenty of family-friendly things, no worries there.

Come for a visit; then follow up with specific questions. You seem to have a nagging hesitation that is not going to be answered by strangers on the Internet (nor should it be), so spending time in your potential new home will assuage worries and let you see a lot of things for yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point