U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-01-2012, 07:36 AM
 
115 posts, read 39,719 times
Reputation: 38

Advertisements

Okay it is about an hour from the Triad area, but I've posted here to see if anyone has ever attended.

We are going to this year's festival and have never been before.

Anyone have any recommendations of restaurants to try or vineyards that are particularly good?

Here is a link to the festival:

Yadkin Valley Wine Festival Home Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-01-2012, 03:53 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,123 posts, read 57,026,781 times
Reputation: 38358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorieleanor View Post
Okay it is about an hour from the Triad area, but I've posted here to see if anyone has ever attended.

We are going to this year's festival and have never been before.

Anyone have any recommendations of restaurants to try or vineyards that are particularly good?

Here is a link to the festival:

Yadkin Valley Wine Festival Home Page
This is a nice festival, you'll be glad you went

My personal favorite is Round Peak Vineyards - love their Chardonnay. It's a great little place to visit right up I77 at exit 100. Nice mountain backdrop on their back porch for sipping wine and taking some photo's. But by going to The festival in Elkin you'll get to taste many good wines!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 04:09 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,123 posts, read 57,026,781 times
Reputation: 38358
https://roundpeak.com/#our-place
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 04:30 PM
 
115 posts, read 39,719 times
Reputation: 38
Thank you so much for the info. and the link. I hope they will have a booth at the festival. If so, I will make a note to be sure to try their wine. I love chardonnay. We have rented a cabin at Frog Hollar Cabins in Elkin.

Since we are new to this part of the world, we hope to visit the Blue Ridge Mountains area next.

Thanks again !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 04:32 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,123 posts, read 57,026,781 times
Reputation: 38358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorieleanor View Post
Thank you so much for the info. and the link. I hope they will have a booth at the festival. If so, I will make a note to be sure to try their wine. I love chardonnay. We have rented a cabin at Frog Hollar Cabins in Elkin.

Since we are new to this part of the world, we hope to visit the Blue Ridge Mountains area next.

Thanks again !
You are talking about one of my favorite places in the world Please let me know what else I can tell you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 04:47 PM
 
115 posts, read 39,719 times
Reputation: 38
Thanks so much. We aren't sure when we will be able to plan a visit to the Blue Ridge Mountains, but we were considering this rental for when we do:

Bittersweet Cottage & Suite

After that, I guess we need to see the beaches..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,123 posts, read 57,026,781 times
Reputation: 38358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorieleanor View Post
Thanks so much. We aren't sure when we will be able to plan a visit to the Blue Ridge Mountains, but we were considering this rental for when we do:

Bittersweet Cottage & Suite

After that, I guess we need to see the beaches..
Ohhhh, that's pretty

But just know, you don't have to go all the way to Asheville to see the Blue Ridge! Head up from Elkin when you go to the wine festival and see the Parkway
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:04 PM
 
115 posts, read 39,719 times
Reputation: 38
Is it far? A long drive from Elkin? We will arrive on Friday and depart on Sunday. The only thing we have planned is the Saturday wine festival. We plan to arrive early Friday a.m., so we will have the entire day to roam around. Do you think we have time to see a bit of the Parkway?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Up above the world so high!
45,123 posts, read 57,026,781 times
Reputation: 38358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorieleanor View Post
Is it far? A long drive from Elkin? We will arrive on Friday and depart on Sunday. The only thing we have planned is the Saturday wine festival. We plan to arrive early Friday a.m., so we will have the entire day to roam around. Do you think we have time to see a bit of the Parkway?
Most definitely! You can travel out of Elkin up hwy 21 toward Sparta and be on the parkway in about 21 miles

Unfortunately, once you get to the Parkway it is closed temporarily for some road improvements going south - and that is the prettiest part in that section.

But you can still go north and enjoy some nice spots all the way to Fancy Gap - where you can get on I77 to head home.

Or, take hwy 21 beyond the Parkway into Sparta and ride the detour to get on the Parkway heading south - that would be a pretty drive and you could turn around anytime you've seen enough
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2012, 05:27 PM
 
115 posts, read 39,719 times
Reputation: 38
I will pull out a map and look at that. Sounds great! About how long do you think it takes to get to Fancy Gap? I presume I77 will take us back down to Elkin (sorry, not looked at a map yet). Thanks so much for your help. Really appreciated.

If you are ever near Oak Ridge, NC, would love to buy you a coffee (or whatever).

We are really looking forward to our first weekend out and about in NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top