Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2012, 06:43 PM

115 posts, read 178,450 times

Advertisements

Yes, they are. Your question?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2012, 07:34 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,506,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryKaye View Post
This helped me immensely. Originally from small town in Pennsylvania and have been living in Myrtle Beach for past 5 (husband calls it "Murder Beach") We are renting house in the Hamilton Hills area and move next week-end. We have been to Greensboro thrice and didn't have much luck finding a four bedroom so we spent the long buck and went thru a realtor but still have only seen pictures of the house but pretty sure the neighborhood is safe. Do you happen to know the area? I kind of feel like we are going in blindfolded. Google Earth has helped some.
"Murder Beach"
Have a specific street?

Old 04-19-2012, 09:43 PM

5,915 posts, read 6,399,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorieleanor View Post
Yes, they are. Your question?
Just an observation. No question.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:48 AM

skins - I don't know what your budget is, but you could have a look in Oak Ridge. Prices are somewhat similar to Summerfield, but there is a bit more to choose from, IMO. If you do buy in Summerfield, be sure to check with your realtor on road constructions that will take place over the next few years. It had a big impact on our choice.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
skins - I don't know what your budget is, but you could have a look in Oak Ridge. Prices are somewhat similar to Summerfield, but there is a bit more to choose from, IMO. If you do buy in Summerfield, be sure to check with your realtor on road constructions that will take place over the next few years. It had a big impact on our choice.
Ah, good point! I have heard something, in passing, about a new bypass being built? Which would be excellent for me since I'm more than likely still going to be working in Martinsville.

Love the Oak Ridge area as well. My fiancee' parents live in that area. Our budget, at the max, is going to be around $160k, so I know that probably greatly reduces our options in Summerfield.

Old 04-20-2012, 01:34 PM

Have a look at River Hills Plantation or The Cardinal. You should be able to find a nice home for that price. It is 5 miles from Oak Ridge. My mother lives in this neighborhood and we rented a home a few doors down from her for a year, while we searched for a home to purchase.

Here's a link to a few for sale:

River Hills Ct Property Records - Public Records on River Hills Ct in Greensboro, NC - Realtor.com®

The exact location of the home in this area can be of importance due to air traffic activity. The house we rented rarely ever had any noise issues from airplanes and I am very sensitive to noise. Your realtor should know, or be able to obtain, the exact air traffic paths (ours new them VERY well) and can advise you where to avoid.

There are homes in Oak Ridge in your price range, but they are older homes.

Or, you could rent a home in the River Hills neighborhood, like we did, while you search for the perfect home.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Have a look at River Hills Plantation or The Cardinal. You should be able to find a nice home for that price. It is 5 miles from Oak Ridge. My mother lives in this neighborhood and we rented a home a few doors down from her for a year, while we searched for a home to purchase.

Here's a link to a few for sale:

River Hills Ct Property Records - Public Records on River Hills Ct in Greensboro, NC - Realtor.com®

The exact location of the home in this area can be of importance due to air traffic activity. The house we rented rarely ever had any noise issues from airplanes and I am very sensitive to noise. Your realtor should know, or be able to obtain, the exact air traffic paths (ours new them VERY well) and can advise you where to avoid.

There are homes in Oak Ridge in your price range, but they are older homes.

Or, you could rent a home in the River Hills neighborhood, like we did, while you search for the perfect home.
My fiancee' lived in the Cardinal apartments next to Lowe's Foods. It took me approximately 50 minutes, give or take the traffic (getting behind a big 18 wheeler) to get to her place from my work. I'm assuming the Cardinal housing development is on the same road? If so, then I can handle that drive. Once I'm out on 220, it's clear sailing.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:06 PM

12,573 posts, read 15,506,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Ah, good point! I have heard something, in passing, about a new bypass being built? Which would be excellent for me since I'm more than likely still going to be working in Martinsville.

Love the Oak Ridge area as well. My fiancee' parents live in that area. Our budget, at the max, is going to be around $160k, so I know that probably greatly reduces our options in Summerfield.
There is a by-pass under construction though currently the construction on the northern loop is halted. The southern portion of the loop has been open for a couple of years. The Gov has been trying to get the timeline pushed up to resume construction. Once completed it will be referred to as the 840.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:08 PM

My Mother's Mother-in-Law lives in that same complex. It certainly has gone down hill over the past decade.

The neighborhood I linked you to is the first paved road to the right when departing The Cardinal apts., turning right onto Old Oak Ridge Road, then right on River Hills Drive.

If you continue about 1 mile, there will be a brick entrance sign for The Cardinal. Both neighborhoods merge together at that point. I advise staying off River Hills Drive and Cardinal Ridge Road - both of which are the major entry/exit roads for the large neighborhood, creating lots of traffic.

It is not terribly hard to find rentals in this area if you choose to do that before buying.

Old 04-23-2012, 02:58 PM

Quote:
My Mother's Mother-in-Law lives in that same complex. It certainly has gone down hill over the past decade.

The neighborhood I linked you to is the first paved road to the right when departing The Cardinal apts., turning right onto Old Oak Ridge Road, then right on River Hills Drive.

If you continue about 1 mile, there will be a brick entrance sign for The Cardinal. Both neighborhoods merge together at that point. I advise staying off River Hills Drive and Cardinal Ridge Road - both of which are the major entry/exit roads for the large neighborhood, creating lots of traffic.

It is not terribly hard to find rentals in this area if you choose to do that before buying.
Thank you so much for the advice! My fiancee and I are just kind of waiting to hear back on a couple of things before we make a solid move toward a particular place, but we both general want to stay within a close proximity of her family and 220 so that I can head up to VA quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point