Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2012, 02:41 PM

5,915 posts, read 6,399,803 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aspe4 View Post
I used to commute from Greensboro to Virginia. Have you looked at the local universities? Here's a start: View Current Job Listings at High Point University - High Point University Jobs

Also, you might want to see what the local governments in the triad are offering. Good luck.
I have thought about the local colleges and I have looked at their job postings on occasion. I haven't found anything yet, but I'd love to work for one of the colleges. The reason why I'd maybe want to look more into the mental health field for I.T. jobs is that I have a lot of experience working in that industry, and feel my technical knowledge coupled with my knowledge of the business side of the mental health/substance abuse field would be right up my alley.

I do see commuting to VA everyday is going to get old, especially if the pay isn't enough to justify the commute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2012, 05:52 PM

479 posts, read 833,031 times
You might check for jobs with Moses Cone Health Systems, they have a rather large IT department. Also High Point Regional Hospital...

There are several tech placement firms around Greensboro. Best bet might be to post a resume on Dice.com Seems recruiters are more likely to search for candidates vs. responding to submitted resumes.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
You might check for jobs with Moses Cone Health Systems, they have a rather large IT department. Also High Point Regional Hospital...

There are several tech placement firms around Greensboro. Best bet might be to post a resume on Dice.com Seems recruiters are more likely to search for candidates vs. responding to submitted resumes.
Dice.com you say? I must be out of it, because I've been using Monster.com and careerbuilder and haven't gotten anything out of those sites. Thanks for the info!

Old 06-22-2012, 06:03 PM

75 posts, read 382,832 times
I hope you find something. The biggest way to find IT jobs in the Piedmont is word of mouth. Get to know as many IT guys as you can and find out where they have worked. If you want temp. IT work try out the big banks in the area. Most are usually hiring on a temp basis. If you have any, and I mean any odd financial history skip applying to Bank of America. FWIW I've seen IT guys take steep pay cuts to keep jobs in the Triad. There is usually a long wait for a job at the hospitals. Smaller companies might be your best bet, but also look into telecommuting for companies outside the area.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCis4me View Post
I hope you find something. The biggest way to find IT jobs in the Piedmont is word of mouth. Get to know as many IT guys as you can and find out where they have worked. If you want temp. IT work try out the big banks in the area. Most are usually hiring on a temp basis. If you have any, and I mean any odd financial history skip applying to Bank of America. FWIW I've seen IT guys take steep pay cuts to keep jobs in the Triad. There is usually a long wait for a job at the hospitals. Smaller companies might be your best bet, but also look into telecommuting for companies outside the area.
I think as far as the pay cuts, I'm already getting paid much, much, less than what I.T. guys get paid in the Triad area. I could be wrong, but I'm thinking my current salary is pretty much bottom of the barrel - of course I do work in Martinsville, VA, and since the cost of living is low in Martinsville, the pay tends to be much lower than other areas.

It sounds pretty much similar to getting jobs in Martinsville - word of mouth! My brother's father in law works for a company close to Oak Ridge, which is where I'll be living, so I'm thinking of just putting my resume into places that may or may not be hiring, just being proactive.

Old 06-27-2012, 09:03 AM

273 posts, read 946,700 times
Another place to do job searches is indeed.com It's an aggregate site, where you can actually setup keyword notifications to let you know when a specific job or category is posted.

Old 06-27-2012, 10:10 AM

Do you guys think once I have my NC address, that it might be a better advantage as to having my current VA address? I know in years past, I've had friends to tell me that they would go out and get Post Office Boxes to make it look as if they were local, and would use the post office box address to send out resumes. I'm thinking maybe once I move down there in October, it might be a little easier? At least it would be easier going for interviews...lol!

Old 06-27-2012, 07:49 PM

479 posts, read 833,031 times
I don't think address is as much of an issue as it used to be. If you know someone local, maybe you could temporarily list their address on a resume? If the topic comes up, just say the address was temporary until a home locally was identified.

If you've got your resume posted on dice.com and searchable, should be getting at least a couple of contacts per week?
Completing the "skills" portion of the profile is key on dice.

If not, I highly recommend "Ace the IT Resume" available at Amazon for download to Kindle. It'll help you make an excellent presentation and gives awesome prep advice for an interview. Seems many IT workers have no clue how to effectively market their skills. Gotta say that book helped polish my own presentation. Also set up a LinkedIn profile, if you already haven't.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
I don't think address is as much of an issue as it used to be. If you know someone local, maybe you could temporarily list their address on a resume? If the topic comes up, just say the address was temporary until a home locally was identified.

If you've got your resume posted on dice.com and searchable, should be getting at least a couple of contacts per week?
Completing the "skills" portion of the profile is key on dice.

If not, I highly recommend "Ace the IT Resume" available at Amazon for download to Kindle. It'll help you make an excellent presentation and gives awesome prep advice for an interview. Seems many IT workers have no clue how to effectively market their skills. Gotta say that book helped polish my own presentation. Also set up a LinkedIn profile, if you already haven't.
All very good advice, thanks and thank you guys for all you have posted. Before this thread, I had no idea about dice.com! I thought Monster.com was the be all and end all of job sites, but apparently not so much now! I do have a Linkedin profile, but I hardly ever use it. I'll have to blow off the dust on the profile and start updating it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point