Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 07:46 PM
ajb ajb started this thread

10 posts, read 51,823 times

Advertisements

we are planning to move to lexington n.c.....highrock lake,to be specific.
we would like any info.we can possibly get concerning that area. thank you...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2006, 09:47 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,694,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb View Post
we are planning to move to lexington n.c.....highrock lake,to be specific.
we would like any info.we can possibly get concerning that area. thank you...

I love that area. High Rock lake in particular. I wouldn't mind living there myself - rural feeling but close enough to all the major things you need. Lexington is a nice little community - and has the best bar-b-que in the whole state Can't think of a bad thing to tell you about the place.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:21 AM

60 posts, read 303,531 times
I am a Lexington native, lived there for 12 years and still have the majority of my family in that area. If you are looking for a small town it's ok, the lake is nice (I grew up in a house where the lake was in my back yard), but you couldn't pay me to move back. Very few jobs, very conservative area. Not my cup of tea. If that's what you are looking for though it may be a good fit. I live in the Raleigh area now and just couldn't go back to a place like that... not enough diversity for me (I love ethnic food, of which there is little in Lexington).

I assume that if you are looking to move to the area then you aren't looking for an urban setting, so like I said it might be a good fit for you.

The lake is great for boating and fishing for a good portion of the year. Not sure if they still do this but they open the **** to the Yadkin River in the winter and drain out a lot of the water in the lake. We lived on a small offshoot of the main body of the lake, so every winter our house backed up to a huge mud pit. You could walk across to the other side of the lake in the winter when in the summer you could drive a boat in there. The area we lived in was called Southmont, but our address was Lexington, even though it took probably 15 minutes to get into the town of Lexington.

The BBQ is definitely excellent in that area and you aren't too far from Winston-Salem, so you could try to land a job in that area and commute. It's maybe a 30-45 minute drive depending on where in W-S you are going. Lexington used to have thriving furniture and textile industries 20 or so years ago, but almost all of those jobs have disappeared and nothing has come along to replace them. Downtown Lexington is a quaint place. If you are into Nascar, Richard Childress is based there and has a winery plus I think a museum. Schools in the area are so-so, nothing to write home about (but that's typical for probably 95% of NC public schools).

Not sure what other info you are looking for but I hope this helps. I'm not trying to disuade you from moving to the area but mainly just trying to help you get a realistic feel for the place.

Old 09-20-2006, 09:46 AM

676 posts, read 3,075,479 times
I just moved to Lexington in July, but I am closer to Winston-Salem than Lexington city, so I haven't even been to Lexington yet! Anyway, I was looking online for local lakes to visit and I discoverd Hanging Rock. I thought it sounded great until I started to read a section of the website where people can post feedback. Many locals and especially lake front homeowners are livid with Duke Power because they divert much of the water out of the lake, turning it into a mud pit. There were a lot of messages from lake property owners saying their boats are stuck in the mud and their property feels worthless to them. Also, they were upset because people who don't live there can at least drive their boats and launch them off the main dock, but they are virtually stuck in the mud without any chance of enjoying the lake even though they live on it! These postings were all from this summer and current, so as the other person previously posted, I don't think they are just diverting water in the winter anymore. Some of the homeowners were also obviously concerned about how this is affecting their property value. Of course this isn't first hand information from me, but after reading post after post all saying the same thing, it convinced me to not want to go visit on a weekend. I believe I remember reading they had some kind of meeting about their concerns, so you may want to try to sit in on one before buying property on a potential mud pit. I wish I could remember the website! I googled High Rock lake, so you may be able to find more information that way.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
I love that area. High Rock lake in particular. I wouldn't mind living there myself - rural feeling but close enough to all the major things you need. Lexington is a nice little community - and has the best bar-b-que in the whole state Can't think of a bad thing to tell you about the place.
thanks for the feedback,like you i think the area is very nice,but i'm a little concerned about the lake itself! i understand that it is drained to a certain point in the winter & becomes quite muddy!! i need to do a little more investigating.
ajb

Old 09-20-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by opstand View Post
I am a Lexington native, lived there for 12 years and still have the majority of my family in that area. If you are looking for a small town it's ok, the lake is nice (I grew up in a house where the lake was in my back yard), but you couldn't pay me to move back. Very few jobs, very conservative area. Not my cup of tea. If that's what you are looking for though it may be a good fit. I live in the Raleigh area now and just couldn't go back to a place like that... not enough diversity for me (I love ethnic food, of which there is little in Lexington).

I assume that if you are looking to move to the area then you aren't looking for an urban setting, so like I said it might be a good fit for you.

The lake is great for boating and fishing for a good portion of the year. Not sure if they still do this but they open the **** to the Yadkin River in the winter and drain out a lot of the water in the lake. We lived on a small offshoot of the main body of the lake, so every winter our house backed up to a huge mud pit. You could walk across to the other side of the lake in the winter when in the summer you could drive a boat in there. The area we lived in was called Southmont, but our address was Lexington, even though it took probably 15 minutes to get into the town of Lexington.

The BBQ is definitely excellent in that area and you aren't too far from Winston-Salem, so you could try to land a job in that area and commute. It's maybe a 30-45 minute drive depending on where in W-S you are going. Lexington used to have thriving furniture and textile industries 20 or so years ago, but almost all of those jobs have disappeared and nothing has come along to replace them. Downtown Lexington is a quaint place. If you are into Nascar, Richard Childress is based there and has a winery plus I think a museum. Schools in the area are so-so, nothing to write home about (but that's typical for probably 95% of NC public schools).

Not sure what other info you are looking for but I hope this helps. I'm not trying to disuade you from moving to the area but mainly just trying to help you get a realistic feel for the place.
your reply is very informative....thanks! not worried about schools & won't be working !! just want to fish & play & live on the lake. i'm going to try to get more info re:the lake itself.

Old 09-20-2006, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I just moved to Lexington in July, but I am closer to Winston-Salem than Lexington city, so I haven't even been to Lexington yet! Anyway, I was looking online for local lakes to visit and I discoverd Hanging Rock. I thought it sounded great until I started to read a section of the website where people can post feedback. Many locals and especially lake front homeowners are livid with Duke Power because they divert much of the water out of the lake, turning it into a mud pit. There were a lot of messages from lake property owners saying their boats are stuck in the mud and their property feels worthless to them. Also, they were upset because people who don't live there can at least drive their boats and launch them off the main dock, but they are virtually stuck in the mud without any chance of enjoying the lake even though they live on it! These postings were all from this summer and current, so as the other person previously posted, I don't think they are just diverting water in the winter anymore. Some of the homeowners were also obviously concerned about how this is affecting their property value. Of course this isn't first hand information from me, but after reading post after post all saying the same thing, it convinced me to not want to go visit on a weekend. I believe I remember reading they had some kind of meeting about their concerns, so you may want to try to sit in on one before buying property on a potential mud pit. I wish I could remember the website! I googled High Rock lake, so you may be able to find more information that way.
thanks for the reply!i do plan on investigating further,as a matter of fact i'll be in lexington again on oct. 20- 22, will do some home then.:

Old 07-20-2007, 05:33 PM

4 posts, read 17,601 times
Default jobs in Lexington NC Winston Salem

Hello I was wondering if you could give me some job information in those area i live in WS for seven years And my job was downsize So i had to move But i would love to back to that area I love that area Will i know the economy is getting better And i know the job oppurunties are better for me I have try job websites temp employment agency Even been down there looking for job Any feedback would help Thank you Carolyn

Old 07-20-2007, 09:52 PM

222 posts, read 936,125 times
Hi ajb,

There is nothing wrong with HRL's water levels this summer. Alcoa, not Duke Power, owns the lake and they have very strict rules regarding how the property owners are to set up their docks and piers. Go to livingonhighrock.com for a link to Alcoa. I know a few years ago, when we were in a bad drought, the lake level was so low it was not useable a lot of the summer.
Sounds like you are planning on retiring there, so you will probably love it. The local medical community overall is good as is the hospital. You are not very far from a large teaching hospital - Wake Forest University/Baptist Medical Center. I-85 is close to the lake, so it's within an hour to Greensboro or Charlotte.
I also sent you a pm.

Hope this helps. October will be a beautiful time to visit.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:39 PM

16,761 posts, read 8,208,674 times
Just contracted with a builder to start a new home on High Rock Lake. Rowan County side. Sunset Pointe development.Very pretty. I understand the lake will only be lowered 6FT. during fall. there were complants made about previous years. Check out SalisburyPost.com or NClakefront .com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point