U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 AM

4 posts, read 7,229 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I’m looking around, and comparing different security companies, but having hardest time making decision. Does anyone have any suggestions, or experiences, you can share? So many reviews seem to be the negative, and it seems most people only post reviews, when they have had a bad experience... So that isn't helping weed out if company A is better than company B... Then again I know it hard to say much if you never had bad experience or had anything happen, so you tell how well your company worked...

But help me please!! lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 11:13 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,104,766 times
IMO, there isn't much to distinguish between them. ADT is of course the monster out there...they often buy up smaller rivals.

I'm not a fan of long-term contracts. We went with Carolina Alarm. We prepaid for one year of monitoring. We'll probably continue with them since their price is one of the best I've seen ($225/year IIRC for monitoring). Since we didn't have to sign a long-term contract, we paid more for the system - I think it was about $300 (plus the monitoring). So first year cost about $525; it will be $225/year therafter. ADT would have been around $35/month or $400 per year, or $1,200 over a three year contract. Carolina Alarm didn't do the high pressure sales tactics that ADT and others typically use.

We've set off several false alarms (oops!), and quickly received a call to check on us. One time, my daughter set off the alarm after coming home from school...she was flustered and forgot the code, so the alarm went off. The monitoring company called, but either she didn't remember the "secret word" or she didn't answer the phone (don't remember which), and the police (actually sheriff) was dispatched and arrived in a few minutes.

Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 AM

Hmm this sounds good. So you bought your system up front basically. Then you have a yearly fee. I was looking around for something like that.. Not sure I want to pay so much up front though. Can't seem to find anyone thats month to month, or only does 1 or 2 year contracts. Was thinking of going with CPI, but they were going to charge me 49.95 a month... Then I talked with ASG Security, who told me that could give me same thing CPI is giving for $250 down... at 36.95 a month.

This includes:

Monitoring
1 Control Communicator
1 LCD Display
1 Interior Sounder
3 Door Contact
1 Key Fob
1 Camera

So I may do ASG.. But still looking for something that will provide same, with out the 3 year contract deal etc.... I know buying equipment would help, to get away from this contract stuff.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:15 PM

28,490 posts, read 62,120,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticguy View Post

I’m looking around, and comparing...
But help me please!!
The best security system is getting along with your neighbors (especially the ones with sight lines of your home) keeping your shrubs well trimmed, good locks, and a motion sensor light (or two).
Pasting or posting an emblem from one of the companies?... sure, why not.

Doing more, and especially paying for that service... not so much.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:20 PM

Yeah I feel you on that. It seems like I would be paying for something, that only used when it actually goes off... So why pay so much, or be under contract... Guess I would have to go with a do it yourself system, and pay for monitoring, if wanted something in that way..

Old 05-08-2012, 01:16 PM

115 posts, read 154,038 times
We looked at several when we bought our house. They all seemed to want a minimum of a two or three year contract - that you simply could NOT get out of, for any reason. I just don't like that.

Agree with getting to know your neighbors, but if our home was in a remote area, I would buckle under the pressure and sign on for a monitored alarm system. I am often alone in my home.

You may want to check with the local Sheriff's office and ask them if they have any comment on what type of system they think is most effective. Worth asking, IMO.

Old 05-09-2012, 06:53 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,104,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticguy View Post
Hmm this sounds good. So you bought your system up front basically. Then you have a yearly fee. I was looking around for something like that.. Not sure I want to pay so much up front though. Can't seem to find anyone thats month to month, or only does 1 or 2 year contracts. Was thinking of going with CPI, but they were going to charge me 49.95 a month... Then I talked with ASG Security, who told me that could give me same thing CPI is giving for $250 down... at 36.95 a month.

This includes:

Monitoring
1 Control Communicator
1 LCD Display
1 Interior Sounder
3 Door Contact
1 Key Fob
1 Camera

So I may do ASG.. But still looking for something that will provide same, with out the 3 year contract deal etc.... I know buying equipment would help, to get away from this contract stuff.
For a camera system, $37/month doesn't sound that bad - it's about what ADT charges for a regular system without video. I looked into systems with video (and could have bought one through Carolina Alarm) but decided the extra cost wasn't worth it. Again, they'll do a one-year term but of course you'll pay more upfront (with longer terms, you're just paying for the equipment in a higher monthly fee).

Old 05-09-2012, 08:41 AM

Thinking of getting my own Wireless system and installing now. Then can chose to pay for monitoring, or self monitoring going that route. Anyone have an suggestion good Wireless Do it your self systems? Looking at SimpliSafe and AAS Alarm now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point