Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2012, 11:23 AM

57 posts, read 91,722 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone! My husband has been through a long interview process and has been offered the position in Winston-Salem. Now comes all the craziness We've lived here for most of our lives, this is our first move and we have 2 young kids. So I need some recommendations:

* Communities (Home rental)
* Family Dr.
*Gyno.
*Pediatrician
*Dentist
*Pediatric Dentist

Thank you so much. I have a lot to do and a lot falls on me since my husband will be wrapping up stuff with his job here.

Hold on people, its gonna be a bumpy ride!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2012, 01:23 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,629,299 times
Congrats on the offer!

We bought a house immediately after I started my job (we found a house we loved the previous year that was still for sale, so we didn't need to rent), so I can't offer any suggestions on rentals. But welcome to the area!

I like Enlighten Dental in W-S. We even had our 11 year old daughter go there this last visit, though she probably should have stayed with a pediatric dentist - she's quite apprehensive.

I'm still looking for a doctor I like, and my wife hasn't found one yet (we moved here last summer).

Old 05-17-2012, 05:49 PM

27 posts, read 61,480 times
Good to hear y'all are coming to the area. I don't know your price range, but I prefer the Mt. Tabor/Pfafftown side of town. It has good schools, convenient amenities, and so on.

Wake Forest Baptist Health and Novant (Forsyth Medical) are the two major medical providers in town. Both have big hospitals and a network of doctor offices scattered around. There's really no major difference of one over the other, so convenience of what is closest should probably inform your decision over where to go.

Have you all looked at any possibilities yet?

Old 05-17-2012, 06:03 PM

97 posts, read 315,610 times
Hi, and welcome to Winston! Our pediatrician is Dr. Leslie Smith- she's at Cornerstone Pediatrics in Kernersville. I've had pediatricians in the past (4 children ranging in age from 20 to 1) who dismissed concerns I had and I don't like it when my gut instinct isn't respected when it comes to my children. This office has an all-female staff and they're all mothers so I never have to worry about that with them, even if it turns out that I've worried over nothing. They always assure me that if I'm worried about somethng to call, and if they can't address the issue on the phone they work me in immediately. Also, they have office hours 7 days a week and the office is open until 7 on weeknights, although evening and weekend hours are generally reserved for sick visits unless there's an issue with your schedule, in which case they will try to work with you. Dr. Smith is an excellent doctor and her supporting PA and nursing staff are awesome. Last year or the year before, I asked about the flu vaccine for my kids. Dr. Smith said she was not comfortable with the research that had been done so far and advised against it, urging me to focus on prevention instead. I took her advice and later found out there were issues with the formulation of the vaccines and most were barely effective at best, and some weren't effective at all. I am not against standard vaccinations but I appreciated her advice on this issue and felt it indicated that she stayed on top of research and development of medications, treatment and vaccines.

The office is super clean with two huge waiting rooms with toys for the kids to play with, although I don't think I've ever waited even five minutes to be called back once we checked in for an appointment. (The waiting rooms are separate but identical and are on either side of the receptionist's desk. This is so kids who are sick can wait in one area and kids who are there for well visits wait in the other so they don't catch colds and tummy bugs.) Another thing I appreciate about them is they don't "milk" visits so they can charge for an appointment. My son had a recurring issue with little dry patches in his diaper area that always healed up immediately with Nystatin cream. They saw him the first couple of times but then told me that now that we knew what the issue was to call if I noticed it again and they would call the prescription in for me to pick up. I appreciate them being willing to see my children on a moment's notice but also making it easy for me to handle minor things like this without having to make an appointment and paying another co-pay when it wasn't necessary.

The first area of Winston that comes to mind if you're looking to rent a house is the Ardmore area. When you're ready to buy, you might want to research Clemmons, Lewisville/Pfafftown and Kernersville- all within Forsyth County.

Good luck with the move! Hope everything goes smoothly for you and your family. Take care.

Last edited by laneynewport; 05-17-2012 at 06:26 PM.. Reason: creepy emoticon at the end.

Old 05-17-2012, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laneynewport View Post
Hi, and welcome to Winston! Our pediatrician is Dr. Leslie Smith- she's at Cornerstone Pediatrics in Kernersville. I've had pediatricians in the past (4 children ranging in age from 20 to 1) who dismissed concerns I had and I don't like it when my gut instinct isn't respected when it comes to my children. This office has an all-female staff and they're all mothers so I never have to worry about that with them, even if it turns out that I've worried over nothing. They always assure me that if I'm worried about somethng to call, and if they can't address the issue on the phone they work me in immediately. Also, they have office hours 7 days a week and the office is open until 7 on weeknights, although evening and weekend hours are generally reserved for sick visits unless there's an issue with your schedule, in which case they will try to work with you. Dr. Smith is an excellent doctor and her supporting PA and nursing staff are awesome. Last year or the year before, I asked about the flu vaccine for my kids. Dr. Smith said she was not comfortable with the research that had been done so far and advised against it, urging me to focus on prevention instead. I took her advice and later found out there were issues with the formulation of the vaccines and most were barely effective at best, and some weren't effective at all. I am not against standard vaccinations but I appreciated her advice on this issue and felt it indicated that she stayed on top of research and development of medications, treatment and vaccines.

The office is super clean with two huge waiting rooms with toys for the kids to play with, although I don't think I've ever waited even five minutes to be called back once we checked in for an appointment. (The waiting rooms are separate but identical and are on either side of the receptionist's desk. This is so kids who are sick can wait in one area and kids who are there for well visits wait in the other so they don't catch colds and tummy bugs.) Another thing I appreciate about them is they don't "milk" visits so they can charge for an appointment. My son had a recurring issue with little dry patches in his diaper area that always healed up immediately with Nystatin cream. They saw him the first couple of times but then told me that now that we knew what the issue was to call if I noticed it again and they would call the prescription in for me to pick up. I appreciate them being willing to see my children on a moment's notice but also making it easy for me to handle minor things like this without having to make an appointment and paying another co-pay when it wasn't necessary.

The first area of Winston that comes to mind if you're looking to rent a house is the Ardmore area. When you're ready to buy, you might want to research Clemmons, Lewisville/Pfafftown and Kernersville- all within Forsyth County.

Good luck with the move! Hope everything goes smoothly for you and your family. Take care.

Thank you so much for your input!! It sounds like a great peds. And def would be all the qualities I would want in a dr for my kids. I greatly appreciate your information! Our realtor in NC also mentioned Ardmore.
Thank you!

Old 05-23-2012, 01:20 PM

1,051 posts, read 2,298,581 times
What price range are you looking for in renting?

Old 05-23-2012, 05:59 PM

$800-$1150

Old 05-23-2012, 06:00 PM

3/2

Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 AM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Kernersville is a nice area, and the location is great given you have close access to both Greensboro and Winston-Salem. But if the best schools are your priority, you should consider the western part of the county. Mt. Tabor and West Forsyth high schools are top-notch, both making Newsweek's recent list of the top 1000 schools in the US. Reagan High is just as good IMO, although it didn't make the list (maybe because it's relatively new?). The feeder middle and elementary schools for these high schools enjoy great reputations as well.

I don't mean to imply that Kernersville schools are bad--they aren't. It's just that the bar is set pretty high around here.

And there are plenty of really good pediatricians in Forsyth County, so you need not limit yourself to Kernersville for that reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point