U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 12:09 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,647,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
It a free enterprise, but to lash out on a company because you dont agree with how they spend there money on a political cause is kinda lame.
Boycotts were a major and effective component of the Civil Rights, labor, and anti-Apartheid movements among others. They're one of the few forms of social protest that governments have little means of dealing with. Granted, this is a case of people not supporting a company because they don't discriminate for once, and after getting their way in general, so it basically misses the entire point of boycotting, but still.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 06:36 AM
LLN

4,984 posts, read 8,777,281 times
I have a problem with a corporation, having a PUBLIC, VOCAL position, and trying to influence voters. Everyone likes to blast Exxon and the like, and rightfully so, but a corp making a vocal, political stand, is just wrong IMHO. This has nothing to do with the subject or issue.

Basically, if you think it is cool for Replacements to promote a stance, you have a pretty hard time, intellectually, with Exxon buying votes to destroy the environment.

I mean this is the real damage that the supreme court has done, treating a corporation like a person, in regards to political sway.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:00 AM

5,766 posts, read 4,260,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
I have a problem with a corporation, having a PUBLIC, VOCAL position, and trying to influence voters. Everyone likes to blast Exxon and the like, and rightfully so, but a corp making a vocal, political stand, is just wrong IMHO. This has nothing to do with the subject or issue.

Basically, if you think it is cool for Replacements to promote a stance, you have a pretty hard time, intellectually, with Exxon buying votes to destroy the environment.

I mean this is the real damage that the supreme court has done, treating a corporation like a person, in regards to political sway.
I agree. No matter which side one is on, politically, I don't like the idea of a business or corporation taking a vocal, political stand, for or against any hot button issue unless it's something everybody can agree on like feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, or research on terminal disease. I think all it does is further polarize the sides, and nothing good has ever come from widening the gap between one side or the other.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:37 PM

231 posts, read 612,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
I agree. No matter which side one is on, politically, I don't like the idea of a business or corporation taking a vocal, political stand, for or against any hot button issue unless it's something everybody can agree on like feeding the hungry, sheltering the homeless, or research on terminal disease. I think all it does is further polarize the sides, and nothing good has ever come from widening the gap between one side or the other.
The fact that everyone doesn't agree on such a fundamental issue is exactly the problem.
There are logical arguments against the gov't feeding the hungry and sheltering the homeless (though I don't subscribe to them), but there is no rational defense to abridging equal rights and equal protection under the law.

Old 06-29-2012, 01:51 PM

3,271 posts, read 2,647,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
It's the guy's company, he can do whatever he wants with it. For the same reason nobody bats an eye at Jimbob's Towing company putting a Jesus fish on their signage, or Cookout printing scripture references on their cups and bags.

Exxon's a different thing altogether; a largely unknown and unaccountable group of shareholders working in concert to undermine elected governments worldwide through bribery for their own economic gain. And given how the international oil market works you really don't have the option of just not shopping there, unlike Replacements Ltd, Jimbob's Towing, or Cookout. No matter where you get gas at, some of it has gone through an Exxon rig, refinery, or distribution channel.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:44 PM

97 posts, read 192,068 times
Are their not more important issues than if someone is gay or straight...that is so 1990's.

Gay people should be able to marry and be just as miserable as straight people...lol Just saying.

Old 07-02-2012, 06:17 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,348,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte2Advance View Post
Are their not more important issues than if someone is gay or straight...that is so 1990's.

Gay people should be able to marry and be just as miserable as straight people...lol Just saying.
So what you're saying is this is not about being anti-gay as much as it is about stopping gays from making the same mistakes as straight people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point