U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:33 PM

4 posts, read 4,730 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have recommendations for phone, internet and cable in Winston Salem? Would prefer to avoid Time Warner, Comcast & ATT. Clearwire for ISP seems interesting but the speeds look slow. Are there any local companies that provide services?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2012, 04:45 PM

28,554 posts, read 62,302,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwils1 View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for phone, internet and cable in Winston Salem?
Would prefer to avoid Time Warner, Comcast & ATT.
That makes your options and choices even more limited.
Quote:
Clearwire for ISP seems interesting but the speeds look slow.
Are there any local companies that provide services?
If you come across anything viable... be sure to let us all know.

I have the TWC triple package and aside from when the power went out briefly (twice last summer)
I've had no complaints with service. Price is outrageous but service is fine.

hth

Old 05-30-2012, 05:27 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,323,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwils1 View Post
Does anyone have recommendations for phone, internet and cable in Winston Salem? Would prefer to avoid Time Warner, Comcast & ATT. Clearwire for ISP seems interesting but the speeds look slow. Are there any local companies that provide services?
Two cans and string? You eliminated pretty much everything else.
Sprint does offer Internet with their data plan that can be used on your PC/laptop without the phone attached. The company I work for uses it and the speeds seem decent and the signal is more reliable than the cell signal.
Currently I'm using ATT U-verse, been happy with it so far and I have faster internet for less than Earthlink (TWC).

Old 05-30-2012, 07:57 PM

97 posts, read 254,601 times
My cell phone and internet service is through Cricket. Frankly, I don't recommend their internet service- it's $35.00/month, and is pretty much glorified dial-up. It's fine for me but most people would rather pay more for faster connection. I love my cell phone service though- around $60/month, unlimited minutes, data, etc. The service is perfect for me because I rarely travel. Though they've expanded their service area big time over the years, you won't have service if you're out of their area. If you travel out of state often, this wouldn't be a good option for you. People used to make fun of people who had Cricket service because they figured their customers didn't qualify for plans with other carriers but I went with them because I simply talked on the phone too much to pay for all the minutes I'd use and needed the unlimited minutes. Back then (2001) nobody else offered that. Now, a lot more people have cell phone service with them because it's affordable- a set bill every month and unlimited everything. Sprint is also an option you might want to consider- a little more expensive but better service overall and offers unlimited minutes and data. For cable, I'm afraid you're stuck with TWC unless their are other options I'm not aware of. They'll offer you the 12-month introductory price, then jack it up sky high after that. If you call to cancel, they'll transfer you to the resolution department and I've always just told them either lower my price to what new customers would pay or disconnect my service and they always do and they're nice about it. I've never been rude to them but I just tell them it's pretty dirty of TWC to raise customers' rates so incredibly high simply because they're established customers. They will work with you and I guess they make enough money from the customers who don't complain or are happy with the price that they're flexible. You could go with sattelite, but be prepared for lots of service interruption during spring and fall when it rains a lot. Things seemed a lot simpler when we all just paid BellSouth once a month so we could plug a phone into our living room wall and cable was 50 channels and one wire that was split to run to each room...

Old 05-30-2012, 10:23 PM

273 posts, read 851,314 times
I think I hashed this over a while ago on here, and honestly not much has changed in offerings in the area. What you see is what you get. TWC will give you the fastest speeds unless you're in davidson county with Plex or Greensboro with Uverse. I actually have Clear at the office, and it's "ok". Typical dl speeds around 6mbps, unless there is severe weather. Biggest complaint, if you're uploading or downloading anything, it doesn't know how to manage the connection and uses all the bandwidth, so additional tasks, like browsing, streaming audio/video is significantly affected. They also throttle, and it's at around 50gb a month(pretty low in my opinion, esp if you're streaming anything). I found that out after a setting got changed on a pc so the entire hard drive backed up to an online repository vs just a folder. That said, for their price now, you would probably be better off with dsl. For me, I just stay with TWC at home for the speed available in my area since it also streams my tv viewing.

For cable, I suggest going without and using a roku with hulu and netflix...just my 2 cents.

Phone, Ooma. Quality is always great and you'll recoup the costs vs att in a few months. (this is on TWC internet)

Old 05-31-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwebb81 View Post
I think I hashed this over a while ago on here, and honestly not much has changed in offerings in the area. What you see is what you get. TWC will give you the fastest speeds unless you're in davidson county with Plex or Greensboro with Uverse. I actually have Clear at the office, and it's "ok". Typical dl speeds around 6mbps, unless there is severe weather. Biggest complaint, if you're uploading or downloading anything, it doesn't know how to manage the connection and uses all the bandwidth, so additional tasks, like browsing, streaming audio/video is significantly affected. They also throttle, and it's at around 50gb a month(pretty low in my opinion, esp if you're streaming anything). I found that out after a setting got changed on a pc so the entire hard drive backed up to an online repository vs just a folder. That said, for their price now, you would probably be better off with dsl. For me, I just stay with TWC at home for the speed available in my area since it also streams my tv viewing.

For cable, I suggest going without and using a roku with hulu and netflix...just my 2 cents.

Phone, Ooma. Quality is always great and you'll recoup the costs vs att in a few months. (this is on TWC internet)
No U-verse in W-S?

Old 05-31-2012, 07:50 PM

273 posts, read 851,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
No U-verse in W-S?
Not where I'm at. It appears they are just re-branding their standard dsl as uverse for some areas of WS tho. At least I thought uverse was supposed to be fiber, and support much higher speeds than 12mbps.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akwebb81 View Post
Not where I'm at. It appears they are just re-branding their standard dsl as uverse for some areas of WS tho. At least I thought uverse was supposed to be fiber, and support much higher speeds than 12mbps.
I think its just with new construction while the rest is fiber/copper. I have U-verse and click along at 18mbps and I know for a fact they are using the phone line once inside the building. Because it took a year before U-verse was available I'm reasonably certain it's just not rebranded DSL.
Northstate went the same route with Plex. At one point they were touting Lightstar which was fiber optic end to end but it was in new construction only. The advertised speeds were absolutely blistering.

Old 06-01-2012, 04:15 PM

24 posts, read 54,218 times
Windstream has service in some parts of the county. It depends on which side of town you live on...

Old 07-11-2012, 09:20 AM

164 posts, read 144,126 times
Can anyone comment on ATT's DSL service in WS. We finally moved to WS and I am seeing that internet service is expensive compared to what I paid in NY except for art, but they are asking $100 for the modem.

TWC is asking $35 pm + $2.50 monthly modem fee + $40 installation charge !

Thinking of going with ATT DSL and will try finding a modem elsewhere for a lesser price. Will a uVerse gateway modem work with D
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point