U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 02:29 PM

10 posts, read 12,341 times

Advertisements

Just graduated from college so I'm excited about the opportunity hope I can get the job can anyone tell me about the Winston area? Single moving from a small town if offered the job.

Last edited by jdub0385; 06-04-2012 at 02:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 05:53 PM

2,648 posts, read 6,087,717 times
Good luck, I guess. Great that you have the interview opportunity, and RJR treats its employees well, but it's not for everyone. I interviewed with them a number of years ago, and when I first walked into the building the smell of stale smoke was everywhere. Then in the conference room where I was interviewed there were two half-full ashtrays on the table. Nasty. Fortunately I had a couple of other options, and while their offer was very competitive, being a non-smoker I'm glad I didn't end up there.

Edit to add: I think you'll like Winston-Salem, especially coming from a small town. It has lots of bigger-city amenities, while not being too big. The downtown area is nice, and there are lots of things to do both here and in the surrounding area. Hope things work out for you.

Old 06-04-2012, 08:32 PM

3,867 posts, read 6,661,069 times
Smitty's Notes is probably one of the best places to start to get a feel for Winston-Salem. Good luck with the job and move. I agree with the above post. I think W-S is the best of both worlds, not too big, but offers enough.

Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 PM

5 posts, read 7,207 times
I wouldn't move to Winston-Salem. Greensboro is a lot larger city with less crime, friendlier people, and more to do. Yep, Greensboro is better than Winston-Salem.

Old 06-04-2012, 11:16 PM

22,974 posts, read 58,600,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chewies View Post
I wouldn't move to Winston-Salem. Greensboro is a lot larger city with less crime, friendlier people, and more to do. Yep, Greensboro is better than Winston-Salem.
That is your opinion and your choice but if he working at RJR there no need for commuting when it not needed.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:50 AM

2,603 posts, read 4,281,319 times
Winston Salem is nice. But definitely be looking for other opportunities in a year or so. Tobacco is a dying industry.

Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,087,717 times
Quote:
This is one of the dumbest posts of the year. You really should check the facts before making yourself look silly. Using 2010 numbers from city-data pages:

Population: GSO 270,000 W-S 230,000
Yes, Greensboro is larger, but not a "lot" larger.

Regarding crime, while Greensboro's overall crime index is slightly lower (442 vs. 483), GSO has almost double the murders, more robberies, and more auto thefts than W-S. Winston has more thefts, rapes, and burglaries, so the crime stats overall aren't significantly different. Just depends on whether you'd rather be burglarized and raped, or robbed and murdered.

Friendlier people? Judgment call, sorry if people don't like you.

More to do? Doubt it.

This is not to slam Greensboro at all--it is indeed a great place to live. But it has nothing on Winston-Salem. And besides, the great thing about the Triad is that you can easily take advantage of all both cities have to offer (and High Point too).

Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,600,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdub0385 View Post
Just graduated from college so I'm excited about the opportunity hope I can get the job can anyone tell me about the Winston area? Single moving from a small town if offered the job.
When will you have an interview? Have you applied other places in the Triad?
This way you can have options or leverage.
Will you be looking to rent or buy?

Old 06-05-2012, 11:50 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,105,692 times
OP, I hope it works out for you! We love living in W-S - and we like Greensboro as well (it's absurd IMO that people think there is all that much difference between W-S and Gboro). We're in northeastern Davidson County. We're about 20 minutes from Hanes Mall or downtown W-S, 25-30 minutes from most parts of Greensboro.

Old 06-05-2012, 11:56 AM

10 posts, read 12,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Good luck, I guess. Great that you have the interview opportunity, and RJR treats its employees well, but it's not for everyone. I interviewed with them a number of years ago, and when I first walked into the building the smell of stale smoke was everywhere. Then in the conference room where I was interviewed there were two half-full ashtrays on the table. Nasty. Fortunately I had a couple of other options, and while their offer was very competitive, being a non-smoker I'm glad I didn't end up there.

Edit to add: I think you'll like Winston-Salem, especially coming from a small town. It has lots of bigger-city amenities, while not being too big. The downtown area is nice, and there are lots of things to do both here and in the surrounding area. Hope things work out for you.
Thanks well I have an AS degree in electronics engineering I want to begin a BS in Electrical Engineering if I get this job... The pay is attractive but I agree its much more to a job than pay. I'll keep you updated.

Quote:
My sis lives in Gboro I've been to both places just never lived in either city. I just would like to stay in a safe neighborhood near singles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coped View Post
Winston Salem is nice. But definitely be looking for other opportunities in a year or so. Tobacco is a dying industry.
So you don't think the job has growth opportunities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point