U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 08:55 AM

4,582 posts, read 4,402,977 times

Advertisements

I supported the idea of Major League Baseball in the Triad. From what I understand if the major league park had been built on the Guilford/Forsyth County line, it would have included a Six Flags themepark on the Guilford County side. (like the Six Flags near the Texas Rangers ballpark) In fact there was mention of the possibility that Six Flags would have even taken over Emerald Pointe water park in Greensboro.

The problem was the proposed location. Major League parks were starting to be built downtown or close to downtown. I understand why it was proposed to built on the county line. The only way major league baseball would work here is if the team had regional support. Greensboro and Winston-Salem alone are not big enough for a major league baseball team. Also by proposing a downtown major league ballpark, it would have to go in either Greensboro or Winston-Salem and there would be a bitter fight between the two cities for it. However I did notice a conceptual plan for a major league soccer stadium in the center of the Triad (Heart of the Triad plan).

Also back in the 1960s The Triad came very close to landing an NFL team using the "Greenbay model". There was an effort to lure the New England Patriots to the Triad. Triad residents at the time supported a tax to build the stadium but local leaders voted against it. The plan was to build a sports complex that included an NFL stadium and a NASCAR track. The North Carolina Zoological Park was suppose to be built there as a part of the project but instead it was built in Randolph County south of Greensboro near Asheboro. The regional park that was proposed as a part of the project did eventually get built.

rendering of the NFL stadium and NASCAR track that was planned to be built between Greensboro and Winston-Salem on the Guilford/Forsyth county line.

http://blog.news-record.com/staff/ou...S_tom_ward.jpg

Rendering of the Major League Baseball stadium between Greensboro and Winston-Salem

http://www.downtownstadium.org/1998MLB.jpg

Now that Charlotte is getting ready to build a AAA downtown ballpark, the city has killed hopes for a major league team for many years to come. The AAA stadium is not designed for major league expansion.

Also I don't see Major League Baseball going to the Triangle either. The Durham Bulls are too popular there.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-09-2012 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2012, 09:21 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,148,349 times
Suburban sports arenas/stadiums/parks are so 1970. If you can't build it in a central city, don't even bother.

Old 07-09-2012, 03:33 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,309,010 times
I was reading where the Hopper's stadium (Newbridge park) was designed for expansion. I has been expanded once already, but I don't think there is enough room for MLB seating.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WFW&P View Post
I was reading where the Hopper's stadium (Newbridge park) was designed for expansion. I has been expanded once already, but I don't think there is enough room for MLB seating.
NewBridge Bank Park can expand to a AAA stadium but not MLB. Even as a AAA stadium it would be a tight fit. Eugene Street prevents more seats from being added in the out field. The maintenance facility could be moved to make room for more seating and the grassy berms could be replaced with permanent seats.

Old 07-10-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
NewBridge Bank Park can expand to a AAA stadium but not MLB. Even as a AAA stadium it would be a tight fit. Eugene Street prevents more seats from being added in the out field. The maintenance facility could be moved to make room for more seating and the grassy berms could be replaced with permanent seats.
Hoppers aren't AAA?

Old 07-10-2012, 08:43 PM

479 posts, read 731,121 times
Honestly, I prefer not to have ANY MAJOR sports in the Triad. Nor would I care for an amusement park.

Why? Quality of life. Those elements would draw even more masses to relocate here, and really prefer folks primarily move to Charlotte or Raleigh. I'm not against growth, I just don't want to have to deal with a gazillion extra folks commuting to work.

Plus, I like going to the Minor League games. I like that we have a professional soccer team. I like that Greensboro host several NCAA events, and that there's an ACC team over in Winston-Salem. Wish we had minor league hockey again...maybe someday.

The Big Leagues? Nah, those other cities can have that chit. It's much more fun to fly to or drive to a periodic Major sports event vs. dealing with the weekly hassels that are attracted by it.

Last edited by tegota; 07-10-2012 at 09:47 PM..

Old 07-11-2012, 06:08 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,105,692 times
Quote:
Hoppers aren't AAA?
Single A

Old 07-11-2012, 06:14 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,148,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tegota View Post
Honestly, I prefer not to have ANY MAJOR sports in the Triad. Nor would I care for an amusement park.

Why? Quality of life. Those elements would draw even more masses to relocate here, and really prefer folks primarily move to Charlotte or Raleigh. I'm not against growth, I just don't want to have to deal with a gazillion extra folks commuting to work.

Plus, I like going to the Minor League games. I like that we have a professional soccer team. I like that Greensboro host several NCAA events, and that there's an ACC team over in Winston-Salem. Wish we had minor league hockey again...maybe someday.

The Big Leagues? Nah, those other cities can have that chit. It's much more fun to fly to or drive to a periodic Major sports event vs. dealing with the weekly hassels that are attracted by it.
Is this a parody post Are you serious?

Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Hoppers aren't AAA?
I know. They are single A but the stadium is currently AA standards and can expand to AAA.

But Major League Baseball in not coming to North Carolina anytime soon unless Charlotte tears down a newly built AAA stadium to build a major league park. It may happen in another 15 to 20 years. In Charlotte, a 20 year old stadium is considered ancient. Some leaders are already talking about a new stadium with a retractable roof for the Carolina Panthers.

The Triad and Triangle can forget about Major League Baseball.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 07-11-2012 at 08:07 AM..

Old 07-11-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
Single A
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I know. They are single A but the stadium is currently AA standards and can expand to AAA.

But Major League Baseball in not coming to North Carolina anytime soon unless Charlotte tears down a newly built AAA stadium to build a major league park. It may happen in another 15 to 20 years. In Charlotte, a 20 year old stadium is considered ancient. Some leaders are already talking about a new stadium with a retractable roof for the Carolina Panthers.

The Triad and Triangle can forget about Major League Baseball.
I asked because I had assumed they were a AAA team since they are supported by the Marlins, or does this rating apply to the stadium only?
FWIW, I don't get too involved with baseball. I go to the Hoppers' games; eat, drink, and enjoy. MLB is boring to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point