U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 06:46 AM

60 posts, read 111,939 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are moving to Winston from the Syracuse area in August and I'm looking for a great BBQ place. Does anyone have a recommendation for Winston area restaurants that serve Eastern Carolina style BBQ? I've always preferred vinegar-based sauces over the tomato/brown sugar based sauces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 07:10 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,083,157 times
Hi Lion, and welcome to Winston-Salem! The only place around here to get eastern style BBQ is Prissy Polly's in Kernersville. They have both eastern and Lexington style so can choose whichever you want. While it doesn't really compare to the best of the eastern NC BBQ places, it is good enough considering you'd otherwise have to drive a few hours.

I grew up in the eastern part of the state so I'm partial, but Lexington style isn't bad--just different. It's usually a bit wetter with sauce, and they only use pork shoulders (instead of whole hog), so the texture is different. And just to clarify, Lexington style sauces are vinegar-based, but they have just a touch of ketchup, perhaps a little brown sugar, and other spices. It's actually closer to eastern-style than the thick, bottled type sauces like KC Masterpiece. You will find these kinds of sauces farther west in NC, usually referred to as "western" style. But sometimes people refer to Lexington as western-style, so it can be confusing.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:43 AM

Default Thanks for the info arby!

Actually, it sounds like Lexington style may also suit my taste pretty well and we'll be sure to check out Prissy Polly's.

Old 06-11-2012, 11:54 AM

^ Definitely try Little Richard's. There's one on Country Club Rd. which is good, but the one in Clemmons is said to be slightly better. These are the best options in the W-S area, IMO. You should also venture out and try the Lexington places like Lexington #1 and Cook's. There's also Stamey's in Greensboro which is worth a try.

Old 06-11-2012, 12:50 PM

Default What's your impression of Bib's?

They seem to get mixed reviews from what I've read...

Old 06-11-2012, 12:53 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,742,906 times
I have probably eaten as much bbq as anyone, my fat gut is testament to that. I bore quickly of "best this" and "best that". I recommend you try all you can find. None of it is bad, different maybe, but not bad. I love both eastern and lexington, and I just eat it, and don't try to analyze it. There are millions of so called bbq experts in these parts, don't buy in to that crap, just try a bunch of q-joints, find the one you like.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:46 PM

Default Try all I can? Sold!

We'll definitely be working our way through as many Triad bbq joints as possible. I just figured I would start with a "hit list" and work our way from there...I'm also interested in checking out a few of the bbq festivals.

Old 06-11-2012, 01:55 PM

^^Lion, of course I don't know what reviews you're reading, or which specific restaurants, but in general BBQ places often get mixed reviews. I've seen some reviews from people who aren't familiar with NC bbq--they grew up on beef, or they don't like the vinegar taste, don't like slaw, etc. Others are impressed the first time they try it. While LLN has a good point about trying different places, I don't think the opinions are all "crap" as he says. I think the key is, like reviews of most anything, you can get an indication from the overall trends. People can have bad experiences at even the best restaurants, but usually if the restaurant is truly bad it will tell in the reviews. There are a few in W-S that are not very good, but even for those some people swear by them. So by all means try as many as you can, but the reviews can at least help set the priorities for you.

Old 06-11-2012, 03:03 PM

676 posts, read 2,801,846 times
Out of the restaurants I have tried I have liked Bibbs the best. Lexington has a huge BBQ festival and a website with a tour of BBQ restaurants to try for the Lexington style experience.

Old 06-11-2012, 04:54 PM

^ Bib's is good, but it's not NC-style barbecue. Their specialty is ribs done with a dry rub, sort of a Memphis style I suppose. The pulled pork is nothing like what you find in traditional NC barbecue restaurants. Even the name is a dead giveaway--any self-respecting NC barbecue joint calls it "barbecue", not "pulled pork".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point