U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2012, 09:30 AM

5 posts, read 13,946 times

Advertisements

Hello,

At the end of July, my Fiance and I are moving to Winston-Salem from Durham so that i can attend UNCSA for grad school. We're having a bit of trouble finding options for housing that fit our criteria.

We want a 1-2 bedroom apt or ouse, not part of a complex (duplex or similar is fine), with washer&dryer, at $650 a month max.

We've found one potential place, but we want to make sure that we are making the right decision before we commit. Are we likely to find anything else that fits our needs?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 09:11 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,759,419 times
The school has apts, Center Stage, I think they are called. Probably already booked, but you ought to check. I think you can find a house in the area for about that much. Homes are generally small, but my daughter attends (she is in Center Stage) and most of her friends have houses. I will check with her and see if she has ideas. Expect reply by tomorrow evening.

Good Luck. lln

Old 06-12-2012, 01:36 PM
LLN

Talked to daughter, within mile of school, you are gonna be hard pressed for $650. The place she is staying this summer is onlly $600 but she said it is not so nice (Yikes...the first time I have heard that) has a washer and dryer, but no dishwasher. The Center Stage is for students only, so that washes that out.

I would call school, and asked (persists) for some recommendations of agents, in town, who help students, there are bound to be some. Seems like most apts/houses get lined up by word of mouth as opposed to signs or ads.

Good Luck and be prepared for total immersion at UNCSA. My daughter works 12 - 14 hour days routinely. She was on a movie crew at start of summer for six weeks, working 12 hour days --- was a break from routine. But, if you are committed the place is truly awesome, a true treasure for the state.

lln

Old 06-12-2012, 01:47 PM
LLN

OK, I called the book store looking for leads. The lady there was hyper nice. She says CRAIGS LIST, getting closer to Aug 1, will have lots of places, there are just none listed right now .. she checked while we were talking.

She said they also get a LOT OF LISTINGS on the bulletin board in the book store, but that again, in June it was empty. She indicated you would have no problem with 2 BR and 650 -700 as long as you did not have pets. However, I am sure you want something before the last minute.

She also offered to drive around this pm and look for any signs. She lives in area and absolutely did not mind. She will email me with any information that she finds. Isn't that something?

This has been the attitude I have experienced with EVERYONE at UNCSA since my daughter has been there. Good luck.

lln

Old 06-26-2012, 07:01 AM

5 posts, read 13,946 times
Thanks for your help! We actually managed to find a place through a realtor that's about half a mile away from the school for only 550!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point