U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2012, 10:44 AM

2 posts, read 2,525 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am having been trying to relocate to NC for the past 4yrs. It has never been the right time. Currently, I am employed with GMAC Insurance which is in Winston Salem area. My first choice was Charlotte because I am a single woman in my early 30's and I like the city feel. I have some family in that area also. The issue is that I have not had employment opportunities in Charlotte. I have a strong social service background as i have worked for Welfare Department and Section 8. I am currently pursing my masters in Education looking to getting into Higher Education. Should I just try to transfer to WS? Should I wait for something in Charlotte? Please weigh in I am looking to relocate at the end of August.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 12:09 PM

1,587 posts, read 2,119,778 times
Well Winston is very close to Greensboro and has alot of activities that Charlotte offers. Of course it isn't Charlotte, but is not too far from both Charlotte AND Raleigh/Durham. Overall, I think you should ensure you have employment in NC before you move there- and Winston is a beautiful area. We just left that area and I miss it already!

Old 06-14-2012, 01:27 PM
LLN

4,981 posts, read 8,748,091 times
Go to Winston. Not as big as Charlotte but big enough with a good feel to it. You will be thrilled you made the decision. Winston Salem is routinely rated as a great place to live. You are centrally located, it is just better!!!

Old 06-14-2012, 04:05 PM

10,401 posts, read 19,422,969 times
Quote:
Should I just try to transfer to WS? Should I wait for something in Charlotte? Please weigh in I am looking to relocate at the end of August.
We aren't you, so how can we tell you what you "should" do? If getting to NC is of highest priority, I'd say go on and come to Winston-Salem. But none of us knows your exact situation, or whether you'd like Winston or not..a stranger on the Internet can never tell you what you "should" do. Only you can make that decision by investigating both possibilities and the ramifications of each, then deciding. Since you seem bound and determined to come to NC in some fashion, it does sound like a transfer to Winston-Salem would satify that goal. You would then be close enough to drive to interviews in Charlotte if you got any.

Old 06-14-2012, 05:23 PM

4 posts, read 9,063 times
Ok, I'll share my view, but agree with the above poster that 'we don't know you' so it really is hard to say what YOU should do.

I am a 30/yo single female who relocated to the Triad early this year (I live in Greensboro/not WS), and I came here directly from a top 10 (size-wise) city, though I have lived in about 15 different cities, of varying sizes, over the years.

For me, while I love the weather, the easy commutes, and the (super)friendly people, it is a bit slow for my tastes. There is nothing 'lacking' per se--it is just very different (part of this could be I went from living downtown in a big city where I could walk anywhere/there was constantly 'something' going on/ to living in a rather suburban area). I tend to feel like this may be THE ideal area to raise a family or retire, but just isn't quite 'it' for a single, non-20s woman.

I'm in no way trying to bash the area--it is VERY nice and if Mr. Right happens to appear in the next 6-8 months, I may well stay forever, but if not, I think I would move on. It just feels very "family" here to me (again, not bad, just not where I'm at). And while there is plenty of stuff to do and plenty of nice people, I find myself feeling a bit lonely in the 'single and 30s' range (or at least the single and 30-somethings that you would actually want to know ).

So my advice to you (whom I've never met ) would be-evaluate your priorities and really assess before moving (and, though I'm sure others will say it--these days you really can't just take off without a job and hope for the best). If getting to NC ASAP is #1 then go for Winston, if a more robust (potentially) social life is more important, perhaps wait (and again, I don't live in WS so feel free to ignore my opinion).

Old 06-15-2012, 06:59 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,087,717 times
^ AJ, nice post. I just want to offer some encouragement and say "don't give up on Greensboro yet". All those families you mention came about because singles managed to find each other, so it definitely can happen for you too!

Old 06-15-2012, 06:50 PM

4 posts, read 9,063 times
arbyunc--thanks! I appreciate the encouragement. I will certainly be out and about trying to enjoy myself for (at least) the duration of my lease. This is as VERY nice area, so hopefully a VERY nice guy is out there somewhere waiting for me as well, until then, I'll try to enjoy (or at least adjust to) the quiet here as well...

Old 06-22-2012, 04:12 PM

75 posts, read 356,965 times
As far as jobs, if you lose your present job you are probably going to be able to find something in Charlotte before W-S. My husband gets calls monthly from headhunters hoping to lure him to Charlotte, but we don't like the fast pace. If you live in W-S you can commute to Greensboro or even Charlotte, but it's a rough one. I don't think we have heard from a W-S headhunter in months, maybe a year or more. However, it does to us have more of a hometown feel than Charlotte, and it's worth staying put.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point