U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2012, 04:13 AM

17 posts, read 20,989 times

Advertisements

I need to decide between Greensboro or Wilmington for university...I live in Burlington so ive been to Greensboro quite a few times and I really love the place and know a few people that live there. Wilmington on the other hand i've vacationed to (though I havent been there in a while) and I love the idea of being near the beach (especially for college), but I dont really know much about the city other than it is smaller than Greensboro and i've heard traffic is a nightmare..also clearly since its 3 hours away I dont really know people down there...though being that ill be in university I figured that wouldnt be a problem.

Just looking for some insight on this one, thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2012, 06:06 AM

2,647 posts, read 6,084,360 times
My advice is to concentrate on comparing the schools, not the cities they're in. Either is a fine place to live, so that's not really the question you need to answer. You go to school to prepare you for a career, so pick whichever one you think will do the best job of that given your own goals.

And by the way, I chuckled a bit at the "traffic is a nightmare" comment. Whoever told you that is either from very small town, or they've never spent much time in Wilmington.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:09 AM

Well ive got my majors down to either History or Film Production...which i know UNCWs Film program is rated pretty well, but likewise the same is said for UNCGs history/education programs

Old 06-27-2012, 07:20 AM

273 posts, read 850,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMxt View Post
Well ive got my majors down to either History or Film Production...which i know UNCWs Film program is rated pretty well, but likewise the same is said for UNCGs history/education programs
Well, there's your answer. Figure out your major and you have your school. It's funny though, everyone's story I've talked to who has gone to Wilmington goes like "I went to UNCW for a year, then I moved back and finished school at (fill in the blank)" Seems to be a lot of people get caught up in the "i'm living at the beach" instead of "I'm at school" thing. Just my observations...

Old 06-27-2012, 06:26 PM

479 posts, read 730,807 times
Yes, a good percentage of freshmen drop by the end of the first year, or transfer. Those statistics are available on the internet for individual colleges/universities.

Think it's important to visit each city, and pick up the "vibe." In addition to picking up on the campus vibe...

Old 06-28-2012, 05:22 AM

Thanks for the advice guys...I think I am going to go with UNC-Greensboro...I love the city of Greensboro, and while Wilmington would be pretty awesome too the main appeal to me is the Beach, which hey I can always go down on the weekends for a vacation every once in a while , but I just feel like Greensboro has the right fit.

I have been mulling over this decision for a couple of months now, and pretty much made up my mind that one way or another i was going to reach a decision by this Sunday, so I sat down and did some hard thinking last night.

Now if I can just find a decent 1 bed/bath apartment in GSO that wont cause me to go broke! if anyone has any recommendations in the 500-1000 range i'd love to hear them!

Old 06-28-2012, 05:26 AM

22,769 posts, read 26,205,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMxt View Post
I need to decide between Greensboro or Wilmington for university...I live in Burlington so ive been to Greensboro quite a few times and I really love the place and know a few people that live there. Wilmington on the other hand i've vacationed to (though I havent been there in a while) and I love the idea of being near the beach (especially for college), but I dont really know much about the city other than it is smaller than Greensboro and i've heard traffic is a nightmare..also clearly since its 3 hours away I dont really know people down there...though being that ill be in university I figured that wouldnt be a problem.

Just looking for some insight on this one, thanks for any help!
i've lived in both; wilmington is more fun. it is also more expensive, and more of a hassle.

that said, you're not going on vacation, you're going to school. i'd advise you to pick whichever is stronger in your desired academic field.

Old 06-28-2012, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
i've lived in both; wilmington is more fun. it is also more expensive, and more of a hassle.

that said, you're not going on vacation, you're going to school. i'd advise you to pick whichever is stronger in your desired academic field.
thats pretty much what I did, Film is an interest I have and I love messing around making youtube videos and the like but I honestly have become far more passionate about History and Education in general

Old 06-28-2012, 09:28 PM

479 posts, read 730,807 times
Think you're coming to a wise choice. There's a lot more variety of opportunities you can be considered for with History.

I love the city of Greensboro too. Moved from Tampa, to Wilmington, to Greensboro, to Dallas, back to Greensboro.

There is no place like home.

Old 07-15-2012, 03:32 PM

4 posts, read 5,484 times
If it's not too late i'll throw a vote to wilmington. HANDS DOWN! The atmosphere for a college is far better. The beach, music scene, bar scene, etc. is way better in Wilmington. I've been visiting for 10 years and lived in GSO for 1 year. I'm 32 and see Wilmington as a WAY better place to live. Yes it is more expensive.

That being said, you go to school for the school so whatever fits best will effect the rest of your career and life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point