U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2012, 09:35 PM

11 posts, read 18,064 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving to Greensboro to work for UNCG in mid-August and searching a one-bed room apartment right now. I have no idea of the city, but after reviewing apartment reviews and the city's crime maps, I thought the north west area might be good (safe, convenient, and relatively speaking affordable). But, I may well be wrong. Can anybody let me know if these places are safe and located not terribly inconvenient? I may not be able to fly to Greensboro due to my work, but really don't want to move in a place esp. with bad management and maintenance.

Lincoln Green
Lake Brandt
Mission Battleground Park
Bell Brassfield
Park Forest Apartment
Hunt's View
Hampton Downs
Kensington Place
Amesbury on the West Market (this place is not near the above apartments, though. I am not sue about the neighborhood, so appreciate your help me figure it out).

Of course, if there are any other good and safe apartment, please let me know.

My price range is up to $650-700, but I would be flexible as I don't want to move in a bad place by choosing to pay less.

I prefer the 2nd or the top floor (as a woman, I don't feel comfortable to live on the ground floor.) and ideally a sunny place. Your advice would be greatly appreciated!

Soycat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2012, 11:34 PM

479 posts, read 730,807 times
All of those are relatively safe and convienant to UNC-G. Sounds like you're looking for a place that has a good amount of natural light indoors?

Greensboro offers a lot of variety. Some areas are like a small town. Some are like a suburb. Some are like a suburb of a major metro. Some offer more of a bigger city feel.

Looking at Crime maps, there are some areas that are actually very safe to live. It's just that they're located near major shopping areas, or where a lot of people drive through. So naturally there's more transient types of crimes reported vs. residential types of issues.

Age range, and general interests would help in making a recommendation or a place your criteria might have elimintated to check out.

Old 07-07-2012, 09:02 AM

11 posts, read 18,064 times
Hi Tegota,

Thanks for your response. As I am thinking about going to Greensboro to see apartments in the next week or the following one, your advice is greatly appreciated as I can narrow down places to check during my very limited time of stay. Sorry that I didn't include the type of information that help you make a recommendation in my inquiry post. Here are major determinants for me. I know there are many, but please know that I will be flexible as I don't think I can get the place to meet all these requirements.

I also should add that having considered all the following factors, I started feeling that a downtown might be a good place for me. I initially thought the downtown was a very dangerous place, but it appears that's not really true. So, I am adding CityView, Greenway at Fisher Park, the Lofts at Greensborough Court, to my apt list. But, a downside is that apartments there are more expensive and I feel that apartments in places like northwest may be larger and more sunny. So, while I am very inclined to picking an apt in the downtown, I will keep options for other areas open.

- Safety is the most critical. I would at least a gated place, e.g., a main entrance is locked so that non-residents cannot get in. Or, if this is really not necessary in Greensboro, please let me know.
- A livery and convenient place (I don't necessarily need to live right above a bar as I don't drink. But having lived in New York for years and now in downtown Indy, I am so used to have almost everything -- a gym, a bank, a cafe, etc. etc.)
- I don't need a great city view, but don't want to live in a place where I can only see the wall of the next-door building. My current apartment has a tree right in front and it is very nice.
- Not too quite "family-oriented" (A very quiet place -- ideal for family -- makes me uneasy as I am so used to a city life.)
- A great gym with a swim pool nearby (looks like Y is the one?), and yes, if I can run and bike safe in that neighborhood, that would be super.
- Ideally close to UNCG (I will work there and hate to drive -- I cannot drive highway. But, I know I need to be flexible by living there..).
- Having a clean bathtub (Ok, I know I began sounding a little crazy, but I am Japanese and showering is not enough for us. What can I say...).
- Availability for parking for my car and space for bike. Ideally, these are included in the rent.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:20 PM

479 posts, read 730,807 times
You might check out Core Bridford Lake, which would give you multiple choices as to roads and shortcuts in getting to UNC-G. Apartments in Greensboro, NC - Bridford Lake It's a gated community, very sunny...has a super nice pool/lake view/and a jacuzzi deck. Lots of nice large windows and doors...letting natural light in. The storage rooms will easily handle a bicycle, they're shaped just perfect. Parking is free, and there are garages available to rent. It's a mile loop around the complex, which is nice for cycling or walking. The adjoining neighborhoods/side walks are safe for cycling. There's also Gibson Park nearby for easy access to the Bicentenial Greenway for running/hiking/cycling.

The Rush Wendover and Ragsdale YMCA are also very close. Bridford Lake's posted pricing is a bit higher than your intended budget, but almost no one ever pays that amount. I'd guess you could probably get a unit for around $700 and they're huge.

Area it's located in, you'll come across a lot of diversity. Swedish, Italians, Asian, India, Latin American, European, in addition to the usual local types; and transplants from all over. Outside of the college campus; around Adams Farm is probably the most culturally diverse area of town. Which isn't to say that other's are not; they're just not quite as well-rounded.

There are also several communities around Bridford Lakes that are very nice you might check out.

The options you'd mentioned downtown are excellent choices. Downtown Greensboro is a lot safer vs. larger metros. But it's always best to be cautious, and safest to try and get in before 10 PM.

Bell Brassfield might be a good option in the NW area. It'd give you easy access to Battleground Park, and they have a good percentage of single individuals of varying ages. Some of the other properties have lots and lots of trees and feel kind of darker. Lake Brandt apartments nearby, is a little further out, but they have an indoor heated pool, and easy access to the park as well. There's diversity in the NW area, but more so of a locals flavor.

oh, Bridford Lake has nice large Roman tubs...along with the shower. Hearing you're Japanese; I highly recommend the Adams Farm/Bridford Parkway area. So Abbington Place, The Steeplechase at Adams Farm, The Madison at Adams Farm, are other nearby possibilities. There's also Granite Ridge off Piedmont Parkway, they have large tubs along with the showers.

The Rush on Wendover there's almost always Japanese, Chinese, Koreans, participating at the gym.

Good luck in your search. The parks and recreation system for Greensboro is super. There's a lot to discover. You might ask each leasing agent about Employer Discounts. I'm sure UNC-G is on their list.

Last edited by tegota; 07-10-2012 at 09:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point